Diff fluid change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Diff fluid change

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, Yu

Unread 02-16-2014, 03:07 PM   #1
Smurphymurphy89

Diff fluid change

Hey guys I'm looking to change my moms front and rear diff fluid does anyone know how much diff fluid goes into the front and the rear diffs.. I'm guessing there is a fill and a drain plug is that correct? Thanks for any response 2011 jeep grAnd Cherokee

Smurphymurphy89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2014, 04:10 PM   #2
ColoradoGrand
2012 WK 

My 5.7 laredo X took 1.25 quarts in the rear and 1.1 quarts for the front they both have a fill and drain plug. Changing the fluids and refilling was very easy. I recommend that you purchase the gear lube from the dealer even though it will be more expensive.
ColoradoGrand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2014, 10:54 PM   #3
Smurphymurphy89

Thanks.. The gear lube is the diff fluid that you use? because I was planning on getting that from the dealer anyway and what size socket is the fill plug? Drain plug? Appreciate the response.. I have a 05 BMW myself that I do all my own work on but I'm just learning on jeeps
Smurphymurphy89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2014, 06:07 AM   #4
spinxt

I believe I used three quarts for the front and rear combined. You just basically pump it in with a hand pump until it begins to seep back out.

Make sure you use the correct lube. It's not just straight up gear lube. Especially if you have one of the more advanced 4wd systems.
spinxt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2014, 12:45 PM   #5
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

before i drop $50+ a qt. is there an acceptable alternative?

mine are due. and on my wk1 i used all mopar fluid in it. there are alternate synthetics listed for the wk2 but i wanted to make sure they didn't need an additive or anything.

Thanks guys. search just came up with random threads. not sure why.
Unread 02-22-2014, 05:44 AM   #6
spinxt

What drive system do you have? I know there is no alternative for QD II. Browse Amazon, sometimes you can find it on sale.

This isn't something you want to cheap out on. These 4wd systems are very advanced. Even of you found a cheaper fluid that would theoretically work, it would probably be noisy in 4wd operation.
spinxt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2014, 08:15 AM   #7
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The base awd system in a laredo

Lots of times there's perfectly acceptable mon mopar fluid. Like the manual transmission fluid in my tj.

It's not about cheaping out. I'm pretty sure there's no clutch packs or anything in the diffs for the base 4x4 system.

Assuming you HAVE to use mopar fluid is one thing. I didn't know if anyone had cross referenced the part numbers.
Unread 02-22-2014, 11:00 AM   #8
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinxt View Post
What drive system do you have? I know there is no alternative for QD II. Browse Amazon, sometimes you can find it on sale.

This isn't something you want to cheap out on. These 4wd systems are very advanced. Even of you found a cheaper fluid that would theoretically work, it would probably be noisy in 4wd operation.
If anything the wrong fluid would take the bearings out, if you had qd2 and used the wrong fluid it would result in more than noisy operation.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2014, 04:32 PM   #9
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Chrysler uses different bearings than the rest of the world?

(Rhetorical question)

So nobody knows if there's a cross over gear oil?
Unread 02-22-2014, 05:00 PM   #10
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
Chrysler uses different bearings than the rest of the world?

(Rhetorical question)

No, I mean if you use the wrong viscosity.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2014, 05:42 PM   #11
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post

A quick forum search for "diff fluid" indicates a variety of 75w-85 oils will work, Amsoil, RedLine, Mobil... The owners manual spells out the minimum requirements, and there are several that satisfy. I don't recall seeing a single page cross reference... I think because just about any modern 75w-85 diff oil will work. Pick your favorite brand. Those that have ELSDs should use the mopar fluid, however.

This page has some detail on capacities and schedules

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_maintenance.htm
Unread 02-22-2014, 11:32 PM   #12
llahtjp

while in the neighborhood, R&R the transfer case... ATF+4 for QT1
llahtjp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.