Deals Are A Working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Deals Are A Working

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!ExtremeTerrain.com Now Carries Raxiom Off-Road Technology RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 02-17-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
fleuger99
2011 WK 

Deals Are A Working

After drooling over all your WK2's for the last month, today I stopped by two dealers to see would give me the best lease deal on a WK2 Limited and on my Honda trade.

One dealer is close to home (which I prefer) while the other is close to work , the latter are a rather a shady bunch using all the old salesman tricks. My fav today was they have people lining outside their doors to snap up JGC's before they even open.

So, the shady dealer gave me the best deal on my trade and a good lease deal. It is $6K total out of pocket on a Inferno Red Limited with 20" wheels and tow package. They offered $3K below MSRP. Residual is 49% on 12K miles/yr and 36 months with a payment of $481/month including our 6.25% sales tax.

I emailed the dealer I like and shared this info. They have the exact same vehicle in stock but in Stone White which I also like. He said to give him until tomorrow to see if he can match the trade (he said no problem on the Limited's price). He said he appreciated me giving him the opportunity to make a deal. So, tomorrow I'll know where I'm getting my vehicle from and which colour. I cannot wait.

fleuger99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 11:24 PM   #2
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That is good to hear. Even if you end up with the red one, you can still do all of your service at the local dealer, but I know what it is like to want to do all of your dealings with one dealer of preference. Good luck, but you should sign up with tread lightly ($25 membership) and you get 1% below invoice pricing plus all current incentives (and you can still do negotiations: my mom payed $37.8k on the road after saving about $4k after taxes on her WK2). I could see you saving at least another $1k easily.

Let us know how it works out. These things are awesome.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 04:21 AM   #3
fleuger99
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
That is good to hear. Even if you end up with the red one, you can still do all of your service at the local dealer, but I know what it is like to want to do all of your dealings with one dealer of preference. Good luck, but you should sign up with tread lightly ($25 membership) and you get 1% below invoice pricing plus all current incentives (and you can still do negotiations: my mom payed $37.8k on the road after saving about $4k after taxes on her WK2). I could see you saving at least another $1k easily.

Hey Luckrider,

Thanks for that info, does that include for leases or only sales?
Unread 02-18-2011, 04:48 AM   #4
fleuger99
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post

I just signed up for the Treadlightly as you suggested. One needs to join for 3 years ($60) in order to get the auto discount but it is obviously well worth it if I can save several hundred dollars or more. Thanks for the suggestion.
Unread 02-18-2011, 05:15 AM   #5
swampass2
2011 WK 

Looks like Tread Lightly is either trying to milk more out of the affiliate pricing offer, or Chrysler got in their ear. $25 for a 1-year membership was all it took to be eligible for Affiliate pricing as of one month ago.
swampass2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 05:21 AM   #6
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, we became members in December to get a $100 rebate on tires for my dad's truck (so saved $75 there) and then my mom's van crapped out. Just happened to work out perfectly. That $25 goes to a good cause and saved us a ton of money.
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Unread 02-18-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
fleuger99
2011 WK 

Well, it looks like I'll be waiting a little longer. The shady dealership (Central Jeep Chrysler) showed their shady colours this afternoon when I went down to sign the papers and they told me they would not give me the $29K for my trade, only $26K. So I asked them why they didn't call me and tell me this and save me wasting my time coming down. Their response was, they were too busy. I told him he was a shady scum bag salesman and walked out.

My good dealer (Planet Jeep) said he could not give me $29K for the trade as they would only be able to sell it for $28K tops so he didn't know how the other dealer could pull it off. Now I know they couldn't

I'll hold off a few more months and save some more cash and do the deal with Planet Jeep in June.
Unread 02-18-2011, 04:49 PM   #8
Lasnoe

I've got my eyes on a pretty well equipped overland that stickers for a little over 46k. I haven't started haggling yet cause I haven't decided if I really want a new car. (so I haven't gotten a feel for how much budging room dealers have for negotiating) but I can't see myself paying 40k+ for a 2011 model that msrp's for 46k when:

- it's a 1st year production vehicle of a new model... usually means they haven't worked out all the bugs.
- and more importantly, the bigger kick in the crotch for 2011 owners.... reports are out that the 2012 WKII will get an new, upgraded 8 speed transmission.

What do you think this is going to do to the residual value of 2011 models???? It's gonna kill it! I don't want the car bad enough to wait a year to buy the 2012 model with the new tranny. But I sure as hell am not willing to pay full or close to full market price for a car that's going to take a major hit in resale value because Chrysler rushed the product.

I think this angle will not leave dealers with a lot of room to be stubborn on price. If they wanna sell one more Jeep this month than they would normally sell, then they've gotta come down to 38k (or whatever your price is.) Take away that "new car hype" argument they try to sell us on by telling them how Chrysler is actually giving it good and hard to all 2011 WKII owners.

anyone try this angle yet???? I'm probably gonna start negotiating later on this month or next. The 8 speed tranny on the 2012s really bummed me out on the 2011s. Bright side though.... you really negotiate best when you're not dead set on having the car.

Great Forum guys!
Lasnoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 06:07 PM   #9
lharrell79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasnoe View Post
I've got my eyes on a pretty well equipped overland that stickers for a little over 46k. I haven't started haggling yet cause I haven't decided if I really want a new car. (so I haven't gotten a feel for how much budging room dealers have for negotiating) but I can't see myself paying 40k+ for a 2011 model that msrp's for 46k when:

- it's a 1st year production vehicle of a new model... usually means they haven't worked out all the bugs.
- and more importantly, the bigger kick in the crotch for 2011 owners.... reports are out that the 2012 WKII will get an new, upgraded 8 speed transmission.

