Do you off-road much ? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Do you off-road much ?

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

View Poll Results: Do you take your GC on an off-road trip more than once or twice a year ?
Yes 33 48.53%
No 35 51.47%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 03-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #16
pnwsnow

I work with farms and have used it on muddy roads and fields. I also use the 4x4 when I travel over the sierras in the winter. It's not a rubicon rig, but it holds it's own in my off road driving.

pnwsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #17
MacDad
2012 WK 

Have you seen the roads in Washington, DC?! I off road every day driving to work on them. Hahaha. But seriously, after crashing around in sports cars for years on these streets, having the durability of something built to drive in the rough stuff is a pleasure. And it will come in handy the couple times a year it snows hard... And the couple times a year we head to vacation spots where it's helpful getting in and out.
MacDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2012, 04:13 AM   #18
WK2OZJEEP

I have taken myJGC off road at least once a month. First time was when it was 2 months old went dune jumping bent the radiator and lost a number plate. Went really well on sand even better than all the modded 4wd's with us. Have also done some difficult trails with ruts and rocks. Ground clearance was the only issue but the 2.5 lift and bigger tyres will fix that. 4wd system is great, can be dramatic at times but it gets the job done

image-2156100631.jpg

image-2475762850.jpg
image-641050806.jpg  
WK2OZJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #19
Greg012GCO
2012 WK 

Did anyone see that crazy show the other night when they took 3 minivans off road in Colorado over the divide?

Let us not forget also, that Jeep took a stock GC over the Rubicon trail and it conquered it.

But you have to have some large ex$pendable in the cookie jar to slam around a 45k vehicle. Where I live in northern Colorado, there are no paved roads after mine between here and Wyoming, and all the way to well on the other side of the continental divide. There are lot's of level 6 dirt roads, which aren't drastic but are fun in the winter. There are lot's of fire roads, which are fun and not too drastic. There are lot's of loggin trails, also fun. And there are quite a few actual 4x4 trails with rock crawling "sections" that can be most of the time driven around. I'm sure with off-road II, none of these would be a problem with this vehicle. But personally, I would never risk scraping it up, or rolling it over. I would get a used Wrangler for that. My JGC is capable and I've had it out to the wilderness and will more as the snow melts higher up. But it's way too nice to mess up.
Greg012GCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2012, 09:36 AM   #20
dhoge88
1997 XJ Cherokee 

^^ ya that was Topgear. Hilarious!
Unread 03-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #21
Trailguide
2012 WK 

The JGC was a perfect answer for me. My wife and I manage to get out West at least once a year. We had a motorhome and trailer and carried my TJ all over the West. I had to sell the motorhome when business slowed in the current economy. Although my TJ is fine on the highway long trips are not that comfortable in a lifted jeep. Most of the offroad trails we did go on with the TJ I can do with the GC. Most trails were
scenic and trails to get you out into the wilderness. We plan on taking it to the north rim this year and go to Toroweap and Point Sublime and a few other forest roads. Also, I'm looking for a used small trailer. Whats not to like about the GC? If your carefull and experienced you have way less chance of scraping it and certainly not rolling it. Not where I will take it.
Trailguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2012, 09:59 AM   #22
Trailguide
2012 WK 

I'm certain if you asked in Jeep forums "how many of you Wrangler owners go off-road" you would get a high percentage, but the fact remains in the real world only a few Wranglers go off road. Which brings up the question, why would you buy a Wrangler and not take it off road?

I know this, if you do not take a GC off road, you are missing a huge part of its capabilitty. Get a Van.
Unread 03-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #23
Alaska-HWY JK

This GC Overland we just purchased will never see what my 2007 4 door JK does. We do plan on driving to Sedona in early April and will do some mild stuff. I'm sure that its capable of more but I'm not going mod crazy on this one. Just Mopar rock rails and one size up on the tires. It sure is a nice vehicle to drive and a 3000km trip in it will be more comfortable and quieter to drive than the Wrangler.
Alaska-HWY JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #24
Trailguide
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska-HWY JK View Post
This GC Overland we just purchased will never see what my 2007 4 door JK does. We do plan on driving to Sedona in early April and will do some mild stuff. I'm sure that its capable of more but I'm not going mod crazy on this one. Just Mopar rock rails and one size up on the tires. It sure is a nice vehicle to drive and a 3000km trip in it will be more comfortable and quieter to drive than the Wrangler.
My thoughts exactly. I have an XJ and the TJ, and I really love the sport and the clubs we belong to, and the friendly crowd is just that, people having a great time off road. But my GC will never see those trails either. However, it can certainly do forest roads and many dirt trails and if you reach a spot that takes more than a SUV to get through, the GC is the vehicle to have in that instance, and they are there.
Unread 03-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #25
padgett
2012 WK 

This is interesting. The only "off road" within several hundred miles is the beach and I suspect the traction control will take care of that.

