Do you off-road much ? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Do you off-road much ?

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

View Poll Results: Do you take your GC on an off-road trip more than once or twice a year ?
Yes 33 48.53%
No 35 51.47%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 04-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #31
JetBlast
2014 WK 

I want to take mine out on the trails with a few minor obstacles to try out. Nothing insane! I only have QT1 installed however, it seems like that system is pretty capable of trailing almost everywhere. I definitely want to get a nice wheel/tire package and do the 2.5" lift one day if I get into trailing much more. Here in WA, trails seem to be everywhere so it is an adventure I definitely want to try. I am very interested in getting a Wrangler for other trips!

JetBlast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #32
FAUEE
2011 WK 

Only offroading mine sees is the dirt roads to some hiking trails, and the snowy roads to the ski lodge.

I bought it because of its features, interior, styling, and ride. I'd likely have been satisfied by an X5, Cayenne, etc. but liked the Jeep's looks the most.
FAUEE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #33
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailguide View Post
I'm certain if you asked in Jeep forums "how many of you Wrangler owners go off-road" you would get a high percentage, but the fact remains in the real world only a few Wranglers go off road. Which brings up the question, why would you buy a Wrangler and not take it off road?

I know this, if you do not take a GC off road, you are missing a huge part of its capabilitty. Get a Van.
I have a 2008 JKU (Wrangler) and a 2013 WK2 (GC Trailhawk) and can answer this. The reality where I live [and where a lot of others live] is that trails are becoming scarce. Urban sprawl has turned what used to be accessible land into apartment complexes, strip malls, and office buildings.

The majority of trails are 2 hours North of me, unless I want to consider short-duration farm/ranch trails about 20 minutes East. I do take my Wrangler off-road, but it's mostly moderate wheeling, as rock crawling is about as appealing to me as playing golf or bingo: boring. I do light wheeling when I'm in the Tahoe area, but that's about it. The GC simply doesn't have the ground clearance of my JKU [3" lift and 35s], though I plan to run some fire/access trails this Summer.
DangFoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #34
fwdjeep
2013 WK 

Was there any other reason to buy a 4x4 but o go off road
Australia
fwdjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #35
Cerveja
2000 XJ Cherokee 

It's probably too late, but if you haven't hit the trails yet, be sure to fix the front end first. Most of the Grand Cherokees and Commanders have a small section of fascia under the fog lamps that can be removed. Usually has plastic clips or quarter turn fasteners to pop them loose. It will buy you a couple extra degrees of approach angle. Plus removing it intentionally is much cheaper than having to replace it at the dealership on Monday....
Cerveja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 06:34 AM   #36
jgiuliani

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwdjeep
Was there any other reason to buy a 4x4 but o go off road
More will buy a 4x4 for winter driving than off-roading.
jgiuliani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #37
JetBlast
2014 WK 

After being engulfed in the Jeep culture, i want a Wrangler as a 2nd vehicle now!
JetBlast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #38
xjrguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

This thing is fantastic offroad. I have it and a highly modified Rubicon. I try to take my Jeeps offroad at least several times a month.

I also have a Jeep/Mopar Extreme camp trailer and I towed that thing up a mountain via offroad trail with rocks and such with my JGC and didn't break a sweat.

The best thing is the two vehicles drive so different from each other on and off road I don't get bored.

I absolutely love these Jeeps and glad I live in an area full of places to take them offroad.

Had the JGC running trails in Joshua Tree as well and the only problem I had was the damn SAND MODE error (SERV 4WD) - hopefully there is a fix for that soon.

xjrguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #39
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjrguy
This thing is fantastic offroad. I have it and a highly modified Rubicon. I try to take my Jeeps offroad at least several times a month.

I also have a Jeep/Mopar Extreme camp trailer and I towed that thing up a mountain via offroad trail with rocks and such with my JGC and didn't break a sweat.

The best thing is the two vehicles drive so different from each other on and off road I don't get bored.

I absolutely love these Jeeps and glad I live in an area full of places to take them offroad.

Had the JGC running trails in Joshua Tree as well and the only problem I had was the damn SAND MODE error (SERV 4WD) - hopefully there is a fix for that soon.
xjrguy:

Clearly, you're having fun with your Jeeps [JK and Wrangler owner here too] and that's what it's all about.
DangFoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #40
superjuleslee
2011 WK 

Just this Easter up near mount buller on the howqua river in Victoria Australia. I love my off roading

image-4177191804.jpg

YouTube (Short URL)
?start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>
superjuleslee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #41
diver110
2009 WK 

I have been offroad a fair amount in my still stock WK (lift planned). QDII is amazing. In most conditions, I can keep with a Rubicon.
Unread 04-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #42
Alaska-HWY JK

Who's driving the Rubicon, a soccer mom that doesn't know what the locker switches are for.
Alaska-HWY JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 07:40 PM   #43
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska-HWY JK
Who's driving the Rubicon, a soccer mom that doesn't know what the locker switches are for.
Most conditions include the mall parking lot and fire roads IMO
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2013, 11:28 AM   #44
SilverbackWK

2013 WK 

Hell Ya!

Going to Durhamtown next weekend with the Georgia Crawlers group.

And, I agree that I see more JK's out there without a single scratch. They are bought from the dealer with 36" tires, winches, lights, and never see a trail.... ever! Why buy a Wrangler if you're not going to use it. Probably the most impractical vehicle for daily driving. But hey.... for some reason, women love to buy them.

2013 Grand Cherokee Altitude, 3.6L, 275/65/18 BF Goodrich TA KO, MTB KO 18", RRO 2.5" Lift, BWoody Extended Sway Bar Links, RRO Winch Mount with Combo Bar (modified), Warn Zeon 10-S Winch, RRO Sliders, Mopar Hitch and Tow Hooks, Rigid Industries Lights, GoPro Hero3 Black edition, Cobra 75WXST, 4' Firestik II
SilverbackWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #45
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

This may sound lame but is there anyway to off road w/o scratching the **** out of the paint, does anyone make a clear decal for example that could come off later that would portect paint?
gabbagabba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.