Do You Wax? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Do You Wax?

2011-2014 Jeep JK Wrangler Tuning now available on SuperchSteinjager TJ tube doorsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-10-2014, 09:00 AM   #1
PhillyAnt

Do You Wax?

No cupcake, I'm not talking about your bikini line... LOL

What do you do to your new baby to keep her looking sexy? I have read that it is bad to wax a newly painted car from the factory and I have also read that it is completely ok to do that. If it's ok, I was planning on waxing it asap to help protect the paint. It looks like people are saying it is better to use the new synthetic polymer based waxes (such as Meguiar's Ultimate Wax, Mothers California Gold Synthetic Wax and Turtle Wax ICE Premium Care Liquid Wax) as they generally provide longer-lasting protection and are easier to use in the sun than older-style carnauba-based waxes (such as Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Plus Wax and Mothers California Gold Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax). I've also read that they provide longer lasting protection than the older waxes.

Do you polish too, or is that unnecessary this early in the car's life? I've read that some people polish first and then wax on top of that.

What is your favorite wax or polish to use? What products do you like to use on your car generally (wheel and tire cleaner, interior, etc)?

Thanks!

Want to drop some LBs? I can help you. Seriously! Private message me if you want to learn how.

http://youtu.be/2f13kCFux0s
PhillyAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2014, 09:11 AM   #2
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

Nope. I haven't waxed a vehicle in decades. Have not felt the need...
Unread 04-10-2014, 10:14 AM   #3
mx71
2013 WK 

Every few car washes I use Wax As U Dry, but other than that, no.

http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-One-2089.../dp/B000FW628W
mx71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2014, 10:32 AM   #4
Berk483
2013 WK 

I wax before winter and sometime during the spring. Haven't used polish but I do have a Gloss I use in the summer. Everything I use is from www.poorboysworld.com
Berk483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2014, 10:45 AM   #5
GRB60
2014 WK 

If you never used a clay bar, try one. Even the new car surface will have some degree of junk to remove. I usually clay once a year, in spring, and wax twice yearly. The product isn't nearly as important as doing it. Bonus to the clay bar is that the wax job takes half as long since the surface is so smooth.
GRB60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2014, 12:47 PM   #6
Kablemodem
2014 WK 

I've used One Grand Blitz Wax for years. I wax once or twice a year. My car is garaged at home and at work, so it doesn't spend a lot of time in the sun.
Kablemodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2014, 01:23 PM   #7
marko138
2011 WK 

I wax every summer. Gonna do my WK2 here soon.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2014, 02:58 PM   #8
pwrdbym

You should definitely wax or seal the paint on any car for protection.
On a daily driver you may want to use a paint sealant, which will last about a year. Wax degrades much more quickly in the elements. Sealants are not easily found in local stores, they typically need to be ordered.
Something like Griots Garage One Step Sealant is awesome. Sealants won't necessarily give you that glossy look of a wax, but you can put a coat of wax on top of the sealant if you desire that look.
Remember that wax doesn't remove scratches, it only fills them in until it wears off. You'd need to polish to actually remove swirls and scratches.
Something like the one step sealant above has fine polish in it, so you can remove light imperfections in one step.
I always clay bar, polish to remove fine scratches, apply paint sealant and then a coat of wax for the glossy look at least once a year and then reapply the wax about once a quarter. If done properly a coat of wax makes for very easy cleaning of your paint. Not waxing at all is very detrimental to your clear coat since tar, bird mess, acid rain and general dirt scratch and pit it if not protected. Don't forget to seal or wax your wheels as well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
pwrdbym is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2014, 03:17 PM   #9
howardusa
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I've waxed my 14 with Meguiar's Ultimate wax about 6 times in the 9 months I've owned the Jeep. Practically glows in the dark. I'm not into mud, I like a clean vehicle.
HT
howardusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2014, 04:47 PM   #10
kagmcp1

I use Zaino, and follow their directions to a tee. This stuff really outlasts wax. If you are waxing a minimum two times a year then most products are great, but Zaino is not a wax, and it will outlast any product. I stumbled upon this when I googled "how to get a show car finish". You can only order it direct. If you use it sparingly as they suggest and follow their directions the results are fantastic. The paint surface is so slick afterwards, dirt can hardly stay stuck on it.
kagmcp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2014, 05:14 PM   #11
wxchaser

2014 WK 

I clay the vehicle once or twice a year, then use a high quality paint sealant. After that cures, I use a good wax and put a couple of thin coats of that on. I probably wax at least 6 to 8 times a year, when needed. It really protects your cars/Jeeps from bird droppings, acid rain, etc. I am just anal retentive about it and I love detailing cars, even though it is a lot of work.
wxchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2014, 06:56 PM   #12
JeepGC6855
2014 WK 

I wax at least once a year and usually in the spring. Seems to make the bugs easier to get off.
Unread 04-10-2014, 07:39 PM   #13
Bullheadbud
2014 WK 

After reading this thread, felt guilty and went out and waxed my Jeep.
Bullheadbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2014, 07:50 PM   #14
MattXJ
2014 WK 

I take it to a reputable detailing shop, and lean on their advice. Basically we do a paint protection treatment every spring that includes clay bar and a 3-step wax. Other than that, just keep it clean throughout the year.
Unread 04-10-2014, 10:44 PM   #15
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2008 JK Wrangler 

Only twice per year with Meguiar's Ultimate Wax, because the climate is pretty mild here in CA and its parked in the garage most of the time. In terms of polish; I use the spray-on type between washes and to remove dust/pollen.

I don't like the Ice stuff; could never get it to be consistent with darker paint colors [one of our Jeeps is black].
DangFoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.