Does the WKII have quadra-drive? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Does the WKII have quadra-drive?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsNew jk doors from steinjager

Unread 11-12-2010, 05:02 PM   #1
diver110
2009 WK 

Does the WKII have quadra-drive?

I was fooling around on the Jeep site and noticed that quadra-drive II did not come up as an option or appear to be standard. Was there a transmission change or is the site missing something?

diver110 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #2
Nick_Knipp
1986 MJ Comanche 

yes the new GCs have them as an optional
http://www.jeep.com/en/4x4/how_systems_work/
'12 MK Sport 2.4L AT rescue green
Nick_Knipp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 06:06 PM   #3
diver110
2009 WK 

Thanks. I knew about that link, but the option does not show up under "build your own" on the Jeep site. Odd.
diver110 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #4
Nick_Knipp
1986 MJ Comanche 

yeah thats why we have Jeep dealerships to help you pick that stuff out
'12 MK Sport 2.4L AT rescue green
Nick_Knipp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 11:17 PM   #5
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

There is no front ELSD "locker" available on this version of Quadra-Drive though. It's a huge omission in my opinion. One that Jeep should promptly correct, but they won't.
Unread 11-17-2010, 07:45 AM   #6
kreso
2010 WK 

If that what they call QDII is working as advertised then I do not see any problem.
Unread 12-27-2010, 09:09 PM   #7
psk31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreso View Post
If that what they call QDII is working as advertised then I do not see any problem.
True unless you've owned/driven a WK QDII system..
Unread 12-28-2010, 08:04 AM   #8
vertcobra99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas WJ View Post
There is no front ELSD "locker" available on this version of Quadra-Drive though. It's a huge omission in my opinion. One that Jeep should promptly correct, but they won't.
so if doens't have a lsd in the front how can this be considered true 4X4.

How exactally does the front work when all the tires are spinning? only one tire spins? Does the system use some sort of braking on each tire to alow the other to spin? If so thats extremely disapointing.
vertcobra99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2010, 08:54 AM   #9
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertcobra99 View Post

How exactally does the front work when all the tires are spinning? only one tire spins? Does the system use some sort of braking on each tire to alow the other to spin? If so thats extremely disapointing.
Most "true" 4X4s have open front and rear differentials, a few have the option of a rear "locker", but what made the Grand interesting was the available front "locker". Most companies don't really offer that...save for Land Rover/Range Rover and the like.

Using the brakes to modulate wheel spin is fine for a lot of applications, what bothers me is that it's a momentum killer in the sand. All that said, it's still a great system.
Unread 12-28-2010, 08:58 AM   #10
mrpositraction

I went through some deep snow this weekend (10" plus) and it did alright. The 18" stock tires aren't aggressive at all and with more aggressive tire it would have done a lot better.

Two things I didn't like:
1) The front end wheel hopped and I had to control speed (reduce) which made the hill I was going up hard to do slowly.
2) I did get stuck once and had to back and forth a couple times but what was annoying, with the tires spinning (mud/sand mode) if you spun to fast it lowered the vehicle, which then high centered me, I got out, but had to keep hitting the "UP" button on the suspension.

Oh, and another, if you were to hit any up and down quick bumps, the suspension would "top" out (no more travel for the tires to drop) and it sounded awful. Good for rock crawling, since you are going slow, but I wouldn't try flying through a mud hole or deep snow with it.....have to go slow for many reasons
Unread 12-28-2010, 09:48 AM   #11
CTO1
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertcobra99 View Post

I was concerned about this too when considering the WK2. My previous vehicle was a JK Rubicon so I was very hesitant to give up the lockers. However, I had rarely used them and the places where I did are no places I would ever want to drive a WK2, at least if I was concerned about keeping it looking nice. Even so, the Quadra Trac II brake-locking is pretty effective when rock crawling. If that's what you consider a 'true 4x4' then get a Rubicon.
CTO1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2010, 10:42 AM   #12
psk31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpositraction View Post
I went through some deep snow this weekend (10" plus) and it did alright. The 18" stock tires aren't aggressive at all and with more aggressive tire it would have done a lot better.

Two things I didn't like:
1) The front end wheel hopped and I had to control speed (reduce) which made the hill I was going up hard to do slowly.
2) I did get stuck once and had to back and forth a couple times but what was annoying, with the tires spinning (mud/sand mode) if you spun to fast it lowered the vehicle, which then high centered me, I got out, but had to keep hitting the "UP" button on the suspension.

Oh, and another, if you were to hit any up and down quick bumps, the suspension would "top" out (no more travel for the tires to drop) and it sounded awful. Good for rock crawling, since you are going slow, but I wouldn't try flying through a mud hole or deep snow with it.....have to go slow for many reasons
Interesting. Is there no way to "lock out" the automatic ride height setting when your in the thick of it? It seems like an oversight.
I'm wondering if it would be feasible to install a after-market locker (ARB or equiv.) in the front end of a WK2? I realize that this would not have the "smarts" of the WK elsd system, but it would be better than nothing. Has anyone looked at this?
Unread 12-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #13
CTO1
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk31 View Post
Interesting. Is there no way to "lock out" the automatic ride height setting when your in the thick of it? It seems like an oversight.
I'm wondering if it would be feasible to install a after-market locker (ARB or equiv.) in the front end of a WK2? I realize that this would not have the "smarts" of the WK elsd system, but it would be better than nothing. Has anyone looked at this?
I've never had this problem with mine when using the 'Rock' setting. However, a couple of times after turning the vehicle off and then back on it will go back to 'Auto' and lower itself. And if you are out of low range and get above a certain speed, maybe 20 or 30 mph, it will automatically lower itself from the off-road heights.

It would be nice to know if an aftermarket locker was available but for me the QTII system is good enough for the time being. What I'd really like to see ARB or someone else develop is a bumper with an integrated winch mount. But with the unibody WK2 that may prove to be difficult.
CTO1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2010, 11:13 AM   #14
mrpositraction

Remember, I was still in 4 high (not 4 lo) so I am spinning tires more (faster) than you in 4LO
Unread 12-28-2010, 11:02 PM   #15
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Quote:
It would be nice to know if an aftermarket locker was available but for me the QTII system is good enough for the time being. What I'd really like to see ARB or someone else develop is a bumper with an integrated winch mount. But with the unibody WK2 that may prove to be difficult.
The ARB bumper possibility will rely primarily on perceived demand. The WK, WJ and ZJ all have ARB bumper options and they're unibody as well.

Lockers are another story...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.