Dealer wants to change the brake fluid? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Dealer wants to change the brake fluid?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 06-25-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
Buffy
2012 WK 

Question Dealer wants to change the brake fluid?

If this is a repeat, I apologize.

I have 26,000 on my 2012 GC Overland Summit and at the last oil change, the dealer told my brake fluid was changing colors and will need to be changed next visit.

I have NEVER heard of brake fluid needing changing in one year before.

Am I missing something?

Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Check the owners manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy View Post

I have 26,000 on my 2012 GC Overland Summit and at the last oil change, the dealer told my brake fluid was changing colors and will need to be changed next visit.

Am I missing something?
I believe it says every two years. Just because the fluid has allegedly changed color is no reason to change. If you GC has seen hard use ie towing or has been in very humid environment then changing more frequently maybe in option.

Depending on how hard the vehicle is used brake fluid can be changed as often as before a track weekend or between track sessions. Again depends on how hard the brakes were used etc.

Dont know the wet boiling point of the OEM brake fluid in our GCs??? For severe use I would recommend ATE Blue and Gold. Or even good ole Castrol. No need for high buck fluids. Wet boiling point is the most important for brake fluid. Dont use silicon brake fluid ever in your GC. Also avoid some racing brake fluids because they are very hydroscopic ie attract water and are made to be changed before every race.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
Jackal01

2012 WK 

Like Dave said, unless it was driven hard I do not see it needing to be changed (from what you have said thus far).

Items for sale. See my thread for pictures. PM for details.

K&N 77 series cold air intake

Cobra 75 CB radio
Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 04:19 PM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy View Post

Am I missing something?
Most places use a copper test strip that is dipped into the brake fluid,the more purple the strip turns after 90 seconds the more copper is present which is corrosion is the system.Anything above 200ppm is a required change.With ABS systems maintaining brake fluid is very important where as 30 years ago it was not a big concern.

This is the strips we use...............
http://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-System.../dp/B000JFJMGO

Even most autoparts stores have single strips that you can buy and test yourself.
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:25 AM   #5
Dabitz

How easy is to flush the brakes on a WK2? I just changed my brake pads at 50K miles and I know it's time to flush the system 3 yrs.
Dabitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabitz View Post
How easy is to flush the brakes on a WK2? I just changed my brake pads at 50K miles and I know it's time to flush the system 3 yrs.
Same as any vehicle,can do it many ways depending on your budget.I use a vacuum bleeder but you can do the old way of having someone pump and hold,then you open the bleeder,repeat till the fluid comes out clear.As usual you start at the RR,then LR,then RF,and finally the LF and check and refill the master cylinder often.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.