Dealers at work.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Dealers at work....

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 06-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
boyvan
2012 WK 

Dealers at work....

This is not Jeep related but thought to share anyways. Yesterday took my wife's Acura to an Acura dealer for a recall. Since her car has approx 180K now so I asked them to do a safety inspection as well. The guy called me from the dealership and listed few items that needed doing. One of those things was replacing battery. The guy said that battery failed the test. I told him No to everything.

I brought the car home and the battery failed test was still bugging me so I decided to call BCAA (AAA/CAA). The BCAA guy came and did three separate tests and all tests were fine. He said that its upto me if I still want him to change the battery but he doesn't see any issues with the battery. He said that I can get another 2 years at least out of it. So I called the dealer and he started talking in battery jargon and said that their tests showed it failed.

BCAA guy explained that if his readings (volt?) were below 9 then it is a problem. But all three test showed a lowest reading of 10.8 which tells him its fine. Can anyone explain what he meant by these numbers?

I thought to share because people often complain that Chrysler dealers are not honest but I guess its most dealers in general. I wonder if there is such thing as honest dealer out there.

Unread 06-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
eibyer

I just make them write the recommendation down and then I get a second opinion. If it is really needed then I would schedule it sometime later, unless they will tell me that the car might explode on the way home then I might say let me think about it for a minute.
eibyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
NCJeepGC
2012 WK 

Replace the battery. Wouldn't want my wife stranded somewhere because I second guessed replacing it. Batteries are relatively inexpensive. Even at 10 volts, that sounds a little low. Acura's engineers may have designed their systems to run at certain voltages. Not trying to bust your balls, just my honest opinion.

Sent from my Badass Nexus 7 using JeepForum
Unread 06-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #4
jacko15
2014 WK 

I've read basically the same thing elsewhere, but good explanation:
http://www.wikihow.com/Check-a-Car-Battery
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
boyvan
2012 WK 

They wrote the recommendations down and I will get a second opinion on the rest of the "issues". None of these issues were life threatening or would leave my wife stranded.

@NCJeepGC - I thought of it too. But I guess I was ticked off at the dealer especially after speaking to the BCAA guy. I probably will get it replaced in few months.

@Jacko - Thanks. I will read it when I have some more time.
Unread 06-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #6
henrysko
2011 WK 

Could be the proverbial tip of the iceberg with that many miles.

Perhaps a newer car?
Unread 06-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
nyrhockey23

if you don't trust dealers (no one can blame you for this) then why would you ask them to do a check up on the car anyways?
nyrhockey23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #8
Carange334

1987 ford pick up truck. Still alive and kicking. Sold it to a friend who uses it for farm work. Odometer rolled over at 200K miles and then we put another 50K on it. Never replaced the battery. Was completely amazed by that truck. Just wouldn't DIE! lol. Could have been just a miracle the battery lasted that long but to each their own. For a daily driver I wouldnt risk it, but then again it did past/fail the test...
Carange334 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #9
Dabitz

I'm surprise that's the only thing they tried to sell you. If it was a Jeep dealership they would've said your engine is about to explode and needed a rebuilt worth $5K.
Dabitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #10
boyvan
2012 WK 

I was surprised too that nothing major had come up. There were other minor things but this was the biggest thing. We bought it brand new and I have been taking care of it regularly. I went to Acura simply because of a recall. They had a special on safety inspections so thought to get it done. And as soon as I told them to do a safety inspection the techs eyes lit up...lol. But later he agreed that car is in a good condition. I will still get the battery changed after all....just in case.
Unread 06-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #11
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrhockey23 View Post
if you don't trust dealers (no one can blame you for this) then why would you ask them to do a check up on the car anyways?
Just to expand on this. Why are you taking the word of a roadside assistance person over a J-man? You do understand the BCAA people are not mechanics (or anything close to it) right?
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2013, 10:07 PM   #12
Chris9674T
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabitz View Post
I'm surprise that's the only thing they tried to sell you. If it was a Jeep dealership they would've said your engine is about to explode and needed a rebuilt worth $5K.
LOL Sounds like you have been to the dealer I bought my Jeep from!!
Chris9674T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #13
fumblefingers
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabitz View Post
not so funny. My jeep GC swallowed a valve at 175,000 and since it was an 01 the $5 K engine was more that my otherwise nice ride was worth. Now I am back buying a new GC that has so many bells and whistles I will spend more time reading the manual than driving.
fumblefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 05:46 PM   #14
zlieberman
1988 YJ Wrangler 

battery readings

No one has answered the OP's question.
The readings that they are giving you is a load test from the sound of it, the batteries normal volts should be 12.6V when you place a load on the battery, like starting the car the Volt reading should not go below 9V. If it does the battery is no good. If the battery is sitting at 12.6V and you apply a load and the V drops to 10.8V this would indicate that the battery is doing just fine.
zlieberman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #15
boyvan
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlieberman
No one has answered the OP's question.
The readings that they are giving you is a load test from the sound of it, the batteries normal volts should be 12.6V when you place a load on the battery, like starting the car the Volt reading should not go below 9V. If it does the battery is no good. If the battery is sitting at 12.6V and you apply a load and the V drops to 10.8V this would indicate that the battery is doing just fine.
Thanks zlieberman. I appreciate your response. I guess having too many smart people answering one simple question makes it complicated....lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.