Engine Light Already? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Engine Light Already?

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 10-17-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
joecomputerdude

Engine Light Already?

So, i've had my 2012 JGC Laredo X for less than 400 miles (10 days) and am already getting an engine light.

Took it to Autozone last night and they read the code. The guy there was trying to explain to me that there is a cartridge which passes the unburned fuel back into the combustion chamber when it hasn't fully burned. This is what was throwing the error.

Has anyone seen this before, any idea what this cartridge is and if it'll be covered under my warranty?

joecomputerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

A loose fuel cap or break in the evaporative vacuum lines or fitting can throw a code like this. It is an emission component so likely covered for the original owner, don't know about used. Most states require dealers to warranty used vehicles against emission device failures for like 30 days or so, anything that would cause a failed state inspection.

What code number did they read? Did Autozone reset the code and did it come back?

Most, but not all, of these are loose gas caps. What year did they go to the no gas cap thing?
Unread 10-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
joecomputerdude

I have yet to even open the gas cap compartment.

They didn't reset the code, but they didn't give me the code number either.

The Autozone guy said that he could tell that this code has been reset before, though.
Unread 10-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
Bake3103

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecomputerdude View Post
So, i've had my 2012 JGC Laredo X for less than 400 miles (10 days) and am already getting an engine light.

Took it to Autozone last night and they read the code. The guy there was trying to explain to me that there is a cartridge which passes the unburned fuel back into the combustion chamber when it hasn't fully burned. This is what was throwing the error.

Has anyone seen this before, any idea what this cartridge is and if it'll be covered under my warranty?
Maybe he was talking about the EGR valve? The EGR helps regulate emissions and passes extra exhaust gasses back in to the combustion chamber... Not sure if that's what it was, but it sounds similar.
Bake3103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Autozone

Why would you go to Autozone???

Go back to where you purchased it and have them take care of. If a private party it maybe covered under the emissions warranty or maybe the powertrain warranty. Strange the guy didnt give you a code
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 11:22 AM   #6
joecomputerdude

Place i bought it is 90 minutes away, Autozone is on my way home from work.

I e-mailed the dealership, they said that any Jeep dealer should be able to fix me up under warranty.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.