Eco Mode..what kind of fuel economy are you seeing with your 8 cylinder '14 or '15? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Eco Mode..what kind of fuel economy are you seeing with your 8 cylinder '14 or '15?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 12-04-2014, 06:19 PM   #1
Sondra3
2004 WJ 

Eco Mode..what kind of fuel economy are you seeing with your 8 cylinder '14 or '15?

I was wondering how the new GC's deactivated cylinder feature of Eco Mode are playing out in the real world.

Those of you with 8 cylinder 4wd on 2014's or '15's, have you determined what your fuel economy has been? Has it been that much worse than a 6 cylinder would be?

I do a lot of highway driving, and I'm about to purchase a Summit with V8 and QuadraLift. The V8 estimated fuel economy is obviously worse than the V6, but perhaps it was underestimated?

Ref:
"New for 2014, the V8 shuts off four cylinders when they are not needed, increasing gas mileage."

So I'm wondering, if perhaps my numbers will average out closer to that of the V6 *wishful thinking*?

Sondra3 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2014, 06:45 PM   #2
kryogen
2011 WK 

lol

I get much worse than the estimate. If you get the v8, you will floor it, you will get worse than the estimate. trust me.
I get 10 mpg mostly city, and a few miles of country road.

Do not get the v8 if you care about fuel economy. It's bad. Really.

But I don't care that much, I wouldnt want the v6, I much prefer to floor it and have fun.

I usually have fun twice a day... when I go to work, and when I come back from work. I could care less about the price of gas right now.

If I did a lot of traveling, maybe I would not have gotten the v8. But I don't drive that much anyway, 15km a day or so.
Unread 12-04-2014, 06:47 PM   #3
Sondra3
2004 WJ 

Kryogen, do you have a 2014 vehicle?
Unread 12-04-2014, 07:15 PM   #4
Uintah
2002 WJ 

2014 GC Summit (QuadraLift 4x4), trip last week through the Missouri Ozarks, 360 miles, speed limit average 65 mph, 23 mpg.
Around town stop and go 16 mpg.
Uintah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2014, 07:40 PM   #5
smljeep
2014 WK 

Why don't you consider the Ecodiesel?

Building high performance custom homes at Smith Mt. lake, VA!
www.PDandM.com
smljeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2014, 07:55 PM   #6
2014RedHemiGC
2014 WK 

Driven reasonably, the V8 with the 8 speed in Eco mode gets pretty decent mileage for a 5000 lb+ vehicle. 17.7 lifetime average for mine so far in the first 8000 miles. Obviously, a similarly driven V6 will do much better.
2014RedHemiGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2014, 08:02 PM   #7
Sondra3
2004 WJ 

Uintah, that's the exact vehicle I'm getting. Your experience sounds better than I expected.

smljeep, I don't have the budget for the diesel. If I could find a used 2014 within my budget (to $37K) I would jump on it. But what are the chances of that, lol. :-(
Unread 12-04-2014, 08:15 PM   #8
Uintah
2002 WJ 

On that particular trip my wife was driving the Jeep following me in my 2000 S10 Blazer, ZR2 package (31" tires), 4.3 V6, 4 spd AOD, 3.73 gears. I got 19 mpg.

I think the number of gears in the transmission, cylinder deactivation, and the speed driven make the biggest difference in the mileage a person would get. On the trip over my wife was not following me and her mileage was 21 mpg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sondra3 View Post
Uintah, that's the exact vehicle I'm getting. Your experience sounds better than I expected.

smljeep, I don't have the budget for the diesel. If I could find a used 2014 within my budget (to $37K) I would jump on it. But what are the chances of that, lol. :-(
Unread 12-04-2014, 08:49 PM   #9
Sondra3
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uintah View Post

I think the number of gears in the transmission, cylinder deactivation, and the speed driven make the biggest difference in the mileage a person would get.
So I'm curious... have you found a particular speed or specific behavioral pattern that markedly increases your mileage with the 8 cyl Summit? A lot of coasting, a specific mph, etc.?

Of course, if some shmo cuts me off and I need to overtake him, I have noooo problem kicking in the power of my vehicle to do so.
Unread 12-05-2014, 05:22 PM   #10
SouthDakota
Jeep Owner Since 2006

2014 WK 

My wife and I always do 5 MPH over the speed limit. Doing 80 MPH on the interstate, we get usually get about 18-20 MPG with ethanol laced fuel and 19-21 with non-ethanol fuel. Mostly depends on how the wind hits us. We did get 23 MPG a few times this past summer if there was no wind (and no ethanol). No wind is rare on the plains here.

In town during the summer (roughly 75% city driving), we get anywhere from 15 MPG to 18 MPG. In the winter, its usually 14 MPG to 17 MPG in town.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4
5.7L Hemi V8, Luxury Group II, Navigation
SouthDakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2014, 05:40 PM   #11
Uintah
2002 WJ 

I try to drive the speed limit or 5 mph over, which means pretty much everyone passes me. I think speed plays the biggest role in mileage.

Just some additional information on the above trip, it was mostly 4-lane and I had to use Ethanol gas. So non-ethanol would have probably been good for a couple more mph.

Just as a side note I was at the dealer today and he said he has six GC Diesels that no one is looking at and so far has not sold a single one. He is starting to get nervous. He has several 1/2 ton trucks presold.

Quote:
So I'm curious... have you found a particular speed or specific behavioral pattern that markedly increases your mileage with the 8 cyl Summit? A lot of coasting, a specific mph, etc.?

Of course, if some shmo cuts me off and I need to overtake him, I have noooo problem kicking in the power of my vehicle to do so.
Unread 12-05-2014, 06:09 PM   #12
kryogen
2011 WK 

It's snowing right now and I floor the v8 at every corner to powerslide. I love that. My mpg doesnt love that but I don't care.
Sooooo fun.
Unread 12-05-2014, 06:46 PM   #13
Sondra3
2004 WJ 

No one's buying the diesels huh?

Kryogen, you are too funny
What tires?
Unread 12-05-2014, 07:37 PM   #14
hemispin
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryogen View Post
It's snowing right now and I floor the v8 at every corner to powerslide. I love that. My mpg doesnt love that but I don't care.
Sooooo fun.
I seriously doubt Canada's laws allow you to do that Kryogen. Based on your responses in another thread about the OEM Goodyear tires, don't even try to tell us that you have any fun when you drive.

For the record, I get 18-19mpg with a 50/50 commute. About 22 mpg on a road trip with a loaded vehicle. I have 2014 GC 4x4 with the 8 speed and V8.
hemispin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2014, 07:38 PM   #15
hemispin
2014 WK 

Quote:
No one's buying the diesels huh?
Do you remember the title of your thread?
hemispin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.