Did I make a mistake? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Did I make a mistake?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 03-09-2012, 06:27 AM   #1
cobrien
2012 WK 

Did I make a mistake?

Man I feel pretty dumb, hoping I made the right choice. I ordered a 2012 Overland and ended up getting the Off Road Adventure which obviously takes the wheels down to 18".

I don't know I feel I ended up ripping myself off as the Overland price includes the 20"s. I wanted the ORA just so it would be Trail Rated for future adventures but to be honest I am no off-roader in fact in the Toronto area trails are pretty much non existent.

I thought the 18's will provide a smoother ride and be better in the snow etc. But realized I could of added the ORA later and had a really nice set of 20s for summer. I have read the threads which has pros and cons of ORA and 18 vs 20 but would love a few words of encouragement to help me realize the blunder is not as bad as I am thinking! Thanks

Also with the ORA if I want to upgrade the exhaust to a Magnaflow or Flowmaster 44 can I do with the skids or did the ORA decision backfire again (no pun intended) : )

cobrien is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 07:21 AM   #2
superserialMBP
2012 WK 

The 20s look better, but the 18s give a softer ride overall (on pavement and off-road). If you really want the 20s for your summer wheels, look on craigslist/eBay because some people that bought GCs with the 20s took them off to put custom wheels with over-sized tires on.
Unread 03-09-2012, 07:31 AM   #3
cobrien
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superserialMBP View Post
The 20s look better, but the 18s give a softer ride overall (on pavement and off-road). If you really want the 20s for your summer wheels, look on craigslist/eBay because some people that bought GCs with the 20s took them off to put custom wheels with over-sized tires on.
Thanks that's good idea!
cobrien is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 07:55 AM   #4
rockit
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrien View Post
Man I feel pretty dumb, hoping I made the right choice. I ordered a 2012 Overland and ended up getting the Off Road Adventure which obviously takes the wheels down to 18".

I don't know I feel I ended up ripping myself off as the Overland price includes the 20"s. I wanted the ORA just so it would be Trail Rated for future adventures but to be honest I am no off-roader in fact in the Toronto area trails are pretty much non existent.

I thought the 18's will provide a smoother ride and be better in the snow etc. But realized I could of added the ORA later and had a really nice set of 20s for summer. I have read the threads which has pros and cons of ORA and 18 vs 20 but would love a few words of encouragement to help me realize the blunder is not as bad as I am thinking! Thanks

Also with the ORA if I want to upgrade the exhaust to a Magnaflow or Flowmaster 44 can I do with the skids or did the ORA decision backfire again (no pun intended) : )
No Mistake good choice ORAP 18''s ride better in snow and regular driving than 20''s. Don't know about exhaust mods.
rockit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 08:09 AM   #5
Jdsmitty10

As someone who ordered a limited with 20's I feel you made a mistake. But is all personal preference. I don't like the gc's unless they are rockin the nice 5 spoke 20's. All personal choice tho. I will never offroad with mine.
Jdsmitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #6
Nonaspirin
2012 WK 

ORA2 with V8 gets the rear ELSD which is worth every penny in my opinion
Nonaspirin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
kkreit01

You made the right choice. It will ride better, better MPG, wheels are much lighter - and thus a tad quicker, tires will be less expensive, etc. There are many benefits of the 18s vs. 20s, and all are practical. The benefits of 20s over 18s are "looks", and handling (but who autocrosses their WK2?).
kkreit01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #8
scottfehr
2012 WK 

I don't think there's a right or wrong, just personal preference on wheel size. I got the ORA2 pckg only because the color combo we wanted had it. I was bummed about losing the 20"s but honestly the polished 18's look great and it's oddly comforting to know my rig can even do more of the 4x4'ing that I'll never do.
scottfehr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #9
Syndicate
2012 WK 

I was in your boat when purchasing the vehicle....I'm so glad I got the ORA2 instead of the regular Overland. You can always purchase some aftermarket wheels down the road, which may even look better to you.
Syndicate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 12:20 PM   #10
WeBeCinYa

Just slap some 275/55/20 tires on your 20's. I did that on mine and it rides great. Did lose a few mpg but more tire and keeping the 20 look is the best deal.
Unread 03-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #11
mistadobalina
2012 WK 

18s with Michelin tires > 20s with Goodyears

Seems some with 20s have issues with vibrations too.
Tow Group
mistadobalina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #12
MAXGroup
2012 WK 

Just got the overland with Off Road Package and I love it!
18 beats 20 on an SUV any time!!! And the Michlens are great on and off road.
Who needs a low profile tire that will get pinched and a side wall bubble forms getting into your street?
On a Jeep?
My other car is a Maserati gran turismo - got 325/35 Pirelli P0 on it, they last 5000 miles and are $700 a pop, a bit on the silly side even for a Maserati .......
MAXGroup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #13
BigM-740
2011 WK 

I wanted the ORA but I had to wait 60 days to get one so I just went with the regular version (20s) and it was the only one left on the lot. You're right, we barely have trails in the GTA but the trail rated badge still pokes at me whenever I think of the trips I'm taking to the muskoka area

I'm taking off my 20s in the summer so drop me a line if you're still itching for them by then. Which dealer did you buy your GC from ? i'm guessing downsview...?
BigM-740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #14
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

IMO, 17s and 18s look the best. 20s look silly on an "offroad" vehicle or at least one that is offroad in appearance and has 4x4 such as yours. If you really want them, buy a set from someone else. Saves money and gas and better ride with 18s

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #15
JeepGuy026
2011 WK 

I had the 20's they look great on my jeep and I do off-road once in awhile but I love the 20's just put some Bridgestone Duelers AT Revos on them and I'm in buisness!

Leather, Nav, 4x4 Package, Khaki Interior
JeepGuy026 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.