Durango better MPG? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Durango better MPG?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 02-20-2014, 06:44 AM   #16
GRB60
2014 WK 

According to the two manufacturer webites, V6 mileage is the same when comparing AWD Durango to 4WD Jeep. They both list 17/24.

GRB60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 07:17 AM   #17
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Nah... QTI and Durango are simple old style open light truck transfer cases. Functionally a open diff in the middle and open diffs on each axle (there is just a little rear bias because of the way the gears are designed). They depend entirely on brake traction control to stop wheel spin. These are what some of us call AWD systems. The complexity of axle disconnects (e.g. slip clutches) are added to other more car like vehicles to save some mpg. These are typically not strong enough for light truck applications, light trucks have more significant things that affect mpg. The mpg improvement of an axle disconnect is probably in the noise.

The QTII, on the other hand, has clutches within the transfer case, so it can run in completely open to completely locked depending on the whims of the traction computer. This is a true 4x4 case.
You know, the transfer case in my ram is run through a clutch 100% of the time and strangely enough it slips and will kick out of 4x4 when it is overheated or when it doesn't detect wheel spin, even in 4 low. So what you say is true about clutches not being made for truck applications, but that doesn't mean they don't try it.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 10:06 AM   #18
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveracing1988 View Post
You know, the transfer case in my ram is run through a clutch 100% of the time and strangely enough it slips and will kick out of 4x4 when it is overheated or when it doesn't detect wheel spin, even in 4 low. So what you say is true about clutches not being made for truck applications, but that doesn't mean they don't try it.
The RAM may have the same transfer case as the QTII. As these cases get more mileage on them, I'm hearing more and more reports of clutches overheating, especially in severe conditions, and 4WD gets disabled. I think there was a flash for this awhile ago as the service 4WD light will come on while driving in the sand. There have been a few reports of clutches wearing out or burning up.

So the marketing thing about full lock may not be entirely accurate as the clutches will slip... and those clutches aren't as robust as the engineers thought.
Unread 02-20-2014, 01:20 PM   #19
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post

The RAM may have the same transfer case as the QTII. As these cases get more mileage on them, I'm hearing more and more reports of clutches overheating, especially in severe conditions, and 4WD gets disabled. I think there was a flash for this awhile ago as the service 4WD light will come on while driving in the sand. There have been a few reports of clutches wearing out or burning up.

So the marketing thing about full lock may not be entirely accurate as the clutches will slip... and those clutches aren't as robust as the engineers thought.
I would be fine with that because in the jeep 4 low is locked 100 percent 50/50. My ram only sends power to the front on demand no matter what. It is a borg warner 44-44 btw.
Unread 02-20-2014, 02:27 PM   #20
modernblueWK

Awd ram /full time 4x4?
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 04:47 PM   #21
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernblueWK View Post
Awd ram /full time 4x4?
Part time/ full time.
Unread 02-20-2014, 05:53 PM   #22
modernblueWK

What year/trim ram? Ive been ram shopping and the part time is 4x4 is desireable where i live.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2014, 03:54 AM   #23
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernblueWK View Post
What year/trim ram? Ive been ram shopping and the part time is 4x4 is desireable where i live.
Technically any 1500 is a part time case. The higher trims have 4x4 auto though. Those are the ones you want to avoid unless you plan on doing zero off roading.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.