Driver's side door trick? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Driver's side door trick?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 11-19-2011, 01:42 PM   #1
apm

Driver's side door trick?

Hi All--

Wondering if any Grand Cherokee owners have experienced/have a fix for the following issue. What I'm working with:

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Loredo 4x4

The driver's side door is stuck. If you pull the handle from the inside or outside it does not disengage the door latch; thus the door does not open. If you lock the door and pull the handle from the inside the door automatically unlocks as it should, but the door does not open.

I've tried jiggling handle (not sure what else to try) but have had no luck.

I have an appointment with the dealership on Wednesday (the Jeep only has 12K miles on it), but I was hoping not to have to climb into the driver's seat from the passenger's seat for the next five days.

Any ideas?

AP

apm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
azjack
2011 WK 

We had the same problem with pax door with 8000 miles. The problem was a broken part in the latch. The shop had to move the seat into the back area as the door could not open, then they had to destroy the door panel and use the belt tightening tool to reach the latch. (per Detroit instructions) We now have 26000 miles on our 2011 and no more door latch problems. Good luck as the mechanic said he hoped this in not a common problem.
Jack of Tucson
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 05:21 AM   #3
apm

Hey Jack,

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I'll be hurdling the center console until Wednesday.

Best,
AP
Unread 11-21-2011, 06:46 AM   #4
txwest
2012 WK 

Hopefully you have the electric seats because this sounds like the best instance I have ever heard of for the "easy enter seat" option.

Past Jeeps:
'80 CJ-7 I6 4x4 Std
'86 Comanchee I4 4x4 Std
'99 WJ Laredo 4.0 4x4 AWD
txwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
apm

Jeep went in the shop this morning. The dealership broke the window glass after 4 hours of trying to get the door open (they eventually succeeded). Someone from Jeep/Chrysler in Detroit called me and apologized for the hassel; they also offered me a rental car at no charge.

Would have preferred it not happen, but the service thus far has been awesome.
Unread 11-28-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
Jeep_addicted
2011 WK 

I just found this out by accident with my last car.

My autobody repair has his own trick for popping stuck doors.
1. he rolls down the window
2. He pull the top of the inner door panel out of the window channel
3. He pull the window scraper out of the window channell
4. He uses something long like a pry bar and looks for the lever that pops the latch and opens the door that way.

if it is possible to open the door that way then you don't damage anything and you can get your door open to get on with the repairs.
Jeep_addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 04:46 PM   #7
apm

@Jeep_addicted,

Thanks for the tip! Where the Jeep only has 13K miles on it I let the dealer handle it. Just got her back today.

AP
Unread 11-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #8
azjack
2011 WK 

My door latch problem was in the latch mechanism and could not be released until both door panels were bypassed. Do you know where your problem was located? I would guess they did not break your inner door panel unless they took a replacement from another vehicle.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 05:35 AM   #9
apm

The problem was with the latch as well. They did not have to break the door panel itself, just the door window glass.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.