Disconnect DRL - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Disconnect DRL

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 01-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
F16driver
2013 WK 

Disconnect DRL

I have a 2013 Overland and would like to disconnect the DRLs but the fuse (M15 20 amp yellow mini fuse according to the owner's manual) also powers the power seat, adaptive cruise control, air suspension, instrument cluster, etc. Does anyone know of another way to disconnect the DRLs or at least fix the DRLs so that one doesn't turn off when the blinker is on? I don't mind the DRLs so much but I'm not a fan of the one light turning off when the blinker is on. TIA!

Unread 01-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

This has been discussed previously...I believe that the "one side off during blinker" is a safety requirement thing if I remember correctly.
Unread 01-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
Kev M
2012 WK 

Out of curiosity, what's the objection to the turn signal interaction?
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
F16driver
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
Out of curiosity, what's the objection to the turn signal interaction?
Cosmetic really. I don't like that it looks like I have a headlight out every time I use the blinker. It's not a huge deal but if it's an easy fix then I figure I'd do it. Plus, I had read in my search that a couple of guys had actually received fix-it tickets for an inoperable headlight even though they showed the officer that it works. I know that's probably a pretty rare occurrence but a PIA nonetheless.
Unread 01-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
97HMCS
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by F16driver View Post
Cosmetic really. I don't like that it looks like I have a headlight out every time I use the blinker. It's not a huge deal but if it's an easy fix then I figure I'd do it. Plus, I had read in my search that a couple of guys had actually received fix-it tickets for an inoperable headlight even though they showed the officer that it works. I know that's probably a pretty rare occurrence but a PIA nonetheless.
So, are you saying the headlight goes out when the turn signal is on?
97HMCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #6
F16driver
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97HMCS View Post
So, are you saying the headlight goes out when the turn signal is on?
Misspeak on my part. The DRL (not the headlight) on the side of the active blinker turns off while the blinker is on. It is a "safety feature" that was added to increase visibility of the blinker during the day.
Unread 01-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #7
97HMCS
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by F16driver View Post
Misspeak on my part. The DRL (not the headlight) on the side of the active blinker turns off while the blinker is on. It is a "safety feature" that was added to increase visibility of the blinker during the day.
I know about the DRL's. I just don't understand how a ticket could be issued for a DRL being out. If for some odd reason it does happen in your area, you will be in BIG trouble if you disable them.
Unread 01-26-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
Kev M
2012 WK 

I can't imagine why anyone would be in trouble for disabling then. There is no federal or state requirement that I know of for them.

That said, they don't bother me in the slightest on the Jeep, and I actually like the clever way it shuts off with a turn signal for better signal visibility so I'd leave them alone personally.

I did disable them on my last Subaru, but they were more annoying.
Unread 01-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #9
97HMCS
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
I can't imagine why anyone would be in trouble for disabling then. There is no federal or state requirement that I know of for them.

That said, they don't bother me in the slightest on the Jeep, and I actually like the clever way it shuts off with a turn signal for better signal visibility so I'd leave them alone personally.

I did disable them on my last Subaru, but they were more annoying.
I was joking because the OP stated some people had actually received fix-it tickets for an inoperable headlight.
Unread 01-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #10
F16driver
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97HMCS View Post
I know about the DRL's. I just don't understand how a ticket could be issued for a DRL being out. If for some odd reason it does happen in your area, you will be in BIG trouble if you disable them.
The DRL wasn't out. It was doing what it was designed to do. It was deactivated because he had his turn signal on and the cop pulled him over because he thought he had an inoperative headlight...even though it was 8:30 in the morning. The cop still gave him a ticket even after the driver showed him that it was just a DRL doing what it was designed to do.

Like I said earlier, it's not a huge deal. It's just slightly annoying and I was hoping for a quick fix. It seems as though in the '11 and '12 GC's you can just pull the DRL relay but it seems that the '13 has a combined fuse that doesn't allow that.
Unread 01-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #11
jgc4ever
2012 WK 

I disabled the DRLs on my 2012 Overland. Go into the smallest fusebox (under the hood, passenger side), there are 3 relays that are labeled OMRON. Pull the two on the right side.
disabling-drls-pull-two-omron-right.jpg  
jgc4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #12
shekshishekki
2013 WK 

How does it bother you if you're driving and cant see it??? :P
shekshishekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #13
F16driver
2013 WK 

Thanks jgc4ever. I'll take a look at that fuse box when I get home in a week and see if that will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekshishekki View Post
How does it bother you if you're driving and cant see it??? :P
Because I know it's happening and I'm reminded whenever I see my reflection in the car in front of me.
Unread 01-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #14
adamchrtrnd
2013 WK 

I didn't realize that it happened like that until I looked in my rearview mirror and saw the jeep behind me turn his blinker on. I don't understand why that happens. The only thing I can think of is so oncoming traffic can see the blinker over the DRL.. but at night your headlight doesn't turn off. Makes no sense.
Unread 01-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #15
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamchrtrnd View Post
I didn't realize that it happened like that until I looked in my rearview mirror and saw the jeep behind me turn his blinker on. I don't understand why that happens. The only thing I can think of is so oncoming traffic can see the blinker over the DRL.. but at night your headlight doesn't turn off. Makes no sense.
Makes perfect sense. It is because the difference in light is insufficient when ambient light (daylight) is bright.

You'll notice that all lights (signals, markers, headlights etc) tend to be more noticeable at night.

Early LED brake and taillights were often not distinguishable in daylight, but obvious at night.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.