post #1 of Old 03-09-2015, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Electric brake setup and use

I am about to install my electric brake controller. I got a draw-tite Activator IV. I also have a 2011 GC Overland with the Hemi. My Jeep came with a plug to plug into the brake wireing harness. I just need to wire it up to the controller. The problem is the description of the factory wiring. On the plug from Jeep I have a black wire, Green wire, grey with a red strip and a white with a purple strip. But in the package from Jeep it says it should have a black wire with a green trace(ground circuit), white wire(stop lamp signal feed), yellow wire with red trace(+12volt) and dark green(electric brake feed). WTF?!

On my brake controller I have a black wire(vehicle power), red wire(stop light), White wire(vehicle ground), blue wire(trailer brakes).

Anyone have any idea what goes to what?

Also I have never used trailer brakes and not sure how to set up or use these things.

'87 reg. historic, 2" bds springs, 1" boom shackles, 1" daystar BL, 31" Intereco trxus, Crager soft 8's, steel braided brake extensions, monsta liner
post #2 of Old 03-09-2015, 01:27 PM
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

One of the reasons I went with the excellent Tekonshia P3 brake controller was the availability of the inexpensive plug-n-play harness that directly plugged into the JGC's little grey brake controller socket and directly into the back of the controller. My whole installation took about 10 minutes, including screwing in the bracket for the controller, itself.

Every controller has slightly different characteristics for setting them up and the specific weight and braking characteristics of your trailer also come into play. My controller has a number of default pre-sets to get started that are easy to tweak...it's all menu driven. I'm not familiar with your controller, so you'll want to review the setup advise in the manual that came with it. If you're new to towing with brakes, you may also want to have a chat with the folks you are getting your trailer from to get their recommendations on brake controller setup for that trailer.

2012 JGC Summit Hemi
2016 Subaru Outback Limited
2011 Subaru Outback Limited
post #3 of Old 03-09-2015, 03:13 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

etrailer has an install video for a 2014 which should be identical for the 2011. They used the plug and play Tekonsha harness:

http://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contro...Tite/5504.html

They sell the wiring harness for ~$16. I'm sure you can buy it at many trailer dealers.

http://www.etrailer.com/p-3045-P.html

2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6, 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac