Diesel DEF fluid level on delivery - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Diesel DEF fluid level on delivery

Rubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at Oco

Unread 05-09-2014, 02:42 PM   #1
pwrdbym

Diesel DEF fluid level on delivery

I took delivery of my diesel about three weeks ago and it has only 650 miles thus far. I noticed my DEF level indicator in the EVIC is reading only 40% full. Shouldn't it be full? Other owners please chime in on your delivery levels before I make a phone call.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

pwrdbym is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2014, 02:58 PM   #2
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The dealer is supposed to fill the DEF tank for owner delivery.

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_2500613.pdf
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2014, 06:13 PM   #3
nwvalleyjock

Mine was delivered with roughly the same amount of DEF. Made the dealer fill it since the little brochure about the diesel engine that came with the car states in it that the vehicle is delivered with a full DEF tank. Took them 6 gallons and that didn't quite do it, but that's all they had on hand! After 3,000 miles I still have about 75% left. BTW - LOVE this engine!!!
nwvalleyjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2014, 08:22 PM   #4
dlthig
2014 WK 

100% from Benson Jeep in Greer, SC
dlthig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2014, 10:39 PM   #5
FreakyK
2014 WK 

Got mine at 100%. Also got 5 gallons extra in jugs due to they forgot to call me when my delivery detail was done. Got 2500km on it and it still says 100%.
FreakyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2014, 08:07 AM   #6
stevekcropper
2014 WK 

DEF tank half full on delivery

I was told this was the way it came, 1/2 full. I have since read on some Jeep literature that the tank comes full.
stevekcropper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2014, 09:03 AM   #7
womps
2014 WK 

Along with the manual I got a quick tips manual. It definitely says "your JGC is delivered with a full tank of d.e.f.". My Jeep was only 1/2 full at delivery. Dealer said that is how they come. I showed him the quick tips manual so he filled it up and gave me 10 liters to take home with me as well.
womps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2014, 09:45 AM   #8
fun2drive

Mine was full at delivery.
Walmart has it for 12 bucks or so for 2 1/2 gal and also Home Depot has it for 11.97 same jug. I added 2 gals yesterday and discovered the spout that comes with the diesel is worthless. The spout that came in the jug worked just fine.

Be sure to NOT store this stuff which is nothing more than diluted acetic acid and pure water anyplace hot. It will evaporate and will kill your shelf life.
Big truck stops sell this at a fill up nozzle for less but there aren't any places like that where I live...
fun2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2014, 10:11 AM   #9
stevekcropper
2014 WK 

I went backto my dealer yesterday and questioned the half full deal. Coming from the sales dept. (Maybe I should talk to service?) Their line is that Jeep sends them out 1/2 full and that they have to run down before filling to full for some technical reason to do with emissions ? Sounds like BS but can anybody shed light on this, why woild the factory only send them 1/2 full?
Unread 05-11-2014, 10:25 AM   #10
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekcropper View Post
I went backto my dealer yesterday and questioned the half full deal. Coming from the sales dept. (Maybe I should talk to service?) Their line is that Jeep sends them out 1/2 full and that they have to run down before filling to full for some technical reason to do with emissions ? Sounds like BS but can anybody shed light on this, why woild the factory only send them 1/2 full?
Read the TSB in the link I provided at the top of this thread. Print it out and bing it to the dealer if you have to. It specifies why they are shipped with a partial fill and that they are supposed to fill it as part of customer delivery. It is also very clear they are to use new DEF and that it will desolve any crystallization from the factory fill. It also is very clear that the dealer will be reimbursed. It's not rocket science.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2014, 12:07 PM   #11
henrysko
2011 WK 

It's just silly that a dealer would even shuffle around over this problem.
Unread 05-11-2014, 02:41 PM   #12
stevekcropper
2014 WK 

thanks

Robert, thanks - after I posted last time I saw and read the link in your earlier post. It is what I thought, salesmans BS, and maybe ignorance.
Unread 05-12-2014, 09:08 AM   #13
pwrdbym

Thanks for the replies. I contacted my dealer about my DEF level and they agreed to top it off at no charge the next time I'm in. My GC was a dealer trade and I picked it up the same day it came in so I can't really blame them for not checking it, no reason they should.
I purchased some Peak brand DEF off Amazon to have on hand. I have a fridge in my garage that only holds beer, so I think I may store my DEF in there to help the shelf life.

pwrdbym is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2014, 01:50 PM   #14
NDSU_Bison
2014 WK 

Mine was purchased through the AAA auto broker and the dealer is about 25 miles away. By the time received the warning the DEF was low at about 1,000 miles I decided just to fill it myself instead of taking the time to visit the dealer and convince them to fill the DEF tank for me.
NDSU_Bison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2014, 01:58 PM   #15
Will-X
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrdbym View Post
My GC was a dealer trade and I picked it up the same day it came in so I can't really blame them for not checking it, no reason they should.

You certainly can... It is not to be filled in the PDI, it is supposed to be filled right before delivery.
Will-X is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.