Exhaust help needed! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old Today, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Vnessa73

Exhaust help needed!

I have a 2012 GC Hemi. Just went to muffler shop today to have resonators removed and stock mufflers replaced with magnaflows. It sounds terrible. Does sound great at start up but once the rpms go down it sounds like a motor boat. Even when I step on the throttle it almost sounds "puffy" if that makes any sense. Either way, I HATE it! I watched hundreds of you tube videos before pulling the trigger on this where people replaced the factory exhaust and never heard of any sound issues. When driving it almost sounds like I have an exhaust leak. Annoyed I spent $370 for this! I need a fix. I wanted a nice deep rumble but is sounds horrible. Muffler guy said its most likely the MDS system causing it, my brother thinks keeping the factory tips might be causing the weird sound since they're sort of cupped at the ends. Any ideas?I dont even want to drive it, it sounds embarrassing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Today, 02:12 PM
Rexach
2017 JK Wrangler 

Vanessa, hi. I dont think is the MSD or the tip of the factory tips, you took the resonators out and those are there to cancel additional sound waves that can be annoying. I dont know what type of magnaflow muffler you ask for 2 stage or 3. I would go back an get the resontors back on, it will not cost you any horse power but it will give a better al around sound. Next time try to get a complete catback exhaust system. Good luck
post #3 of 6 Old Today, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Vnessa73

Initially I had them just put just the magnaflow mufflers on but it was still pretty quiet so I decided to have them delete the resonators also. Honestly it sounds good at first startup but once it idles for a few minutes it sounds ugly. They eliminated the H pipe too. Might it help you think if I have them add an x pipe where the resonator was?

post #4 of 6 Old Today, 02:44 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I posted this in your other thread, its not so simple:

"Its more than MDS, as an experiment, drive in 5 (or 6) instead of D as that disables MDS. There are a bunch of threads here on the subject, lots of dissatisfied folks doing similar things. The Corsa system is a good exhaust, otherwise look up cross pipe, where the suitcase muffler is replaced by a x pipe, I think there is reference to a DIY in the modification sticky thread.

But the Corsa system (same as the MOPAR accessory) seems to be the only one made without major complaints of one form or another."

Money is no object right? There is no halfway with the WK2 5.7 that doesn't have one compromise or another (sound crappy under certain conditions). Sound is so subjective, however. A crappy sound to one is just right to another.

Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #5 of 6 Old Today, 03:14 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Check this thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...haust-2208177/

And this one:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/.../#post26334378

There may be others, and there are a few on the corsa:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...l#post18046138

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...l#post19371545

Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #6 of 6 Old Today, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Vnessa73

I appreciate your help and I know this sounds crazy but the noise is not drone noise. Its more of a "puffing" sound. It actually sounds like an exhaust leak to me. I'll try to get a video and post it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.