Funny you mention minivans because my previous tow/multipassenger vehicle was a Pontiac TranSport that suited me but wanted something with a more towing capacity & a bit more style. The JGC Laredo 2WD is both and all things considered I could not have bought anything equivalent (and was looking at 2010 and 2011 vehicles as well) as inexpensively (well, a few extra benjamins for a new 2012 with full warrenty & the towing package).

Am not a "soccer mom" but have had tow cars for a very long time (had a wagon in college that some thought odd until I demonstrated what you could do when parked backwards at a drive-in movie, also towed my B/P 'vette). Am slowly getting it configured properly - will take about a year - but like it better now than when I bought it.

BTW I like the original "Top Gear" a lot better. One of the lines from the CD show was appropriate, "Morons on ice".

One of these is a diesel.
Unread 03-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #26
MaineJeep11
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK2OZJEEP View Post
I have taken myJGC off road at least once a month. First time was when it was 2 months old went dune jumping bent the radiator and lost a number plate. Went really well on sand even better than all the modded 4wd's with us. Have also done some difficult trails with ruts and rocks. Ground clearance was the only issue but the 2.5 lift and bigger tyres will fix that. 4wd system is great, can be dramatic at times but it gets the job done
Great pictures! Glad to see you're having fun with the GC and it's doing well off road. I'll be doing some of this as soon as the snow melts.
MaineJeep11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #27
MAXGroup
2012 WK 

Off road For my overland

I will defentily take mine off road. I live in northern NJ so I need to drive a few hours to get off road, but I end up doing that with every SUV I owned.

I owned GC's from 1998 to 2004 and they never let me down off road, got my 2012 with the QL and off road 2 so it should be fun to take it off road.
MAXGroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 07:01 AM   #28
JMP8562

post some videos or pics I would like to see what youz do off roading especially MOAB
89 lifted wrangler to 95 lifted cherokee to 01 GC now 07 JK 4 DOOR X WITH HIGH ROCK FRONT WINCH BUMPER APPROACH ROLLERS/WARN 9.5TI WINCH WITH UNDER THE HOOD CUT-OFF SWITCH/2.5" SS lift/1"M.O.R.E BL/33" BFG KM2 ON STOCK 17"/RIVER RAIDER ROCKER GUARDS-SLIDERS/OFF ROAD HEROS FASTBACK SOFT TOP/GIBSON DUEL EXHAUST/CUSTOM MADE TRUNK/HELLA FF300/HELLA500 W-WINDSHIELD MOUNTS/DELTA SKYBAR/CARBON FIBER DASH KIT/DUEL AND SINGLE GUAGE PODS WITH VOLT-OIL PRESSURE-OIL TEMP GUAGES/COBRA 75 CB/AND A LOT OF RECOVERY GEAR
JMP8562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #29
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

Nearly zero "off road"...or less. A muddy parking lot at horse shows occasionally, but otherwise, I'm strictly a highway driver. I bought my Summit for the luxury and towing capability, not off-road prowess.
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #30
Alaska-HWY JK

We actually did take ours offroad in Sedona. We did Soldiers Pass and Broken Arrow except the stairs in stock form with OEM tires. Got some funny looks as it was brand new. With the OR2 and ELSD it did well on the sandstone. The GCs failure is having one tire in the air when going over things. I know I'll get flamed from the pseudo hard core GC offroaders here but these are not offroad vehicles anymore. They're fine for fire roads and mild trails but without proper bumpers the front end and rear end will get torn up. I put Mopar rock rails and 275/55/20s on because the OEM 18" rims are just plain ugly but it's my wife's Jeep. It gets her around good in the winter. We have a JK for real offroading.
Alaska-HWY JK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.