Which Engine - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Which Engine

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Closed Thread
Unread 06-20-2014, 12:13 PM   #1
Barry45RPM

Which Engine

Looking to get a new Summit... Having a really tough time choosing between the 6 cyl and the Hemi.
During a brief road test both provided pretty good acceleration to 60 from a stop. Both made the same amount of engine roar.

Coming from Mercedes E550 w/ 385 HP. This car doesn't make any roar at all when accelerating largely due to the amount of insulation under the hood and weatherstripping everywhere under the hood... just smooth linear acceleration.

The Jeep V8 Hemi EPA's at 1 MPG better than my EPA rating on the Benz. The 6 Cyl EPA's much better, of course. I don't tow or race or off road, but enjoy driving a well made quality vehicle immensely.

All things being equal... Is the 6 cyl more than adequate for the vehicle? Will I mourn not having the V8? Are we keeping an eye on the developments in the mid-East and the more than likely change in the price and availability of Gas?

Decisions, decisions... what to do?

Unread 06-20-2014, 12:23 PM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The one technical limitation is you can't get Quadra Drive in a V6. If you want Quadra Drive, you need to be looking at the V8 or diesel, it comes standard on the Summit with those engine packages I think. If you tow heavy often, you will probably be happier with a V8 or Diesel.

Otherwise its a subjective thing. There have been several threads here on this subject. A quick search will provide plenty of opinions. Why are you not looking at the diesel?

All engines are adequate and provide plenty of driving pleasure. If its new, off the production line over the last month or two, the initial V6 tranny quirks should be ironed out.

So it comes down to your subjective preference, no one here can address that for you. If you are going to be the type of driver that is always saying I could have had a V8, just buy it and move one. There are much more important things to fret about, I think. Otherwise test drive thoroughly and pick the one you like best.

I'm going to close this thread before it gets to be a peeing contest as there are plenty other comparison threads here.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.