What do you think this is going to do to the residual value of 2011 models???? It's gonna kill it! I don't want the car bad enough to wait a year to buy the 2012 model with the new tranny. But I sure as hell am not willing to pay full or close to full market price for a car that's going to take a major hit in resale value because Chrysler rushed the product.

I think this angle will not leave dealers with a lot of room to be stubborn on price. If they wanna sell one more Jeep this month than they would normally sell, then they've gotta come down to 38k (or whatever your price is.) Take away that "new car hype" argument they try to sell us on by telling them how Chrysler is actually giving it good and hard to all 2011 WKII owners.

anyone try this angle yet???? I'm probably gonna start negotiating later on this month or next. The 8 speed tranny on the 2012s really bummed me out on the 2011s. Bright side though.... you really negotiate best when you're not dead set on having the car.

Great Forum guys!
You gotta ask yourself, what can the 8 speed tranny do that the other can't, and are you really going to be able to notice that much of a difference? I think a lot of people are getting hyped up about the 8 speed, when there's nothing wrong with the current tranny. It works fine, there's nothing wrong with it, and it can do anything the 8 speed can.

Lucas
lharrell79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 06:58 PM   #10
fleuger99
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lharrell79 View Post
You gotta ask yourself, what can the 8 speed tranny do that the other can't, and are you really going to be able to notice that much of a difference? I think a lot of people are getting hyped up about the 8 speed, when there's nothing wrong with the current tranny. It works fine, there's nothing wrong with it, and it can do anything the 8 speed can.

Lucas
Also, this is a brand spanking new transmission, whose to say IT won't have teething issues in the Jeeps for the first go around? It might also result in an increase in price over the current model?
Unread 02-18-2011, 07:20 PM   #11
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Honestly, it is supposed to be the same 8-speed that is in the BMWs, but I have put enough miles on the 5-speed to realize that there is no need for more gears (except for EPA ratings which go nuts for things like that). As for the price, I talked to the GM of the largest Jeep dealership in his district (with no intent to buy from him: He was giving me accurate info). He gave me the low down on the pricing thing, and they are not going to be able to go down $8k (about 18%) on $46k.

As for the issues, this vehicle has been in testing since 2008. It was supposed to be a 2010 model, but they pushed it back for testing and reliability. They put millions of miles (I believe over 4 million real-world miles) before the first one was sold. That includes pushing every button before departure, and playing with every option.
Unread 02-18-2011, 07:20 PM   #12
Lasnoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lharrell79 View Post

Lucas

Well, I wont be telling the dealer that. I'm trying to get the best price possible. But, in all honesty, unless the 8 speed tranny is a total disaster for jeep, the 5 speed WKII's are going to take a big hit when it comes to holding value.
Lasnoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 09:47 PM   #13
lharrell79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasnoe View Post
Well, I wont be telling the dealer that. I'm trying to get the best price possible. But, in all honesty, unless the 8 speed tranny is a total disaster for jeep, the 5 speed WKII's are going to take a big hit when it comes to holding value.
I highly doubt it. The average person going to buy a GC probably won't even realize that there is a difference in the transmission. Most people only know manual or auto.

Lucas
lharrell79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 09:50 PM   #14
Mike97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

I would wait till next year when the new tranny comes out, then pick up a '11 model that's always taken the big resale hit. Although I'm not sure how many people will actually know, or care about the new tranny, other than people on boards like this. The vast majority of the public is completely ignorant about things like that.

And I actually remember reading a review of a car with a 7 or 8 speed tranny, I think it was a Mercedes, and the tester didn't like it, said it had too many gears so it seemed like it was always shifting.

And honestly, if you're worried about resale, buy a Wrangler, they're the only Jeep with resale worth a d@mn.
Mike97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2011, 12:52 AM   #15
hobbie1
2011 WK 

This is our 5th Grand Cherokee and by far the most reliable.

Our Overland was ordered on 10/5 in Woodland CA and delivered on 11/5

Built for us - showing my wife and my name on the sticker.

The only issues:

1.The windshield was flawed - in direct sun light you could see streaks that could not be removed
2. The center stack where the temp is displayed had a finger print on the inside of the screen - yes thats right inside of the screen
3. Travel Link not working on the 430 Nav unit

Both pieces ordered and replaced.

Waiting for a software update on the 430.

As far as the tranny -this is the same talk that we heard when we went from 1996 to the 1998 to the 2001 to the 2005.

Our 05 Hemi has the exact same tranny as our 2011 hemi and has worked perfectly. While it is a 5 speed the 5th gear actually has a dual stage - 5 low - 5 high - so you could argue that the tranny is a 6 speed. If you use the manual shift you will see the tranny move through gears 1 to 5 and then drive (final OD). Try this and you will see the tach change.

Lastly - we looked into trading in our 05 Limited with 80K miles and were offered $15K trade in. Not bad for a 6 year old Jeep considering the sticker on the 11 was $44960 and we paid $41750. We kept the 05 - its now the family loaner.....

On top of that the 2001 Limited we bought in 2000 was handed over to my daughter and her husband. It is going fine with 170K logged miles.

Bottom line who cares if they tank - which all of them will if gas goes over $5 - this is the 5th one we have bought and we'll keep it till it dies.

Hope you get your price - in the mean time I'm going to continue to enjoy driving the one we have.
2013 Ford Mustang GT and 1966 Ford Mustang 289 5-SPD 289
hobbie1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.