Diesel exhaust system regeneration - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Diesel exhaust system regeneration

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!ExtremeTerrain.com Now Carries Raxiom Off-Road Technology RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 01-08-2014, 06:40 PM   #16
NC4stroker
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebluemcm View Post
I think I experienced some regen action today with no notification from the vehicle that it was happening. I had just filled up and was driving home, about 10 miles, on a road that has a 45mph limit and I normally get well into the 30mpgs on. It didn't want to do much better than the mid tewnties. After I shut if off in the garage I could hear that "ticking" sound you hear when a hot exhaust is cooling down and the thing definitely smelled hot. Seems like it definitely will try to take care of itself while you just happily drive along. I may have cut it off in the middle of a regen, so we'll see if there are any consequences from that.
You're correct. It was regening. No consequences, it'll take up where it left off.

Remember the EVIC will only alert if the DPF is getting stopped up.

NC4stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 07:03 AM   #17
diverb

I have nearly 1400 miles on mine, I've never seen any message yet, but I also drive 33 miles on the highway to work each day and very little stop and go. So far I LOVE this vehicle!
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW 6.7l Cummins - ARP head studs, H&S tune, 5" TBE DPF/EGR delete, GDP intake horn, S&B cold air intake, ATS trans pan, MagHytec dif covers, EDGE CTS turbo timer, FASS 95 lift pump
2012 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Limited, V&H pipes, V&H fuel pack, K&N air filter
1969 Dodge Charger R/T 440
diverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 09:22 AM   #18
TypeRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC4stroker View Post
You're correct. It was regening. No consequences, it'll take up where it left off.

Remember the EVIC will only alert if the DPF is getting stopped up.
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I thought I would just throw out my opinion on the re-gen process, I also posted in the re-gen thread in Jeep Garage. I am a new diesel enthusiast, right now I have a 2013 Passat TDI. And from what I have learned in my short time about regenerations is that you should avoid interrupting them just as you should avoid the black plague. lol. From what I understand, during a re-gen, the turbo is extremely hot just as is the DPF itself, and for you to just turn off your vehicle with the turbo at that temperature assuming 1000+ degrees F, there should be a concern of oil coking within the turbo, which is def. not good for the longevity of the turbo. And I understand a re-gen may occur at an inopportune time, like your late for work, the re-gen is still occurring once you arrive at work, but don't have time to wait for the car to finish its re-gen cycle and you need to turn off the vehicle. Hopefully these type of occurrences are minimal. But I feel a word of caution should be thrown out there, it is bad to turn off the vehicle during a re-gen, due to oil coking within the turbo. The vehicle should be left running to keep that oil and coolant running thru the engine and turbo especially. Just my .02 cents.

Last edited by TypeRod; 04-02-2014 at 09:34 AM..
TypeRod is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.