Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Dealer Says Throttle Body Cleaning ??

15K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  tjkj2002 
#1 ·
My dealer recommended me to get the throttle body cleaned on my hemi 2011 at 20,000. This came up when I took it in for an oil change 2 weeks ago.
At what point do members here get this work done and was this just a ploy to drum up revenue for the dealership?

A question for you guys. Am I correct in that the hemi will need new spark plugs at 36,000 and both front and rear differential lubricant changed around 33,000 in quad 11 four wheel drive?
Thanks

#3 ·
Jeep discourages throttle body cleaning as it does more harm than good, although some service writers try to add it in an effort to meet their monthly sales quota.

Dif service depends on how you use the vehicle and year, if its a taxi then more often. Otherwise its like 100,000 miles or so. Check the maintenance schedule XJ2WK2 posted.

The 2014s have longer lasting plugs, but earlier years is 36,000 miles. Thats one of the reason the Hemi cost more to maintain than a V6. Costs over $300 for a dealer to replace them as its a few hours work, some of it knuckle busting. There was some discussion recently about extending the service life of plugs in a 2011 by using the new (2014) plug. I don't recall how that ended up.

#4 ·
ColdCase said:
Jeep discourages throttle body cleaning as it does more harm than good, although some service writers try to add it in an effort to meet their monthly sales quota. Dif service depends on how you use the vehicle and year, if its a taxi then more often. Otherwise its like 100,000 miles or so. Check the maintenance schedule XJ2WK2 posted. The 2014s have longer lasting plugs, but earlier years is 36,000 miles. Thats one of the reason the Hemi cost more to maintain than a V6. Costs over $300 for a dealer to replace them as its a few hours work, some of it knuckle busting. There was some discussion recently about extending the service life of plugs in a 2011 by using the new (2014) plug. I don't recall how that ended up.
Is it worth it to use fuel injector cleaner?

#5 ·
Not unless you are using untaxed farm fuel. Name brand fuel is all you need today. An occasional tank of premium is optional but won't hurt as they often have cleaning agents added that regular fuel doesn't.

#6 ·
ColdCase said:
Thats one of the reason the Hemi cost more to maintain than a V6. Costs over $300 for a dealer to replace them as its a few hours work, some of it knuckle busting.
This is why I never take my Jeep to the stealership for routine maintenance. It does not take a "few hours of knuckle busting work" to change spark plugs. With a little prep of the new plugs the job took me less than one hour and I didn't even get a scratch. The dealer wants you think it's head but it's not.

#13 ·
You should not use never seize on spark plugs for the following reasons.

•Alters the tightening torque by up to 20% which may cause over-tightening (or breaking the spark bolt)
•Reduces electrical ground contact if the anti-seize is non-conductive or semi-conductive (reduced spark possible)
•Isolates more heat into the spark plug therefore causing the plug to increase the heat range above specification (can cause detonation/pre-ignition)

#23 ·
tjkj2002 said:
Common knowledge for automotive techs and has been for 50+ years and you said it yourself bmw "used to" till they got a little smarter(be not that much smarter they still make cars).
I've asked 3 techs (2 of which work on Jeeps, one on Chevy)..all use anti seize in plugs. I've been using it ever since I could turn a wrench. Never caused a single issue.

#24 ·
ColdCase said:
You should do us all a favor and post your procedure for the one hour WK2 change, as well as any tricks to get at those buried rear plugs. Not saying it can't be done with persistence, dexterity, experience, and the right kind of tools (and perhaps a couple more hands), but the procedures posted may many here and those YouTube videos show a couple hours work if you know what you are doing. I'm not saying that the dealers are not high priced, but changing 16 plugs on a WK2 hemi doesn't seem to be that easy either. There are some tight places. Getting the coil packs off and back on again itself is near an hour unless you are doing it every day.
I'm telling you it's a 45 min- 1 hour job with a simple ratchet, spark plug socket, various extensions and a u-joint adapter. Trust me, I've done it twice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.