Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Dreaded purple halo! Not covered on max care! RANT

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Vaguy68 
#1 ·
Hi, first post on here. Hate to show up to the party asking for help. I'm a longstanding active member of the corvette forum so I promise to participate here too 0:)

Ok, so I have a 2015 GC Overland and recently developed the purple halo on the DRLs. I'm at 45K miles so basic warranty is over but I had purchased the Max Care warranty because of all the gizmos and electronics on this vehicle.

I take it in to the dealer and I'm told that both lights are not covered under max care but they'd be happy to replace both for $3,300.

I would understand if the warranty didn't cover a serviceable component like a lens or a bulb but geez, it's an entire assembly and a major component of the vehicle. I've called FCA, Customer Care, etc... I've seen other jeeps out there with this issue and I can't imagine others aren't screaming about this. Do I have any other options? I think the "not covered" components are based on generic terms (headlights, bulbs, etc..) and a non-serviceable component should be covered.

Can this assembly be rebuilt? Best price outside of dealer I could find is $900 a piece. I can't believe something like this wouldn't be covered.

See less See more
#2 ·
#7 ·
I totally understand and agree with "maintenance" items not being covered. Those noted items are easily replaced wear items (wipers, brake pads, etc..). The LED DRL's are certainly not an easily replaceable wear item.

I've seen lots of GC's with this issue and lots of these vehicles are coming off their 36K warranties and those that have a max care warranty are going to be shocked that the warranty will not cover such an expensive part. There's obviously a problem with this assembly and I think there will be more noise about this in the near future.

I spent hours on the phone with Customer Care and FCA. CC told me that the max care warranty covers 98% of the parts on the vehicle. I'm incredibly disappointed that such an expensive unserviceable part would not be a part of that 98%.

#10 ·
2015 Overland here, I had the passenger light assembly replaced at 25k miles under warranty and then the drivers went out at like 36,001, I.E. just after warranty expired. We also have the lifetime Max Care plan and were shocked when we found out this non serviceable item wasn't covered. Luckily our dealer replaced it anyway but now I'm constantly checking and waiting for them to fail again.

There was obviously a bad batch of light assemblies made, Chrysler should put a TSB out on it, replace them for anyone with an issue for 60k miles and add coverage for this item to the Max Care plan.

#11 ·
2015 Overland here, I had the passenger light assembly replaced at 25k miles under warranty and then the drivers went out at like 36,001, I.E. just after warranty expired. We also have the lifetime Max Care plan and were shocked when we found out this non serviceable item wasn't covered. Luckily our dealer replaced it anyway but now I'm constantly checking and waiting for them to fail again.

There was obviously a bad batch of light assemblies made, Chrysler should put a TSB out on it, replace them for anyone with an issue for 60k miles and add coverage for this item to the Max Care plan.
It's a running problem, thats either caused by inadequate heat dispersion from the LEDs, or is caused from an issue in the harness(giving the LED's too much electricity). Most likely from where I've seen most of these happening, the issue is with heat.

Therefore its a design flaw. People often underestimate how much heat LEDs can put out, even when they're the DRLs from factory.

My flashlight I use on rescues and such, can get extremely hot from its LED, and led light bars typically have massive cooling fins to prevent overheating, which still get very hot anyways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.