Engine block heater cord location - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Engine block heater cord location

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black (Paint to Match) Grille

Unread 11-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
diverb

Engine block heater cord location

I had to order the cord for the block heater, and I asked the service guy where I install the cord on the block and he said " beats me, I haven't seen under the GC diesel yet." The location of the block heater on my cummins was easy to find and install, but I can't find it on the Jeep. Can anyone give me some guidance? Thks

Unread 11-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
TheStringfellow
2014 WK 

The v8s with block heater and Canadian diesels on which they are standard, seem to come with the cord pre-installed and tucked away behind the passenger headlight/fender area.
TheStringfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2013, 09:48 PM   #3
diverb

Yea I looked there, but mine didn't come with the cord. I just got the cord from the dealership, but I can't find where on the lower block to plug it in...?
Unread 11-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #4
TheStringfellow
2014 WK 

I was plann8ng to look for mine in a week or so when i change the oil and have it on a lift. Mine has a couple of empty wire holders behind the passenger headlight so maybe the prong end goes there. The heater cord doesnt look too long, if you put the one end near the passenger headlight doesnt that narrow down the location some by the reach of the cord? Seems like it would have to be passenger side front of engine block somewhere.
Unread 11-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
fun2drive

The cord on those that have had it installed is back on the pass side back toward the firewall close to a distribution box. There is a pic of it on another forum will see if I can find it. Found it see picture, the red star is where the cord is supposed to be located at.
Discussion is located here.
http://www.jeep garage.org/f222/welc...-67403-44.html no space between jeep and garage.
Hope this helps.
engine-block-heater-location.jpg  
fun2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #6
MattXJ
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStringfellow View Post
The v8s with block heater and Canadian diesels on which they are standard, seem to come with the cord pre-installed and tucked away behind the passenger headlight/fender area.
Yeah that's where it's supposed to be. But my Canadian market 2014 SRT doesn't. The dealer techs and myself have searched high and low for it. It's going in week after next to either find it, or install it if it's missing.

If we search my VIN in the dealer's service computer it shows as having a block heater installed.

They said if it's missing, they have to drop the front diff and remove the starter to get access to the block to install one.

I wasn't under the impression that the block heater and the cord were separate parts?
Unread 11-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #7
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

According to the owners manual on the 5.7L Engine, the block heater cord is bundled and fastened to the injector harness. On the 3.6 is wrapped around the dipstick tube. Here's a photo of my 2011, as well as the parts drawing for the 6.4L. Dunno about the SRT but would guess its about the same as the 5.7. This is near the passenger headlight.
i2262226.jpg  
blockheater-036.jpg

Unread 11-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #8
fun2drive

My response was strictly for the 3.0L diesel since that was the question that was asked by diverb. I have no idea where it is on any engine.

If you have the pn diverb for the cord I would love to know what it is.
Unread 11-23-2013, 03:58 AM   #9
diverb

OK so I thought for sure this was going to be easy to install, and it should have been if the dealership had ordered the right cord for me! I first tried to find the plug in from the top, after 20 mins of looking I decided to get my creeper out and look from the bottom. I found the orange rubber block plug protector on the passenger side, mid block about where the crank should be. I was unable to get my fingers back far enough the push the cord on, so I thought since its mid engine and about half way up, I wonder if I can see if from the wheel well. If you remove the small piece of carpet behind the shock, you will be able to see where the heater cord plugs into.

As you can see by the difference in the plug cap and the actual power cord, those are two different types. My guess is the one I was sold belongs to the 3.6l gas engine. I'll be returning that cord for the correct cord ASAP. Once I have the correct cord, it should be a straight forward job.
Unread 11-23-2013, 09:23 AM   #10
TheStringfellow
2014 WK 

Good info. Thanks.
Unread 11-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #11
fun2drive

Agree
Was that cord really 85 bucks? Wow if so I will just the cord to my order I placed today.
Thanks
Unread 11-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #12
diverb

The cord was $95+tax. Heading to dealership Monday morning to prove that it's the wrong cord
Unread 11-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #13
mtnmerlin
1995 ZJ 

diesel engine block heater cord

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverb View Post
The cord was $95+tax. Heading to dealership Monday morning to prove that it's the wrong cord
Please post the part number when you get the right cord.
Unread 11-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #14
diverb

Ok here is the correct part# for the 3.0L diesel engine block heater cord: 6818 6526 AB. I went thru the passenger wheel well like I described in the earlier post, it took me 5mins to get it plugged in and routed under the hood. Super easy job. It took me longer getting the jack and jack stands out to get the tire off then the actual job.
Unread 12-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #15
MattXJ
2014 WK 

Got mine back today from the dealer. The block heater was factory installed, but with the cord missing. They had to order and install the correct cord. Part# 04801781-AA for 6.4L.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.