Diesel vs V8- High cruising speed limits? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Diesel vs V8- High cruising speed limits?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 06-05-2014, 10:03 PM   #16
Dgravley

I own the 2014 Hemi GC. I really wanted the diesel, and waited 5 months to drive it. The turbo diesel is awesome to drive in the city. I was seconds away form making an offer when I decided to drive the v8 one more time. Once you past 40-50 mph, the hemi is WAY more responsive. I calculated that I needed to drive 30,0000 miles to get my money back on the cost difference between the v8 and desiel. Since I drive less than 10k miles a year, the diesel made very little sense. I would absolutely get the diesel if I drove 30k+ miles a year or towed a lot.

Dgravley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2014, 11:42 PM   #17
chartx

After aorund 25mph, hemi always faster than the diesel. Quarter mile test is 15 sec with 93 miles on hemi whereas 16.1 sec with 84 miles on diesel.

50mph to 70mph, it takes 4.7 sec on hemi; 5.7 sec on diesel.

From a stop to 100mph; all it takes for hemi is 17.5 secs; for diesel it takes 24.9 secs.

In fact even V6 gas is showing better performance than the v6 diesel after 40mph.

All of them are nice engines at the end, test drive them.

Here are links for data:

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...e-hemi-v-8.pdf
http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...diesel-4x4.pdf
http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...6-overland.pdf
chartx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2014, 05:42 AM   #18
ZheWiz
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Xk View Post
Hemi is tried and true. Diesel, well they have issues. Seems like a lot of issues to the point they're stuck at dealerships so you will get really good MPG in rentals.
Uhhh, COMPLETELY untrue. Where'd this come from? FUD FUD FUD. Why are Americans so afraid of diesels?

Anyway...I bought a diesel and I don't drive 30K per year and I don't tow, at least not anything that requires a diesel. So why did I buy it? I love the torque/MPG combo. Will it "pay for itself?" No, but then I've never had any vehicle that paid for itself. The torque is great, the range is wonderful,the MPG is excellent for a vehicle of this size.

Don't want to turn this into another diesel vs V6 vs Hemi thread, but try out the three engines and put away your calculator until AFTER you've done so. Only after you've experienced the differences between the engines can you make a sensible judgement as to whether one of the optional engines is worth it to you or not.
ZheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2014, 06:19 AM   #19
esimp

I would have bought the diesel except for three things that didn't work out in Feb when I purchased my v8.

1.) dealer discounted the Hemi to below the v6 price. No such discount on the diesel. That was several several thousand dollars. Unique situation born out if inventory vs incessant snowstorms causing low sales volume...

2.) damned diesel fuel is sooooo much higher than gas in New England most of the time since the oil companies like to screw us all during heating season. Still 40c more per gallon at the station up the street for diesel over gas today. I understand this is not the case elsewhere.

3.) the dealers around here only had black and grey/silver diesels at the time and I wanted red.

I figure someday, the cost of gas/diesel might flip flop and then I'd wish for the diesel and regret my decision. Both models are fine machines so it's a dollars and cents question only really.
esimp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2014, 08:16 AM   #20
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZheWiz View Post
Don't want to turn this into another diesel vs V6 vs Hemi thread, but try out the three engines and put away your calculator until AFTER you've done so. Only after you've experienced the differences between the engines can you make a sensible judgement as to whether one of the optional engines is worth it to you or not.
Good advice.
Unread 06-06-2014, 03:01 PM   #21
overland_HO
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Good advice.
Agreed.
Unread 06-07-2014, 03:40 PM   #22
FreakyK
2014 WK 

It is pretty much as ZheWiz said, at the end of the day it is what you need and want. when I bought my diesel I wanted the diesel, could have gotten the v6 as it would have covered what I need. I grew up and learned to drive on an Isuzu 3.0l diesel and wanted a diesel for myself. When I moved to Canada I was dissapointed due to the lack of small diesel options available, and that the options available was not what I wanted, as the trim options available here was what is on lower versions what you get in South Africa. Test drive all, and decide what you want and need. All will have some advantages over the next, and their own problems. The problems that I had with mine could happen to any one of them, due to none was related to the engine directly.
FreakyK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2014, 07:24 PM   #23
97HMCS
2012 WK 

Quote:
Hemi is tried and true. Diesel, well they have issues. Seems like a lot of issues to the point they're stuck at dealerships so you will get really good MPG in rentals.
Can you provide any facts to support your statement?
97HMCS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2014, 08:26 PM   #24
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97HMCS
Can you provide any facts to support your statement?
Sure, look at how long the Hemi has been in use and applications.

Some issues with the Ecodiesel

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...begun-2462633/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...esels-2361769/
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2014, 09:50 PM   #25
bpbpimajeep14

I would say go with the diesel. I love ours. It gets great mileage and once the warranty runs out I'm sure there will be a tuner to ad hp and torque and also mileage for much less than the bolt ons required on a hemi to achieve the same result.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
bpbpimajeep14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2014, 07:14 AM   #26
97HMCS
2012 WK 

Quote:
Sure, look at how long the Hemi has been in use and applications.

Some issues with the Ecodiesel

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...begun-2462633/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...esels-2361769/
Are you serious. That's all you could come up with. I was looking for facts concerning the reliability of the vm motori.

I do agree the hemi is tired and true.
Unread 06-08-2014, 07:17 AM   #27
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97HMCS View Post
I was looking for facts concerning the reliability of the vm motori.

The VM Motori has been in exported WK2s for three maybe four years now. Perhaps a European or Australian review site would have more long term reliability info for you.
Unread 06-08-2014, 11:36 AM   #28
bpbpimajeep14

I have almost 20km on our ecodiesel and have not had any problems. We bought it in December and even in the severe cold we had it started right up. Even forgot to plug it in a time or two and it still started. I own all diesel vehicles and don't really see the downside as some would say. If you live where there are no diesel pumps you must live under a mushroom. Maintenance is a little more but not huge if you compare apples to apples. Some people will say the oil changes are more expensive but if you run the same synthetic oil in the hemi it's not much different in price. I live in the country and do a lot of highway and it gets way better mileage than any hemi could ever hope for and I'm not talking about driving it like a total grandpa. I like to feel the 400ft-lbs of torque all the time. It still averages around 9-10L/100km. Drive your hemi hard and you will be lucky to hit 15L/100km. I had a 2012 hemi ram that I traded in on the jeep and it was always around 14-16L/100km. Even if you drive it nice it was still a guzzler. Loved the power hated the mileage.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
bpbpimajeep14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2014, 01:12 PM   #29
n5mpllc

Yesterday I drove my GC diesel straight through from Beaufort SC to Indianapolis running 80 to 85+ mph. The 753 mile trip took me 10.5 hours with 2 short pit stops and I averaged 27.9 mpg. I have noticed the summer fuel gives me about 2+ mpg over the winter blend. Interestingly diesel is now cheaper than regular unleaded here in Indy. I just filled up for 372.9 vs 395.9 for unleaded. A hemi running that hard would be lucky to get 18 mpg.
Compare the savings running those numbers.
n5mpllc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #30
97HMCS
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
The VM Motori has been in exported WK2s for three maybe four years now. Perhaps a European or Australian review site would have more long term reliability info for you.
Thanks, ColdCase. I have the ecodiesel in my Ram and I'm quite pleased with it.

I was just disputing 10Xk's statement concerning the diesel (although he couldn't provide any facts to backup his statement).

" Originally Posted by 10Xk View Post
Hemi is tried and true. Diesel, well they have issues. Seems like a lot of issues to the point they're stuck at dealerships so you will get really good MPG in rentals."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.