DRL Question - is off really off? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > DRL Question - is off really off?

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-11-2014, 06:31 PM   #1
R1200RT
2014 WK 

DRL Question - is off really off?

I'm considering purchasing a GC Overland. The Jeep website shows that the DRLs can be turned off but web picture makes it look like they're just on a very low setting. If you set the DRLs to off are they really off or just on a lowered setting? Do they stay off when you restart?

R1200RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2014, 06:37 PM   #2
hemispin
2014 WK 

There IS a selection to turn them OFF, and they stay off.
hemispin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2014, 07:01 PM   #3
R1200RT
2014 WK 

Thanks - that's what I was hoping.
Unread 02-12-2014, 05:28 PM   #4
BobsWK2
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1200RT View Post
I'm considering purchasing a GC Overland. The Jeep website shows that the DRLs can be turned off but web picture makes it look like they're just on a very low setting. If you set the DRLs to off are they really off or just on a lowered setting? Do they stay off when you restart?
I hope you are looking at a 2014 because on the 11-13's, you would have to remove 2 relays to turn them off.
Unread 02-12-2014, 10:15 PM   #5
R1200RT
2014 WK 

Yes on the 2014.
Unread 02-13-2014, 07:08 AM   #6
Shub45

But the minute you turn your parking lights on they come on. I like driving with the fogs on with no headlights but is not possible
Shub45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 02:48 PM   #7
apstang50

DRLs can be turned off without removing anything going all the way back to 99 model year. You need a factory scan tool to do it.
apstang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 06:58 PM   #8
BobsWK2
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstang50 View Post
DRLs can be turned off without removing anything going all the way back to 99 model year. You need a factory scan tool to do it.
While that may be true, most dealers will say if the vehicle came standard with DRL's, its against the law to turn the DRL's off. I've actually heard that line twice. The other ones won't have a clue that they can be turned off.

A few years back I had a 2007 Lexus GX470 which of course came standard with DRL's. Before I took delivery, I asked the service dept. to turn off the DRL's. I go to take delivery of the vehicle and of course the DRL's turn on. I ask the service manager what happened and he says they hooked it up to their scanner and they can't be turned off. About a month later I was looking through the official service manual put out by Lexus and sure enough, in there I found the procedure to disable the DRL's. It did require the dealers scan tool to do it. I then met with the service manager and asked him to look up the chapter, page and article # in the service manual on how to disable the DRL's. After he read it, I could see he was embarrassed and he immediately had the tech do the procedure. Took all of 10 minutes to do. I bet they didn't even bother to try but if I was paying them their normal service hour rate of $175, then they would find it.
Unread 02-16-2014, 07:02 PM   #9
apstang50

I don't like the idea of being at the mercy of dealers. I buy my own factory scan tools for what I drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsWK2 View Post
While that may be true, most dealers will say if the vehicle came standard with DRL's, its against the law to turn the DRL's off. I've actually heard that line twice. The other ones won't have a clue that they can be turned off.

A few years back I had a 2007 Lexus GX470 which of course came standard with DRL's. Before I took delivery, I asked the service dept. to turn off the DRL's. I go to take delivery of the vehicle and of course the DRL's turn on. I ask the service manager what happened and he says they hooked it up to their scanner and they can't be turned off. About a month later I was looking through the official service manual put out by Lexus and sure enough, in there I found the procedure to disable the DRL's. It did require the dealers scan tool to do it. I then met with the service manager and asked him to look up the chapter, page and article # in the service manual on how to disable the DRL's. After he read it, I could see he was embarrassed and he immediately had the tech do the procedure. Took all of 10 minutes to do. I bet they didn't even bother to try but if I was paying them their normal service hour rate of $175, then they would find it.
Unread 02-17-2014, 05:39 PM   #10
BobsWK2
2014 WK 

Quote:
I don't like the idea of being at the mercy of dealers. I buy my own factory scan tools for what I drive.
I bet the scan tool (wiTech) the dealer has costs a small fortune. I doubt you buy the exact same thing. Certainly not a scanner you can pick up at Autozone or Pepboys.
Unread 02-17-2014, 06:03 PM   #11
apstang50

The WiTech/Starmobile is $4k and the DRB3 is $6K. Below are pictures of mine. You wont buy then at Autozone or Pepboys, you can get them at www.aetools.us

Buying your own factory scan tools might cost a small fortune, but not needing the dealer is priceless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsWK2 View Post
I bet the scan tool (wiTech) the dealer has costs a small fortune. I doubt you buy the exact same thing. Certainly not a scanner you can pick up at Autozone or Pepboys.
pic-235.jpg

pic-122.jpg

Unread 02-17-2014, 06:06 PM   #12
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
The WK2s are different. Someone posted the service manual procedure here awhile ago. It involves removing two relays and ignoring a fault code. Chrysler says to ignore the TIPM fault code if the vehicle has an export VIN and the owner disabled the DRLs. Some countries mandate that DRLs can be disabled by the owner without use of tools... or something like that.
Unread 02-17-2014, 06:26 PM   #13
apstang50

The DRL's in a WK2 can be turned off by changing the country code in the "Central Gateway". If your WK2 is for a DRL market such as Canada you would change the country code from Canada to USA. Then in the witech software under "Misc Functions" select enable/disable DRL. Otherwise it will say "This vehicle is not certified to have the DRL feature disabled".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
The WK2s are different. Someone posted the dealer procedure here awhile ago. Chrysler says don't disable unless the vehicle has an export VIN. Some countries mandate that DRLs can be disabled by the owner without special tools/equipment... or something like that.
Unread 02-17-2014, 06:29 PM   #14
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
The WiTech/Starmobile is $4k and the DRB3 is $6K. Below are pictures of mine. You wont buy then at Autozone or Pepboys, you can get them at www.aetools.us

Buying your own factory scan tools might cost a small fortune, but not needing the dealer is priceless.
Don't you need to buy a license for access to the Chrysler software and tech system to effectively not need a dealer?
Unread 02-17-2014, 06:32 PM   #15
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
The DRL's in a WK2 can be turned off by changing the country code in the "Central Gateway". If your WK2 is for a DRL market such as Canada you would change the country code from Canada to USA. Then in the witech software under "Misc Functions" select enable/disable DRL. Otherwise it will say "This vehicle is not certified to have the DRL feature disabled".
Is that the MY 2014 software? The MY2011 does not seem to have have that function. The service manual says to remove the relays and ignore the fault.... and we all know the service manual is always right

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.