Did I make a mistake? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Did I make a mistake?

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 03-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #16
BobsWK2
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkreit01 View Post
You made the right choice. It will ride better, better MPG, wheels are much lighter - and thus a tad quicker, tires will be less expensive, etc. There are many benefits of the 18s vs. 20s, and all are practical. The benefits of 20s over 18s are "looks", and handling (but who autocrosses their WK2?).
I just checked tirerack and the stock 18" Michelins cost at least $200 more a set compared to the stock 20" Goodyears.

BobsWK2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 06:03 PM   #17
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Try Discount Tire. I have never seen Tire Rack cheaper on anything I have researched. DT will also give a credit if you trade in tires but it is better just to sell them on your own.

Also, Michelins tend to be more $ than GY. Hard to compare when you are doing it between brands.

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #18
WeBeCinYa

I took my factory 245/75/17's to Discount Tire, they gave me $320. I thought that was decent considering I didn't want to bother with craigslist strays and be low balled. IMO if you are going to have 20's put the plus size on. There are more options for better quality tires in the plus sizes. My tire is equivalent to a 32" tire being a 275/55/20. Take those low profiles off!
p3033621.jpg  
Unread 03-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #19
LibGrandCher
2012 WK 

You didn't make a mistake at all.
I live in the Toronto area as well. Go to Durham you can find lots of Government trails 30 minutes east of Toronto. Trailing is really huge in Durham.
I'm still in the 'prissy" stage with GC(Limited) not sure if I want to take it off road yet. I have 20s and have no real issues with them. Chrysler really nailed it with the rim design , they really compliment the JGC.

I think being in the Toronto area we just need a nice set of snows for our Canadian winters.The good thing about snows is that they are also rated for mud in the event you want to hit the trails.
LibGrandCher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 11:54 PM   #20
cobrien
2012 WK 

Thanks for all the great replies! This forum is awesome. And you Toronto guys I will definitely give a shout once I get the rig, I'd love to take it off road one weekend
cobrien is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 11:58 PM   #21
cobrien
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigM-740 View Post
I wanted the ORA but I had to wait 60 days to get one so I just went with the regular version (20s) and it was the only one left on the lot. You're right, we barely have trails in the GTA but the trail rated badge still pokes at me whenever I think of the trips I'm taking to the muskoka area

I'm taking off my 20s in the summer so drop me a line if you're still itching for them by then. Which dealer did you buy your GC from ? i'm guessing downsview...?
Will definitely consider it! Thanks Funny enough I am getting through my leasing rep and they are ordering directly from Jeep or at least that's what they are telling me.
cobrien is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2012, 05:03 AM   #22
Jdsmitty10

Good suggestion on getting a snow set. Even know I ordered te 20's. I may buy a snow wheel and tire package just to keep the 20's chip free from our harsh winters in pa.(not too harsh this year tho). My inlaws did that with their highlander they run te stock 19's in summer and a set of 17's in the winter. Works out nice
Jdsmitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2012, 05:15 AM   #23
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkreit01 View Post
You made the right choice. It will ride better, better MPG, wheels are much lighter - and thus a tad quicker, tires will be less expensive, etc. There are many benefits of the 18s vs. 20s, and all are practical. The benefits of 20s over 18s are "looks", and handling (but who autocrosses their WK2?).
Is not just autocrossing, its simply driving down the highway.

20 inch wheels may be just a bit heavier, but 18 tires are a lot heavier. 20 inch wheels and tires end up lighter, less unsprung weight, more stable. But you can rationalize if you want.

I have both in stock sizes and when I'm doing a lot of highway traveling I can't wait to switch out the 18s out for the 20s, they are just so much better on the highways and byways. When I'm on the trail or curb hopping in town, I ride with much less anxiety on the 18s.
ColdCase is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.