Do Over Again......... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Do Over Again.........

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 01-14-2014, 12:42 PM   #1
HarleyDad14

Do Over Again.........

Looking to purchase a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. Still in negotiation stage, but looking for some things you would suggest to request during this process.

If you had it to do over again, what would you have asked for during the purchasing / negotiation phase of getting your new vehicle?

HarleyDad14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 12:44 PM   #2
eibyer

If you're one of those folks who want the peace of mind of extended warranty, get a quote online and see if your dealer will match it. They will try and sell it to you hard

Last edited by eibyer; 01-14-2014 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: can't spell
eibyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 12:53 PM   #3
aquabear

If I got the extended warranty, I'd have a loaner car every time I was in the shop and not wait 2 weeks for a loaner to be available. Most new cars will be fine but not mine .
aquabear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
TurboRush

I'd push to get MaxCare warranty tossed, even if they toss in the 7y/70k version of it that'll get you a rental car for each repair and it covers just about everything and is about a $1k value.
TurboRush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 09:45 AM   #5
mx71
2013 WK 

+1 to making sure you get a rental with each repair. I have to fight them on it every time. While I usually get it, it'd be nice for it to be hassle free.

I also have them throw in a detail and full tank of gas with every car I buy.
mx71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 03:17 PM   #6
wriggly1dog
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx71 View Post
+1 to making sure you get a rental with each repair. I have to fight them on it every time. While I usually get it, it'd be nice for it to be hassle free.

I also have them throw in a detail and full tank of gas with every car I buy.
My dealer ticked me off when I got my GC. It was my bad not to notice it though, they gave me the Jeep with less than a quarter tank.
When I bought my Mustang back in July, they filled the tank. So did the Subaru dealer I got my wife's car from.

I mentioned it after the fact the next day to the salesman, and his response was he couldn't do anything about it. When I traded the mustang in on the jeep, I forgot to put the convertible top boot in the trunk. I never used it, and it was still in the plastic. The salesman called a few days later asking if I had it, because he had a buyer for the Mustang, and I told him I sold it to get some gas. The silence on the other end of the phone was pretty funny.
wriggly1dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 03:51 PM   #7
eibyer

Lol
eibyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 04:30 PM   #8
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggly1dog View Post

I mentioned it after the fact the next day to the salesman, and his response was he couldn't do anything about it. When I traded the mustang in on the jeep, I forgot to put the convertible top boot in the trunk. I never used it, and it was still in the plastic. The salesman called a few days later asking if I had it, because he had a buyer for the Mustang, and I told him I sold it to get some gas. The silence on the other end of the phone was pretty funny.
BAM!

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 05:05 PM   #9
mx71
2013 WK 

They've gotten really stingy with it, but if you're prepared to walk over a tank of gas, they'll get it filled pretty quickly. My favorite car dealer negotiation tactic is play up the "I can't afford that. The car is so nice but I just don't have the money", and "This is how much i want my payment to be, for this term, with this down payment". If they can't make it work with either of those, I leave and they call me the next day and completely cave to what I want. You aren't doing it right if the sales manager doesn't hate you.
Unread 01-15-2014, 09:48 PM   #10
MattXJ
2014 WK 

Mopar extended warranty.. they weren't willing to negotiate at the time on price, so I skipped it. Wished I had pushed harder, and gotten it. Particularly b/c my SRT only gets 3 yrs from the factory.
Unread 01-18-2014, 08:11 AM   #11
HaydenHunter
2014 WK 

I go on the websites of dealers in at least a 300 mile radius. I determine a handful of cars that would fit my bill. When I go into a dealer, I liberally mention I am willing to travel to get a better deal and that the car on his lot is not the car I absolutely must have. This takes away the power that they usually have over you. If you have a hard-on for a particular car and they know it, the power is theirs.

Be prepared to walk out of the dealership...more than once if necessary. This also tells them that you are not going to do something stupid, like over-paying for a car that they have and that you must have. My motto is that there's always another car that will fit my bill.

Do your homework. Find out the dealer invoice cost and holdback. Then you will be in the neighborhood of what they paid for the car. There are always bonuses on top of that for the dealer...you will never know the true value of these to the dealer.

I took the advice of a couple of threads on this forum and worked a deal for 4.5 per cent off of dealer invoice. That's a pretty good deal. The best we have seen on these forums are in the 5% to 5.5% range. But I was happy with 4.5%. And yes, I left the dealership with a full tank of gas.

I'd have negotiated hard for a deal on the Mopar extended service contract, but the dealer we bought from did not offer it. They tried to sell me a third party contract which was probably quite legit. But I wanted Mopar, declined, and later bought a Max Care Lifetiime Service Contract online from Ziegler Auto Group.
HaydenHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2014, 11:34 AM   #12
mx71
2013 WK 

Also check out truecar.com to see what others are paying in your area. I didn't know about this until after I got mine, but I came in right about what others did.
Unread 01-20-2014, 02:08 PM   #13
Cxrob

Not sure who you employer is... but mine has a Partner Program with Jeep .. .I paid 1% below invoice and all other rebates/incentives on top of that.. loyatly lease $1000 , my wife is a realtor they gave us $500 (this may be a local thing), and there was another manufacturer rebate of $1500.. There wasn't much left on the bone for the dealer. You may want to mention the Affiliate Partner Program... my dealer actually never asked for the code/proof.
Cxrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.