To Diesel or not to Diesel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > To Diesel or not to Diesel

UCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!Halloween Savings to die for!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 04-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
diver110
2009 WK 

To Diesel or not to Diesel

So right now I have a 2009 Overland with the hemi. Do a moderate amount offroad. I drive maybe 20,000 miles per year. Everyday driving I get around 15 mpg, pure freeway 18-20. I have been thinking about turning my existing Overland into primarily an offroad vehicle and maybe buying a 6 cyl Overland WKII for everyday driving and better mpg (the Overland seats work well with my bad back, I am not normally this extravagant). But then there is the new diesel which could be the best of both worlds. Two worries. Its new and I have my doubts that most Jeep dealers will keep competent diesel mechanics on staff. Any thoughts?

Unread 04-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

Test Drive One

Most Jeep dealers are also Ram dealers so they should ahve a competent diesel tech.

The diesel weighs 400+lbs more than non diesel version. I cant remember if this is the V6 or V8. So I would drive one to see if first you like the diesel and second if you like the handling and braking with the extra weight especially over the front end. My 2012 GC V6 with ORAI package is reasonably balanced and is not heavy. It doesnt push ie understeer too much when hustleed down back roads.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
diver110
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti View Post
Most Jeep dealers are also Ram dealers so they should ahve a competent diesel tech.

The diesel weighs 400+lbs more than non diesel version. I cant remember if this is the V6 or V8. So I would drive one to see if first you like the diesel and second if you like the handling and braking with the extra weight especially over the front end. My 2012 GC V6 with ORAI package is reasonably balanced and is not heavy. It doesnt push ie understeer too much when hustleed down back roads.
The reviews I read are not complaining about this, but your point is nonetheless a good one. The other issue is wether I want to risk being the first to buy a new model.
Unread 04-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
pwrdbym

Dealerships in my area have indicated that there is a high demand for the diesel. You know the published price increase of the diesel over gas engines, however what is unknown is the amount of money you'll actually have to spend to get one over the V8. Dealers in my area have leftover 2013's marked at 6-7k off MSRP. So without dealer discounts the expense goes up. No one can predict whether diesels will be discounted, but judging from demand and the fact that BMW, Mercedes, and VW typically exclude diesel models from incentives, you could expect Jeep to do the same.
The point in all of this is if you are trying to make a purely finance decision the diesel is a tough sell. Now if you just want one, then go forth!!
pwrdbym is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
diver110
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrdbym View Post
Dealerships in my area have indicated that there is a high demand for the diesel. You know the published price increase of the diesel over gas engines, however what is unknown is the amount of money you'll actually have to spend to get one over the V8. Dealers in my area have leftover 2013's marked at 6-7k off MSRP. So without dealer discounts the expense goes up. No one can predict whether diesels will be discounted, but judging from demand and the fact that BMW, Mercedes, and VW typically exclude diesel models from incentives, you could expect Jeep to do the same.
The point in all of this is if you are trying to make a purely finance decision the diesel is a tough sell. Now if you just want one, then go forth!!
Another good point. If they are discounting the hemi but not the diesel, the numbers may not add up.
Unread 04-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
ferntree

2014 WK 

According to http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/spec...rand-2014.html these are the curb weights of the 4WD versions:
In order of V6 V8 V6 diesel

Limited: 4875 5135 5275
Overland: 4984 5250 5393
Summit: 4955 5219 5374

The new diesel is a superb bit of engineering, and will make a ton of torque, especially when one of the diesel chip plug in boxes is added (available in Europe, Australia etc.) Banks engineering in the USA is also doing a lot of development work on the engine and has a stack of info and photos on their site as well. Forget everything you have heard about diesels from the past - the new generation engines which Europe (and here in Australia) have been enjoying for years are going to surprise a lot of people.

Officer, these handcuffs are tight!
Just relax, they're new. They'll stretch after you wear them a while....
ferntree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 06:11 AM   #7
JeepJeep2012
2012 WK 

I don't think the diesel is a Cummins. I think it is some Italian production. If so I would not go that route. If it is a Cummins you will be fine.
JeepJeep2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 06:21 AM   #8
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

Just think

[QUOTE=ferntree;15283455]According to http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/spec...rand-2014.html these are the curb weights of the 4WD versions:
In order of V6 V8 V6 diesel

Limited: 4875 5135 5275
Overland: 4984 5250 5393
Summit: 4955 5219 5374

If Chrysler had a modern V8 it would shed some unwanted pounds. The 2013 Range Rover dropped over 700+lbs for the US version compared to 2012
and for the UK and EU version it was over 900lbs. And Range Rover started with an aluminum block V8.

Driving a diesel is something you have to test drive. I have driven 3 series BMW gas and diesel back to back with roughly the same options and prefer
the I6 turbo gas engine to the its diesel counterpart. Now in Chevy 2500 I prefer the diesel. In a Golf I dont want anything turbo but a nice high strung high output normally aspirated gas engine. I hate driving diesel Golfs and Jettas. I Actually I would prefer a VW Polo withe a high strung normally aspirated engine. Shame VW doesnt sell the Polo here.

Will be interesting to see in US if the urea is a DIY fill or dealer only with a computer reset in 2014 GC.
Unread 04-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #9
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

The CRD engine for the JGC is a proven platform from Italy...it's not something newly designed. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a JGC with that engine.
Unread 04-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #10
LMI500
2012 WK 

I would jump on a diesel if it was offered in a lower end model(Laredo). The cost/price point right now is too much. Maybe this will change in the future if there is high demand and that demand remains high, and the engine has a trouble free launch.
LMI500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #11
diver110
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_in_PA View Post
The CRD engine for the JGC is a proven platform from Italy...it's not something newly designed. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a JGC with that engine.
Is it a different diesel than the one that was discontinued? I understand the latter had lots of issues.
Unread 04-12-2013, 08:58 AM   #12
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

Proven Platform from Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_in_PA View Post
Accept for some recent Ferraris has there ever been a proven platform from Italy? Fiats and Alfas still arent known for the reliability in the EU and the UK.
I would buy a Renault before I purchaseda Fiat.
Unread 04-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #13
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review
Unread 04-12-2013, 06:55 PM   #14
NDSU_Bison
2014 WK 

The 2014's have diesels from VM Motori (sp?) and the 07-08 models had Mercedes engines. An issue with the swirl valve was common and can be an expensive repair if it's out of warranty.

I don't think there have been any other common complaints. FWIW, I plan on replacing my 2008 CRD with a 2014 ecodiesel this year. Mileage is around 22 MPG compared to 12-14 with our V-8 Durango during the same commute.

My neighborhood Jeep dealer also sells Ram trucks and used to sell Sprinter vans that also have the Mercedes engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver110 View Post
Is it a different diesel than the one that was discontinued? I understand the latter had lots of issues.
NDSU_Bison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 07:04 AM   #15
diver110
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDSU_Bison View Post
The 2014's have diesels from VM Motori (sp?) and the 07-08 models had Mercedes engines. An issue with the swirl valve was common and can be an expensive repair if it's out of warranty.

I don't think there have been any other common complaints. FWIW, I plan on replacing my 2008 CRD with a 2014 ecodiesel this year. Mileage is around 22 MPG compared to 12-14 with our V-8 Durango during the same commute.

My neighborhood Jeep dealer also sells Ram trucks and used to sell Sprinter vans that also have the Mercedes engine.
Would it make a difference to you if ths a "tried and true" engine as opposed to a new one (I don't know whether it is, or isn't)?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.