JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/)
-   -   Do you off-road much ? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/do-you-off-road-much-1340669/)

BigM-740 03-09-2012 03:28 PM

Do you off-road much ?

Have you taken (or do you plan on taking) your GC on an off-road trip more than once or twice a year ?

Jackal01 03-09-2012 03:30 PM

I will have to travel since there is not a lot of places (legal) that I know of around Houston but I plan on it multiple times a year not including the camping and backpacking trips we take.

BigM-740 03-09-2012 03:38 PM

I was thinking that answers would obviously depend on geographic area, but I'm very curious to know if off-road trips make an important factor when deciding to purchase the GC. Interesting to know you're willing to travel to go off-roading !

scottfehr 03-09-2012 03:40 PM

For our GC, off road = garage.

WvTaco 03-09-2012 04:45 PM

Jeep. Dirt country road. That's about all. Maybe up the gas road/ haul road.

My dd truck yes

Jackal01 03-09-2012 04:48 PM

Mine is my DD also but these things are designed to do some offroading...have to see what the hype is all about!

Mojo51 03-09-2012 05:21 PM

I'll be in Moab next month with mine. Also gonna do toroweap, Sedona and Phoenix area trails.

MaineJeep11 03-09-2012 10:56 PM

I have done some decent offroading, and plan to do more. I think the traction control and 4wd systems in these WK2's are excellent. Ground clearance and articulation aren't great, but the 4wd system and TC make up for some of that. I don't understand why anyone would get an SUV like a Jeep or Land Rover unless they planned to go offroad (other than to tow with). But to each his own

Big50 03-09-2012 11:37 PM

I'm taking mine out tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get some good video.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaineJeep11 (Post 13211175)
I have done some decent offroading, and plan to do more. I think the traction control and 4wd systems in these WK2's are excellent. Ground clearance and articulation aren't great, but the 4wd system and TC make up for some of that. I don't understand why anyone would get an SUV like a Jeep or Land Rover unless they planned to go offroad (other than to tow with). But to each his own

Um, these are really made for the street now. They are better then most newer SUV's on the road but that's really not saying much. Wrangler is the only real vehicle that Jeep makes that is really geared towards offroading. And I say this as someone who is going to take it offroading :D

BigM-740 03-10-2012 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaineJeep11 (Post 13211175)
I don't understand why anyone would get an SUV like a Jeep or Land Rover unless they planned to go offroad (other than to tow with). But to each his own

It's very interesting though how many would buy it for anything except off-roading. I believe safety & cargo space are good deciding factors. As is the case with the Cayenne, X5, Q7, ML,...the cost incurred by the manufacturer to build the off-road components on a vehicle like the WK2 is much lower than the cost of building everything else (luxury cabin, electronics gimmicks). I think striking a balance between form and function is the big deal these days.

MaineJeep11 03-10-2012 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big50 (Post 13211351)
I'm taking mine out tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get some good video.

Um, these are really made for the street now. They are better then most newer SUV's on the road but that's really not saying much. Wrangler is the only real vehicle that Jeep makes that is really geared towards offroading. And I say this as someone who is going to take it offroading :D

Yeah, I hear you. It just seemed funny to me that we had a thread going on a Jeep forum about "will you take it off road" and I was thinking personally if I wasn't ever going to venture off the pavement there are a lot of other things I would look at. But, then again no one asked for my commentary either :cheers2:

2MchFun 03-10-2012 08:31 AM

I go to the beach every year and need the capabilty to drive in soft sand. Also, we get serious snow every few years.
I traded in 2 vehicles on my GC Summit - a Ford 4x4 pickup and an AWD Infiniti G35. My goal was to get down to 2 vehicles (from 3). The Ford truck was a champ in the snow/sand/mud/etc. and had great load capacity. The Infiniti was a comfortable ride with really nice interior. I wanted something that would come close to matching the capabilities of both vehicles. It came down to the RR Sport or the GC. I feel I made the right choice.

kkuntz01 03-10-2012 08:52 AM

Our GC is primarily a DD. Living the Chicago Area, there is no place within a couple hundred miles that you can legally take your Heep off road. Well technically there are a couple of off road parks, but I am not about to tear up a $40k truck trying to have a little fun on the weekend.

Having said that, the main reason we have our GC is comfort and convenience around town, and to carry us on cross country trips. This last trip had us on a 4500 mile road trip through the southwest with the GC seeing a little off pavement action in Nevada and Colorado.

We didn't buy this with the expectation off taking it on every dirt road every weekend. We wanted something that could handle some light duty off road travel and GC was the only vehicle at the price point we could afford that fit the bill.

As I begin the planning for next years vacation back to Colorado I can honestly say the GC will remain parked and we'll be taking our Rubicon. Granted, I'd much prefer the power and comfort of the GC on the trip out there, BUT I want the piece of mind of knowing the vehicle I'm taking off pavement will without a doubt get me up, over and through where I want to go.

UNCjeepWK2 03-10-2012 09:41 AM

Only off-roading I've done is on the beaches of the OBX (NC).

padgett 03-10-2012 11:12 AM

Only off roading I might do is around airports and campgrounds, bought the jeep for really four reasons: interesting technically, towing capability, looks (still working on that but have never liked a lot of chrome), and price (new Jeep with full warrenty for price of used "other" 2010/2011s).

Hard part was accepting that to get the tow capacity I needed required a vehicle the size of the WK2. Serendipity was seeing better than DOE rated fuel economy from new (not over 1,000 miles yet) when forums for other blimpmobiles (maybe this is more of a Zeppelin) with higher ratings were full of complaints of poor MPG (even if the EVIC seems a little optomistic).

So doubt I will ever see a rocky trail other than my sister's driveway in Arizona, I really bought it for other reasons & should spend most of its miles on Interstates. Looks like a lot of others are the same. Is really being a collision of cultures. May be a doctoral thesis here...

The time now is 04:35 AM.