Diesel vs V8- High cruising speed limits? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Diesel vs V8- High cruising speed limits?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-04-2014, 03:52 PM   #1
brainfreeze

Diesel vs V8- High cruising speed limits?

Looking at purchasing a new Overland soon. In Texas, we have some 85mph speed limit highways. Leaning toward the Diesel. My question is will the Diesel cruise at higher speeds as well as the V8 hemi? +85mph for hours.

Also, any V8 Hemi guys that wished they got the Diesel or visa versa?

brainfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2014, 04:16 PM   #2
rk1538
2014 WK 

cruising mine on 110 mph. feels nice.
rk1538 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2014, 05:33 PM   #3
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The diesel will run all day at 75-85mph with no issues. It will also pull down 25mpg plus at those speeds which is something the hemi can't do.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2014, 08:44 PM   #4
LibGrandCher
2012 WK 

V8 feels like you are sitting on a missile at 75 MPH.

The feedback in the cabin from the drive-train always puts a smile on my face.
Even passengers in the backseat comment on the sensation.
LibGrandCher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2014, 09:51 PM   #5
bpbpimajeep14

I have not driven a hemi powered jeep but I have a diesel and it is so quiet at 75 all you hear is the wind and even that us pretty quiet. It also gets close to 30mpg at 75mph.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
bpbpimajeep14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2014, 10:08 PM   #6
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

They both cruise very nicely all day at 75-85. No work with cruise control. In fact the gas V6 will cruise nicely all day at 75-85. When manually controlled, it takes more work to maintain a V8's constant speed, where the tourque of a diesel smooths things out... Almost no need for cruise control. The difference is subjective and you need to test drive for yourself..

Otherwise the V8 will react quicker to the right foot, the diesel mileage will allow you to go much farther between stops. Pick your poison you should be happy with either as neither is a slouch.
Unread 06-05-2014, 07:00 AM   #7
brainfreeze

Thanks!
brainfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2014, 11:07 AM   #8
Barry45RPM

So what is the drawback to a Diesel vs the Hemi (besides the initial cost)?
Barry45RPM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2014, 11:38 AM   #9
chowner
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
They both cruise very nicely all day at 75-85. No work with cruise control. In fact the gas V6 will cruise nicely all day at 75-85. When manually controlled, it takes more work to maintain a V8's constant speed, where the tourque of a diesel smooths things out... Almost no need for cruise control. The difference is subjective and you need to test drive for yourself..

Otherwise the V8 will react quicker to the right foot, the diesel mileage will allow you to go much farther between stops. Pick your poison you should be happy with either as neither is a slouch.
Cruise works fine at 80-85 with v6

I would think unless you are towing and are going to constantly drive at those speeds the v6 is the better option. Just my 2 cents.
chowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2014, 12:41 PM   #10
fun2drive

Drawback might be that you need to fill the DEF tank (8.5 gals) every 10K miles in normal driving. I have added only 2 gallons of DEF in over 4000 miles so if you drive highways you will not have to fill up much. The oil spec'ed for the diesel has only two approved choices a Mobil and Pennzoil product and it isn't cheap nor is the filter. 7 quarts at around 8-9 bucks a quart and filters between 30-40 bucks will run you around 100 if you do it yourself and the dealer charges a little more. Changes are every 10K or when EVIC tells you to change it.

Also you need diesel fuel which not all gas stations have but more are getting diesel pumps because of more diesels entering the market.

I get fantastic mileage on mine and have found the diesel Overland to be one of the best vehicles I have ever owned...
fun2drive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2014, 01:12 PM   #11
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM View Post
So what is the drawback to a Diesel vs the Hemi (besides the initial cost)?
There are quite a few threads on this subject. There are a lot of subjective and anecdotal opinions. They are both good vehicles. You should buy the one that fits your needs best. There is a sticky above that contains links to information.

The diesel will feel torquier, the V8 more responsive, but there is not much difference or a significant difference, depending on your point of view. If there are no issues, their cost of maintenance is in the same ball park. The diesel may be much more expensive to fix if anything should break... and you can easily destroy them by using the wrong/bad fuel or poor filters. But, on the other hand, they use much less fuel. Pick your poison.

Just about any shop can fix a V8, the diesel you are probably limited to a dealer until this engine gets more widespread. If you are going off road, there are quite a few more vulnerable hoses and wires hanging under a diesel vehicle than a gas model.

Outside of North America the diesel makes a lot of sense economically.
Unread 06-05-2014, 01:27 PM   #12
LibGrandCher
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
Drawback might be that you need to fill the DEF tank (8.5 gals) every 10K miles in normal driving. I have added only 2 gallons of DEF in over 4000 miles so if you drive highways you will not have to fill up much. The oil spec'ed for the diesel has only two approved choices a Mobil and Pennzoil product and it isn't cheap nor is the filter. 7 quarts at around 8-9 bucks a quart and filters between 30-40 bucks will run you around 100 if you do it yourself and the dealer charges a little more. Changes are every 10K or when EVIC tells you to change it.

Also you need diesel fuel which not all gas stations have but more are getting diesel pumps because of more diesels entering the market.

I get fantastic mileage on mine and have found the diesel Overland to be one of the best vehicles I have ever owned...
Great information.
Thanks.

Up here we pay a heavy premium for diesel fuel.
LibGrandCher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2014, 02:46 PM   #13
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Hemi is tried and true. Diesel, well they have issues. Seems like a lot of issues to the point they're stuck at dealerships so you will get really good MPG in rentals.
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2014, 03:31 PM   #14
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

Price of diesel

Will go up during the home heating season depending on where you live and drop in the summer. Thats usually and minus the effect global geo political events.

Unlike the EU and UK diesel isn't subsidized through tax policy.

You have to work the numbers and see if a diesel makes sense for you over a V6 or V8.

I remember when VW introduced the diesel Rabbit. Not a bad vehicle back then. Kind of slow but it attracted an interesting group of mostly male drivers who at 40 plus still lived in their mom's basement. My 78 Rabbit with its Oettinger 16v conversion and 170+ hp for 1.6 liters used to freak them out.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2014, 06:15 PM   #15
rk1538
2014 WK 

do an test drive, Concern your dealer, and test it a weekend
rk1538 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.