Diesel Oil Change DIY - A Few Lessons Learned - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Diesel Oil Change DIY - A Few Lessons Learned

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 11-29-2014, 07:49 PM   #1
pwrdbym

Diesel Oil Change DIY - A Few Lessons Learned

I just wanted to pass on a few lessons learned on my first oil change for the diesel. I'm not detailing a step by step oil change, just those "gotchas" specific to the diesel.

I purchased the Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5w-30 as detailed in the manual. You can get a 6 pack of it on Amazon for $7.93 per quart. For the first change you'll have to buy two unless you want to pay the $11.92 per quart for the individual. Once you have the extras you will only need to buy one case for the next change.
I bought the filter on ebay for $39.95 shipped. This was the cheapest I could find it. That puts the DIY oil change at $103. I think this is about as cheap as you can do it give or take a few bucks.

I was able to crawl under the Jeep with the suspension in the Off-Road 2 setting. It isn't a ton of room, but enough. I also placed some jack stands under the front for safety. It isn't supposed to drop, but if you want to trust your skull to a Jeep computer go ahead.
The drain plug underneath is easy to access as there is a cut-out in the under-tray. Use a 13mm socket to loosen and drain the oil.
Be sure to clean the gasket on the drain plug, mine had some gunk on it:

Once under the hood you'll need to remove some engine parts to get to the filter.
Remove the engine cover by pulling straight up on it:

Then loosen the hose clamp on the intake by the cowl area and unclip the airbox clamps. You can then swing the airbox up and out of the way. I left it attached since the MAF wire has a troublesome little plastic clip on it.

There is a vacuum hose also running directly over the top of the oil filter. You can unclip it by squeezing the connector top and bottom and disconnect it. Then swing it up and out of the way. Connection is at the tip of my screwdriver below:

Use an oil filter socket (or a 1-1/16in socket fit fine) to remove the oil filter canister cap. You will tilt it to the side just a bit and hear the vacuum pressure release. Have a plastic bag handy to drop it into so oil doesn't drip everywhere.

Now here is the biggest lesson I wanted to pass on. There will be a few ounces of oil left in the filter canister. If you drop the new filter and cap back on it is going to overflow as it pushes down. This would have been a huge mess. I used a 60cc syringe to remove the remaining oil.

You will have to pull on the actual filter pretty hard to get it out of the cap. The base of it snaps in. When you put the new one in, be sure it clicks into place. Make sure your new filter comes with a new o-ring (this could be an issue once aftermarket companies start producing them. The Mopar comes with one). Remove the old one from the cap, lubricate the new one with oil and replace. Lubricate the small o-ring on the end of the filter as well.

The new filter and o-ring as it comes out of the box:

Do not over tighten the filter cap since it is plastic. It only takes 25nm.

When I refill an engine with oil I always put in one less unit than the capacity. In this case the capacity is 8 quarts, so I put in 7. I then run the engine at idle for a few minutes to circulate the oil. I shut down and allow the oil to flow down. After a few minutes I will slowly add the last quart of oil checking the dipstick after every 1/4 quart (you'll have to wait a few minutes for the oil to flow down). This is important so you don't overfill, and it was evident with this engine since I only added 7.5 quarts of new oil. Had I just dumped in the whole 8 I would be over capacity. It only takes a few extra minutes to do correctly.

Good Luck.

pwrdbym is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2014, 10:01 AM   #2
MickinNY
2013 WK 

How much does the dealer charge to do this?
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2014, 10:14 AM   #3
thebishman

Great review. Thanks for the additional info.
thebishman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2014, 03:56 PM   #4
Morax
One Life. Live it!

2014 WK 

Yes, thanks for the info!
Unread 12-01-2014, 09:03 AM   #5
hemispin
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickinNY View Post
Most dealers are independently owned and do not follow any sort of consistent price schedule. To get the most accurate answer, call the dealer that you wish to perform the work, and get a quote.
hemispin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2014, 11:31 AM   #6
bpbpimajeep14

Let me just say that I will be doing my own after getting the dealer to do it. It was almost 250$.
bpbpimajeep14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2014, 12:14 PM   #7
hemispin
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpbpimajeep14 View Post
Let me just say that I will be doing my own after getting the dealer to do it. It was almost 250$.
Geez, that's just stupid expensive. My buddy had a Mercedes S600 with a V12, and it was $100 for the dealer to do a synthetic oil change. I can't imagine why it costs so much for the diesel Jeep.
hemispin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2014, 07:18 PM   #8
JeepMattGA
2014 WK 

I have the Diesel in my 14' JGC, and took it in for an oil change about a week ago at the local dealer in the Northern burbs of Atlanta. I didn't pay anything for it (the first few are free), but the price sheet for oil changes said $115.00 for oil change and 21 point inspection for Grand Cherokee Diesels. I saw them headed from the parts dept to my Jeep with a box of the correct oil (they didn't use bulk oil). They forgot to reset the oil change indicator, but everything else was ok.
If you have someone else other than the dealer do the oil change, Fiat Chrysler is VERY specific about the oil to be used in the 3.0L V6. It's either the Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5W30 or Mobil 1 5W30 (a specific one but I don't recall it off the top of my head). If you use the wrong one, you're f'd.
JeepMattGA is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2014, 01:12 PM   #9
kkreit01

That doesn't look fun. How often are these changes? I also don't agree with the 2nd guessing on the "amount" to put in. If the manual states 8 qts, use 8 qts. Your filling procedure is way too tedious, and there's no point. I've owned >25 vehicles, have always followed the manual, and have never had issues of over/under filling.
kkreit01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2014, 01:19 PM   #10
NDSU_Bison
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickinNY View Post
Our closest dealer charges $189.
NDSU_Bison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #11
pwrdbym

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkreit01 View Post
That doesn't look fun. How often are these changes? I also don't agree with the 2nd guessing on the "amount" to put in. If the manual states 8 qts, use 8 qts. Your filling procedure is way too tedious, and there's no point. I've owned >25 vehicles, have always followed the manual, and have never had issues of over/under filling.

It's pretty clear that if I've dumped in 7.5qts and the dipstick shows the oil to be at the full mark then adding another .5qts will mean it's overfull.
If people don't want to take the time then that is up to them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Unread 12-03-2014, 12:21 PM   #12
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDSU_Bison View Post
Our closest dealer charges $189.
Thanks.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2014, 12:59 PM   #13
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemispin View Post
Most dealers are independently owned and do not follow any sort of consistent price schedule. To get the most accurate answer, call the dealer that you wish to perform the work, and get a quote.
I actually bought a certified MOPAR maintenance plan specifically for my Ecodiesel along with my extended warranty. On my 08 CRD, I did all my own work but for the price I was able to negotiate on the plan, it was not worth me doing my own work.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2015, 02:00 PM   #14
pwrdbym

Can we copy this link in the diesel sticky?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Unread 01-02-2015, 03:27 PM   #15
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrdbym View Post
Can we copy this link in the diesel sticky?
We added a reference in the maintenance sticky awhile ago.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...e-ups-1325215/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.