Do you off-road much ? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Do you off-road much ?

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesThe Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!

View Poll Results: Do you take your GC on an off-road trip more than once or twice a year ?
Yes 33 48.53%
No 35 51.47%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 04-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #46
SilverbackWK

2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbagabba View Post
This may sound lame but is there anyway to off road w/o scratching the **** out of the paint, does anyone make a clear decal for example that could come off later that would portect paint?
Wondering where this thread is going.

Anyway, I've gotten more scratches parking at the mall than offroading. Just practice smart wheeling.

2013 Grand Cherokee Altitude, 3.6L, 275/65/18 BF Goodrich TA KO, MTB KO 18", RRO 2.5" Lift, BWoody Extended Sway Bar Links, RRO Winch Mount with Combo Bar (modified), Warn Zeon 10-S Winch, RRO Sliders, Mopar Hitch and Tow Hooks, Rigid Industries Lights, GoPro Hero3 Black edition, Cobra 75WXST, 4' Firestik II
SilverbackWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #47
shekshishekki
2013 WK 

Good rule of thumb...if you're about to say "hey check this shiet out!!!" You're have a bad day...
shekshishekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #48
SilverbackWK

2013 WK 

Only if it's followed by an "Oh ****"!

2013 Grand Cherokee Altitude, 3.6L, 275/65/18 BF Goodrich TA KO, MTB KO 18", RRO 2.5" Lift, BWoody Extended Sway Bar Links, RRO Winch Mount with Combo Bar (modified), Warn Zeon 10-S Winch, RRO Sliders, Mopar Hitch and Tow Hooks, Rigid Industries Lights, GoPro Hero3 Black edition, Cobra 75WXST, 4' Firestik II
SilverbackWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #49
Trailguide
2012 WK 

If you say "watch this" then you are in trouble. To the guy that asked about scratches, usually they are caused (pin striping) by tough branches sticking out in the trail. Do I off-road, yes. I have a 97 XJ that is really built for the hard trails. But my Grand does forest roads and some tricky parts real well. And I've seen them at Jeep Jamborees (I am a trailguide for a couple) and they do well on the easy trails, if there any that is. I was talking to a fellow yesterday who had a sweet 2 door JK. During the conversation he told me never will that JK see a dirt road. I'm not a young guy, don't care about being macho, but having a Wrangler and just using it to ride around, well, I don't get it. Have some fun, take the 4x4's off road, you will enjoy it.
Trailguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #50
zr2s10
2012 WK 

I plan on off-roading mine...in about 10 years. If I do it any sooner than that, my wife may shoot me. I would like to try OBX when we go down, but I don't see her allowing that either, lol
zr2s10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #51
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

In the spirit of the thread, I voted no, but technically I do take it on off-roading trips.

WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:52 PM   #52
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbagabba
This may sound lame but is there anyway to off road w/o scratching the **** out of the paint, does anyone make a clear decal for example that could come off later that would portect paint?
It's not a lame question; no shame in wanting to protect your paint. Most trails I've ever been on are more about the potential for damage to the tub. Only time I ever had scratches (pinstriping) was on an overgrown trail full of manzanita; the stuff is thorny and stiff - real nasty to clearcoats.
DangFoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 11:34 PM   #53
Alaska-HWY JK

Some of the trails around Sedona were fairly skinny. We had to be real careful.
Alaska-HWY JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 05:13 AM   #54
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangFoo View Post
It's not a lame question; no shame in wanting to protect your paint. Most trails I've ever been on are more about the potential for damage to the tub. Only time I ever had scratches (pinstriping) was on an overgrown trail full of manzanita; the stuff is thorny and stiff - real nasty to clearcoats.
I actually have found some products online by 3M along the lines of a 'clear bra' that are available for all/most body panels so I guess that would be the solution
gabbagabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 05:26 AM   #55
KickRocks
2013 WK 

Look into Perma Plate.... and like the above post 3M makes great product too
KickRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 07:39 AM   #56
awindj
2005 KJ Liberty 

WK2 rally

Are there any rallies for the WK2?

I have 2005 Jeep Liberty and the LOST club (Liberty Offroad Special Team) has rallies. Any thing like that for the Grand Cherokee?

I have the Liberty diesel and will be getting the WK2 diesel when I can get one.
awindj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:09 AM   #57
Trespasser
1999 TJ Wrangler 

First, last, and only time I'll ever wheel this vehicle. Mine just isn't meant for it. (QT1, no skid plates, no tow hooks). This trip was just after trading my JK when the baby came along, for safety reasons, and I was going through serious Jeep withdrawl symptoms.

Now that I've got an old TJ again (as a "weekend warrior") there's no need to take the family hauler where she doesn't really belong.
Trespasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 12:06 PM   #58
mx71
2013 WK 

I don't have any dedicated trips planned, but a lot of what I do (hiking/camping/shooting eetc.) involves off roading to get there.
mx71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #59
illflo
2012 WK 

I'll chime in on the original question: Yes. I spend a ton of time crossing fields and in the mud. I needed a vehicle nice enough to haul around investors, management, etc. on field visits of the conservation sites I was working on. One that would cross muddy job sites/logging roads/crop fields/hunting preserves. I had a full size pick-up, but decided to switch to the V6 WK2 because of MPG. I'm also an avid bird-hunter and wanted something to get me out near marshes and through fields to hunt. So no rock crawling or anything like that, but definitely have used mine "off road" quite a bit since I bought it aprx. a month ago. Capability and luxury were both major parts of my purchasing decision.
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #60
toymandarrell

Yes have taken my off-road about eight times in the last year. Last month in Death Valley California I ruined one of my stock tires. With no fix available I replaced all four with a set of Falken Wildpeak A/T tires . Last weekend spent four days off-roading in Red Rock state park area north of Los Angeles. Did great,went everywhere the Wranglers did . Tires had much more grip then stock Michelins. Love to get the RR lift and super sliders next!
toymandarrell is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.