DEF Injector Vulnerablility - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > DEF Injector Vulnerablility

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-11-2014, 04:15 PM   #1
fun2drive

DEF Injector Vulnerablility

Fellow JGC diesel drivers. I am on this forum and the other forum as well. The DEF injector has caused issues by being broken off simply by going on mild trails or even unpaved roads. This is a real vulnerability for our rides and will stop you pretty fast if that injector breaks off. Once all the DEF leaks out you get a warning which can eventually shut your ride down.

I hope Jeep addresses this in the 2015 model but since I don't think they will and retrofit the solution back to the 2014 models some of us have been working on ideas for a protection panel.

The other forum has developed a prototype protection panel which should keep the DEF injector and wiring harness from being compromised.

I will not mention the name of the other forum to abide by protocol rules but if you google DEF Injector Vulnerability you should find that thread.

Does anyone on our forum know of a member of members working on a DEF injector and wiring harness protection panel?

I don't know how Jeep can give the diesel an off road rating given where this injector and wiring harness lives. Any small branch or road pitched up can snap this plastic injector off.

Hope this helps diesel drivers not aware of this problem. Be sure to check your ride over and decide if you can go off road where you wish after seeing the injector location...

fun2drive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2014, 04:27 PM   #2
jaje
2007 WK 

Mine was damaged and I never even went off road - just happened when driving through some puddles (that's how I think mine broke).
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2014, 09:31 AM   #3
fun2drive

I am concerned that road debris could easily break this off. The other forum has a group buy started for a cover to protect the wiring and the injector. I am signed up to buy one. I can't wait on Jeep to correct things...
Unread 05-13-2014, 02:48 PM   #4
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Well you know that they are not trail rated! If you can't drive down a road with breaking it what good is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive
I can't wait on Jeep to correct things...
Good luck with that! People still have 4wd low problems ever since the N23 recall.

How much does that repair run since it shouldn't be covered under warranty?
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2014, 03:33 PM   #5
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Yeah that N23 recall fix (inadvertent neutral, affects only vehicles with the transfer case used through 2010) may have uncovered a previously undetected electrical issue in some vehicles, which has complicated maters. In other words, there seems to be an electrical gremlin that, because of the way the controller software was written, didn't matter. It seems to matter after the software was updated, however (folks lose 4wd low). I hate when that happens... dunno when things will be completely cleared up on that one

Seems like Jeep corrects some issues quickly, but others (i.e. fishbite which is more relevant to the WK2 community) are more complex.... in that one thing is fixed but two others break...
Unread 05-13-2014, 08:09 PM   #6
onebluemcm
2014 WK 

Thanks for the heads up fun2drive - looks like a good idea going on there. Just hoping it's more toward the $100 than the $200 range - 2 bills to deal with a design/engineering f-up, ouch.
Unread 05-13-2014, 08:37 PM   #7
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

$285 at mopar.com good luck finding it aftermarket
Unread 05-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #8
onebluemcm
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Xk View Post
$285 at mopar.com good luck finding it aftermarket
Someone is fabing a custom unit up. What's the P/N for the $285 piece?
Unread 05-13-2014, 08:48 PM   #9
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebluemcm
Someone is fabing a custom unit up. What's the P/N for the $285 piece?
If this is the correct part-

Diesel Exhaust Fluid System - INJECTOR KIT, Dosage Module

Part # 68232842AA
Unread 05-14-2014, 10:01 AM   #10
DRKRED12

If I am reading this right they were looking for the factory cover part # and not the injector part # as I do not think a factory cover exists as of yet.
DRKRED12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2014, 11:19 AM   #11
fun2drive

There is a factory part number but not that covers the vulnerable DEF injector which sticks down like a sore thumb. This was clearly an after thought by Jeep. I am curious if the RAM 1500 will have a fix for this. I could give a flip for "Off Road Rating" but if I can't even drive down a gravel lane then shame on Jeep.
The protective cover has been fabbed and a couple versions are being looked at for more than just protection but also when regeneration occurs to be sure that nothing over heats.
The member at the other forum is a member of SEMA and does this type of thing as part of his livelihood and his fabricators do this often so this is not some back yard bolt on but something with a lot of thought put in it.
For 50 plus large I for one want to protect my Jeep weak points. My plan is to do AlCan next year but my Outback is better prepared than my JGC diesel until this is corrected. There have been numerous cases of the plastic injectors snapping off and draining the tank throwing a code that tells you the engine will shut down in XXX miles...
Unread 05-14-2014, 03:03 PM   #12
Will-X
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Xk View Post
If this is the correct part-

Diesel Exhaust Fluid System - INJECTOR KIT, Dosage Module

Part # 68232842AA
Every one I have seen with an issue, the dealer just replaced under Warranty. Haven't seen any push back.
Will-X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2014, 06:18 PM   #13
fun2drive

Update
The panel is aluminum for faster heat dissipation and to keep the weight down. The DEF area was tested today in California with panel on and off. There was no difference in temperature readings. The prototype is getting closer to being ready for production once the testing is complete...
Unread 06-10-2014, 07:42 PM   #14
Enjoyrv
2014 WK 

Can anyone tell me where specifically is it locales under the vehicle. A picture would be wonderful.
Unread 06-11-2014, 05:26 PM   #15
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

Report it to NHTSA

And maybe it will become an issue that Jeep and Fiat will have to deal with with a recall and force Jeep to design a protection panel. It sounds more complicated than that though like the mounting is weak also.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.