Do you off-road much ? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Do you off-road much ?

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

View Poll Results: Do you take your GC on an off-road trip more than once or twice a year ?
Yes 33 48.53%
No 35 51.47%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 05-02-2013, 05:52 AM   #61
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

Puddles

Back a few weekends ago was working a herding trial. Drove across the field to the holding pen and parked the Jeep. The person I was working with said your are parking in a puddle and I replied its a Jeep. Only problem I ahve had so far crossing fields is when fields are muddy the temp sensor gets covered with mud. Some time on the paved roads usally knocks the mud off so far.
One day I am going to have to figure out where the snesor is.

Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 03:18 AM   #62
WK2OZJEEP

I go monthly. Mine is the wk2 I'm the only loopy one who takes a new car and thashes it.
WK2OZJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 05:01 AM   #63
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK2OZJEEP View Post
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5i54YODl2zc I go monthly. Mine is the wk2 I'm the only loopy one who takes a new car and thashes it.
Nice! What is your setup (lift/tires/etc)? It is interesting to see how easily the wranglers get through stuff, the patriot/libertys seem to have the toughest time
gabbagabba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 05:19 AM   #64
WK2OZJEEP

The grand is definitely more dramatic but editing does make it look easier for the wranglers, don't worry the standard ones did struggle. Setup is RRO 2.5 inch lift, 275/65/r18 hankook dynapro atm's, custom radiator skid plate and all skid plates, 3.6l v6 QT2
image-10257238.jpg   image-822828969.jpg  
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #65
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

go topless

Planning on hitting my local jeep club/dealer's "go Topless" event this wkd. They are supposedly going to have a few different routes including one for 'stock jeeps' that they think my GC will do fine on.

I am picking up some A/T tires this week (stock size as I dont want warranty issues later), what tire pressure should I run for the woods?
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #66
diver110
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbagabba View Post
Planning on hitting my local jeep club/dealer's "go Topless" event this wkd. They are supposedly going to have a few different routes including one for 'stock jeeps' that they think my GC will do fine on.

I am picking up some A/T tires this week (stock size as I dont want warranty issues later), what tire pressure should I run for the woods?
The problem with reducing tire pressure is that also gives up height, not great on a GC to begin with. I would not air down. It makes more sense on lifted Wranglers with big tires running at very high pressures.
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:34 PM   #67
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver110 View Post
The problem with reducing tire pressure is that also gives up height, not great on a GC to begin with. I would not air down. It makes more sense on lifted Wranglers with big tires running at very high pressures.
Good point, I guess I was think dropping to like 28 psi for a bit extra grip and a little extra cush, esp for times when QL at OR 2 which can ride rough, but I also see your point.

Are folks pulling their front air damns off? snds like a pain
Unread 05-13-2013, 06:42 PM   #68
loveracing1988

I finally talked my wife into going off road for a few minutes yesterday, we went into a bug sand pit to turn around and I must say, sand mode works wonders... I went to back up, gave it a little gas and just started to sink. Switched from auto to sand mode (I might have been able to get away with just turning off the traction control) gave it gas and backed right out, no effort required. The brake lock diffs are loud but work a lot better than I ever thought they would. Maybe next time I can talk her into going through the mud pits we saw!
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 02:55 PM   #69
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver110 View Post
I disagree.
Airing down, even the 20" wheels helps greatly in some cases.
For example, in the Outer Banks, I'd go so far as to say don't even go out on the beach without airing down. At stock pressure you won't make it more than 100 yards, at 25psi, the WK2 will do OK, at 18psi you will be amazed at the performance.
This is about 20psi, I'm sure situations vary, but there are many cases where traction gains outweigh any difference in ride height.

WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #70
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Also low profile tires don't offer much sidewall deflection, really stiff ones might not even flex under the weight of the vehicle.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #71
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

Anyone else want to chime in on tire pressure in non sand off road?
Unread 05-16-2013, 02:29 AM   #72
WK2OZJEEP

I've tried 30 and 20 psi. 30 was ok to take the edge of bumps and corrigations. 20 was probably too low as I lost a lot of steering when I had only 2 wheels on the ground and also lost abit of air through the beads when bouncing hard on rock climbs. I would go 24psi for heavy wheeling.
Unread 05-18-2013, 08:03 PM   #73
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

Got in some decent wheeling today. Will post pics later. Me and wranglers. was supposed to be a 'stock jeep' group ride but there was only one stock wrangler and he was bottoming out a lot, me not so much. In fact, the badass modded wrangler behind me said it looked like the GC was doing great

I think I do need an alignment after today though. Not a major pull by I pull a little to the right now. What have others found after a good day of wheeling and alignment, could get pricey if I need one everytime.

I also think next time I will spend less time in QL OR2mode as the ride is choppy/rough in that setting. I was paranoid about bottoming out but I did a post ride visual on the underbody and it was pretty pristine

I think I will bump up to 265/65/18 and air down a little. Anyone else out there with QL want to comment on a great rim/tire size combo they have had off road success with?

Having hill descent control and the ability to paddle shift my crawl speed was awesome

Couple of times when I had at least one wheel 2 feet or so in the air, it was fun

Last edited by Jackal01; 05-18-2013 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: Edited for posting your tires for sale. Put that in classifieds, please.
Unread 05-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #74
zamerzant
2012 WK 

went for a water fording today after one hour travel and had much fun,n sometimes when i went in deep it felt scary but exciting at the same time.put if on off road 2 and 4WD low.

but after half an hour when i was driving bout 20-30 km/hr heard strange noise coming from the disks and looked like as if two metal plates grinding together
anyway let mi jeep rest for bout half an hour and the noise is gone!!!
overall it was amazing.
zamerzant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #75
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

One complaint is that the jeep changes the QL height when yo change selectrac, which is ok if it takes you up but not DOWN. I was spinning in some loose sand/gravel and prob a little high centered at the time, switched to sand from rock and it lowered me

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.