F.I. Cleaner and Engine RPM?'s - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > F.I. Cleaner and Engine RPM?'s

Flowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country small builder parts in stock!! Awesome price

Unread 05-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
04Sahara
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Question F.I. Cleaner and Engine RPM?'s

I have a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (base model) with the Pentastar V6 VVT engine.

First question, is it ok to occasionally put some fuel injector cleaner in the tank (usually after an oil change) just as a preventative thing or will it do harm to something that I may not be aware of?

Second question, when driving on the highway at 100kph (62mph) approximately how many rpm's should I be seeing on the tachometer?

Thank you.

04Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

FI cleaner

I always used it before an oil change so any deposits went bye bye with the oil change.

I use name brand gas from Shell, Exxon and Mobil so I havent used a FI cleaner in well over a decade. Every once in whil I put in premium since it
has more detergents etc in it.

Other thing you need to do is exercise the engine ie an "Italian tune up" which means take it to the redline in first and second gear and as close as you can get in third with the loud pedal on the floor to push as much fuel through the injectors, valves and combustion chamber as possible. This help keeps things clean. Yeah mpgs suck buts its cheaper in the long run. These days very few vehicles spend a lot of time in the top of the rpm band ith the injectors full open.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #3
boyvan
2012 WK 

Dave I had heard of "Italian tune up" but didn't know this was true with the newer technology as well. So far I have never pushed my GC - its a V6 anyways...but still. I am not saying you are wrong but I am curious to know what others think of this.
Unread 05-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
Dabitz

I tried to do the Italian tune up before and ended up with some black soot on my exhaust tip, so I guess it did something. However I couldn't push it much because it will get to 100mph on 3rd gear. Have to try it again at night or early in the morning when and where it's safe.
Dabitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
04Sahara
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hi: I tend to keep away from the 'off brand' gas and only use name brand with the additives unless there is no other choice at the time.

I've never heard of the "Italian Tune-Up"...think I'd be afraid of blowing up the engine or breaking something internal if I tried doing that.
Unread 05-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #6
rcwj04

2004 WJ 

...you won't blow the engine if you floor it....

Quote:
You forget that most members here don't own a crystal ball to tell you exactly what your problem is, specially with bad pictures that don't say/show much of anything... -Jacko84

Just a 19 year old kid with a Jeep, and broke because of it, and loving every moment.
---------------------------------------------------------------
2004 WJ Laredo 4.0 116k
2" BDS coils & Bilstein 5100's | Addco rear swaybar with energy bushings |
K&N FIPK | glasspack | plasti-dipped badges | 17" moabs | HID's, 245/65/17 Cooper Discover AT3 | Rola rack | Fawkes stand alone shackle tabs | Bed lined interior (what a pain that was)
rcwj04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
kens97sto171

Your seriously thinking that holding the throttle to the floor through 2-3 gears up to 90-100 MPH is gonna hurt something. An Italian tune up helps to blow carbon buildup off the piston crowns and valve train.
Engine should be FULLY up to normal temperature before you do it. And not on a brand new engine .. after 500-1000 miles go for it.
kens97sto171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #8
04Sahara
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hello 'kens': Yup, because I don't know, so I'm in kind of a learning curve and appreciate the advise from you people who know better than me can provide and I really value all input.

Thanx

Tom
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #9
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kens97sto171 View Post
Your seriously thinking that holding the throttle to the floor through 2-3 gears up to 90-100 MPH is gonna hurt something. An Italian tune up helps to blow carbon buildup off the piston crowns and valve train.
Engine should be FULLY up to normal temperature before you do it. And not on a brand new engine .. after 500-1000 miles go for it.
Doing that once a week for 30-60mins will actually do wonders for mpg's in the long run by keeping the carbon buildup in the intake at a min.

Driving like miss daisy will only hurt mpg's and performance after a few thousand miles due to the carbon buildup.
Unread 05-11-2013, 04:48 AM   #10
97HMCS
2012 WK 

I just did the Italian tune-up yesterday afternoon. I got it up to 90 MPH, but didn't realize there was a cop ahead of me and I was in a 25 MPH school zone. I attempted to explain to the officer how I had read about this on the internet, but he continued to write the citation and mumbled something about being a French model.
97HMCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 02:10 AM   #11
MMAXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97HMCS View Post
I just did the Italian tune-up yesterday afternoon. I got it up to 90 MPH, but didn't realize there was a cop ahead of me and I was in a 25 MPH school zone. I attempted to explain to the officer how I had read about this on the internet, but he continued to write the citation and mumbled something about being a French model.
lmao
MMAXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:30 AM   #12
Jackal01

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Sahara View Post
I've never heard of the "Italian Tune-Up"...think I'd be afraid of blowing up the engine or breaking something internal if I tried doing that.

'12 Laredo V6 ORA1|Terra Grappler 265-70-17|MB TKO 17x8.5|Silverstar Ultra low beams|Mopar Front and Rear WK2 slush mats|RRO 2.5" lift
BWoody extended sway bar links|K&N 77 Series Intake|Gibson Exhaust | Viair OBA | RRO Combo Winch mount| Q9000S winch| KC ProSport HID Hilites

Items for sale. See my thread for pictures. PM for details.

K&N 77 series cold air intake

Cobra 75 CB radio
Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #13
ChrisOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97HMCS View Post
Classic.
ChrisOC is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.