Emblem removed, still see lettering? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Emblem removed, still see lettering?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 02-09-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
mgmjeep1

Emblem removed, still see lettering?

Earlier I removed the Lerado emblem with fish line and my wifes hair dryer. Piece of cake....but once I wiped clean with goof off, you could see the color difference of where the letters were compared to the rest of the Jeep. Will this go away? Anything I can do to fix this?

mgmjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2014, 03:43 PM   #2
Deadserial

How old is your jeep? Colors fade so it can be different. Buffing it will help, or you could try a cleaner wax.
Deadserial is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2014, 03:44 PM   #3
wwhiskey75

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmjeep1
Earlier I removed the Lerado emblem with fish line and my wifes hair dryer. Piece of cake....but once I wiped clean with goof off, you could see the color difference of where the letters were compared to the rest of the Jeep. Will this go away? Anything I can do to fix this?
What year vehicle? It might be a sun fade..I would use a small amount of rubbing compound then a good wax. Should go away with elbow grease.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
wwhiskey75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
mgmjeep1

My Jeep is a 2012. It appears to be fading from a couple years of being in the sun. Any recomendations on a good rubbing compound or wax?
Unread 02-09-2014, 04:01 PM   #5
wwhiskey75

Mequiars and Zymol products are both good. I use turtle wax rubbing compound. I'm sure someone else will chime in on what products are the best.

Unread 02-09-2014, 05:11 PM   #6
E-rok
1996 ZJ 

you do NOT want to use rubbing compound, it is very abrasive and will make matters worse if you dont know what you are doing. Best bet is to polish the entire vehicle (I bet it could use it anyways) to leave a uniform swirl free finish, then follow with wax. basically if you "spot fix" it, you are trying to fade the unfaded paint to match the rest of the slightly faded paint, which doesnt make sense. you want to remove the slight oxidation on the rest of the vehicle to match the unharmed paint under the lettering.
Unread 02-09-2014, 05:49 PM   #7
Jackal01

2012 WK 

Goo Gone, period. Put a little elbow grease in it and you'll be right as rain. Same thing happened when I did mine.

No need for the elaborate steps above.

'12 Laredo V6 ORA1|Terra Grappler 265-70-17|MB TKO 17x8.5|Silverstar Ultra low beams|Mopar Front and Rear WK2 slush mats|RRO 2.5" lift
BWoody extended sway bar links|K&N 77 Series Intake|Gibson Exhaust | Viair OBA | RRO Combo Winch mount| Q9000S winch| KC ProSport HID Hilites

Items for sale. See my thread for pictures. PM for details.

K&N 77 series cold air intake

Cobra 75 CB radio
Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2014, 05:51 PM   #8
E-rok
1996 ZJ 

explain how goo gone fades paint to match sun weathered paint?
Unread 02-09-2014, 06:18 PM   #9
Jackal01

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-rok View Post
explain how goo gone fades paint to match sun weathered paint?
It doesnt I guess. I know what the OP is talking about because mine looked the exact same. I used goo gone and the lettering disappeared after a minute of rubbing the area. This is what worked for me. Maybe the OP is different but I thought the same thing he did and what I did fixed it. It's like a residue from the adhesive used.

'12 Laredo V6 ORA1|Terra Grappler 265-70-17|MB TKO 17x8.5|Silverstar Ultra low beams|Mopar Front and Rear WK2 slush mats|RRO 2.5" lift
BWoody extended sway bar links|K&N 77 Series Intake|Gibson Exhaust | Viair OBA | RRO Combo Winch mount| Q9000S winch| KC ProSport HID Hilites

Cobra 75 CB radio
Unread 02-09-2014, 06:39 PM   #10
mgmjeep1

Thanks for the help. I will give goo gone one more shot tomorrow and hopefully that will work.
Unread 02-09-2014, 06:58 PM   #11
E-rok
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal01 View Post
It doesnt I guess. I know what the OP is talking about because mine looked the exact same. I used goo gone and the lettering disappeared after a minute of rubbing the area. This is what worked for me. Maybe the OP is different but I thought the same thing he did and what I did fixed it. It's like a residue from the adhesive used.
yea if it is residue/film then yea goo gone. but if its paint mis match then it wont do anything obviously.

but goo gone would be the safe/easy thing to try before anything else.
Unread 02-09-2014, 07:01 PM   #12
Jackal01

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-rok View Post

yea if it is residue/film then yea goo gone. but if its paint mis match then it wont do anything obviously.

but goo gone would be the safe/easy thing to try before anything else.
That's been my point. It is like a very faint film or residue. Can't even feel it with your hand. It's weird stuff but GG took it off.

Cobra 75 CB radio
Unread 02-09-2014, 07:23 PM   #13
wwhiskey75

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-rok
you do NOT want to use rubbing compound, it is very abrasive and will make matters worse if you dont know what you are doing. Best bet is to polish the entire vehicle (I bet it could use it anyways) to leave a uniform swirl free finish, then follow with wax. basically if you "spot fix" it, you are trying to fade the unfaded paint to match the rest of the slightly faded paint, which doesnt make sense. you want to remove the slight oxidation on the rest of the vehicle to match the unharmed paint under the lettering.
If you know what you are doing then.. Use the compound if you are not using it on the entire vehicle. Then follow with wax. That is if Polish does not work. Try the goo gone then try polishing and if all else fails...

Unread 02-09-2014, 08:14 PM   #14
E-rok
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhiskey75 View Post
If you know what you are doing then.. Use the compound if you are not using it on the entire vehicle. Then follow with wax. That is if Polish does not work. Try the goo gone then try polishing and if all else fails...

then you would have a freshly compounded/polished spot on the hatch and the rest of the jeep wouldnt be.....if you are gonna compound, do the whole vehicle. doubtful the paint needs compounding anyways, most likely just a medium polish. anyways, maybe the goo gone does the trick so its all a moot point.
Unread 02-10-2014, 07:55 AM   #15
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Or you could put the emblem back on.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.