Dealer Problems/Towing Package Install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Dealer Problems/Towing Package Install

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 11-24-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Dealer Problems/Towing Package Install

Hello All -

My mom bought a 2011 WK2 (Red, 4x4 Limited V6 w/SelecTerrain). Definitely a nice rig. Much different in character than my ZJ or WJ but I'm not saying that's a bad thing. While controversial, it might be good for the Jeep brand to have an upscale BMW/Lexus/Range Rover competitor.

Moving on! The only problems she has had is with the dealer. One of the terms of purchase is that they add the Tow Package. They had to bring in a vehicle from another dealer that had all the options, engine, color, and interior that she wanted. They claimed it had the Tow Package as well, but lo and behold it arrived a day later and NO hitch!

She had the dealership add it to their initial work order and she has signed paperwork to that effect. However, the dealer is not being cooperative in actually doing the work. They are claiming that the parts for the Tow Package are not available. Of course, they have new vehicle with the Tow Package installed, AND they have all the parts required as accessories on the Jeep/Mopar website, so I think they are full of crap.

Does anyone have any advice on handling this situation?

billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
2011Hemi
2011 WK 

The dealer should make it right, however adding the receiver (hitch) to make it look like it was factory installed is not as simple as just bolting on a factory receiver. The lower rear facia is different with a factory installed tow package. To install the factory one they would need to replace the lower facia, have it painted to match and install the wiring and plug connectors along with the filler trim bezel around all of that.
Now the add-on accessory receiver is different in that it has the receiver part postioned under the lower facia panel so that it doesn't need cut-out or replaced.
2011Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Typical of a dealer as they'll tell you anything to get that paperwork signed.

You might call other dealers and see if they can order the parts, just to see if they are available. Or have her call Jeep directly about it.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 07:56 PM   #4
riverzendz
2008 JK Wrangler 

Funny, we're dealing with the EXACT same issue.

My wife bought her WK2 in Oct. and we found one that had everything she wanted, minus the tow package. We negotiated that the tow package be added sans the rear leveling suspension and trans cooler...so, just the hitch and wiring harness. We were told that the hitch was available but the harness was on back order until the end of Oct. Here we are at the end of Nov. and no hitch or harness yet.
riverzendz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 07:58 PM   #5
riverzendz
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011Hemi View Post
The dealer should make it right, however adding the receiver (hitch) to make it look like it was factory installed is not as simple as just bolting on a factory receiver. The lower rear facia is different with a factory installed tow package. To install the factory one they would need to replace the lower facia, have it painted to match and install the wiring and plug connectors along with the filler trim bezel around all of that.
Now the add-on accessory receiver is different in that it has the receiver part postioned under the lower facia panel so that it doesn't need cut-out or replaced.
The rear bumper is not different. It's cut, not replaced. So, it is that "simple."
riverzendz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2010, 09:52 PM   #6
SPL170db

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverzendz View Post
Funny, we're dealing with the EXACT same issue.

My wife bought her WK2 in Oct. and we found one that had everything she wanted, minus the tow package. We negotiated that the tow package be added sans the rear leveling suspension and trans cooler...so, just the hitch and wiring harness. We were told that the hitch was available but the harness was on back order until the end of Oct. Here we are at the end of Nov. and no hitch or harness yet.

My dealer told me the same exact thing. I got mine back in mid-July, salesman said the towing stuff would be in in a week, just call the service dept and they'll fix you all up. Sure enough, they say "Yeah I don't know why they told you that, the parts won't be available until Sept."

So I wait until mid-sept.....not in until October. Actually same thing, hitch is in but no wiring harness yet. They finally got the harness in the last week of Oct and I got it all done.
SPL170db is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2010, 10:25 PM   #7
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Good info here guys. Glad to see it IS possible to get this done, but things aren't going well with this problem.

Update on our situation:

She's taken the dispute up to Jeep Corporate and has not seen any resolution. She has had to re-open the incident several times and goes through this routine: A very friendly person at the call center says "your case manager will call you either today or tomorrow." No one calls. On the second day, she calls back and finds out that her incident number has been closed. Reopen, promise, no call, lather, rinse, repeat. I believe she has called 4 times at this point.

The vehicle is under 1000 miles still but she is quickly approaching the 45-day mark. On the work order it says "all work not completed within 45 days becomes null and void". Seems like the dealer is going to get away with stalling indefinitely and then they don't have to do the work. This is after charging a $10,005 markup over invoice because "it's a hot vehicle right now". I tell ya, I'm in the wrong business.
Unread 12-01-2010, 02:24 AM   #8
metalaxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL170db View Post
So I wait until mid-sept.....not in until October. Actually same thing, hitch is in but no wiring harness yet. They finally got the harness in the last week of Oct and I got it all done.
Would you happen to know the part # for the wiring harness? I need to add the hitch receiver and wiring harness to my WK2 also. I have not been able to get a clear answer on the wiring harness to use. Thanks
metalaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 06:34 AM   #9
lharrell79

I'm not positive, but pretty sure that these are the parts you need:

Trailer hitch

Mopar.com eStore - Find a Item

Wiring harness

Mopar.com eStore - Find a Item

Also, it appears that Somerset Jeep has them in stock, and for sale on ebay.

2011 GRAND CHEROKEE TRAILER HITCH - eBay (item 310235146675 end time Dec-16-10 09:47:24 PST)

2011 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE Trailer Tow Wiring Harness - eBay (item 140442239982 end time Dec-16-10 08:13:49 PST)

You guys that are having dealer issues should just have your dealer order them off of ebay for you.

HTH, Lucas
lharrell79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 06:43 AM   #10
bradbb2005

2008 WK 

File a small claims suit before the expiration, tell them you want (total value of hitch parts) refunded to you, as they are not providing it to you as stated in a signed contract, even if the time passes, as long as the case is filed, they will be forced to either pay or put it on. So get a quote from another dealership (dont tell them your situation, just get a quote), then sue.

2008 KK 3.7L V6
Mods: None, Yet

Past: 1996 XJ 4.0 I6, 1998 ZJ 4.0 I6, 2001 WJ 4.7 V8, 2005 KJ Renegade 3.7 V6
bradbb2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 08:33 PM   #11
SPL170db

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalaxe View Post
Would you happen to know the part # for the wiring harness? I need to add the hitch receiver and wiring harness to my WK2 also. I have not been able to get a clear answer on the wiring harness to use. Thanks
I'm not exactly sure, I didn't see any of the parts they used. It was a 7-wire harness. The plate itself that they installed has both the 4-plug and 7-plug fittings.
harness.jpg  
SPL170db is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 07:42 AM   #12
mr2guru

$10,000 over invoice? tell me you're kidding, right?

These things are selling at or right below invoice right now.
mr2guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 10:37 AM   #13
Nbtstatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
This is after charging a $10,005 markup over invoice because "it's a hot vehicle right now". I tell ya, I'm in the wrong business.
Nbtstatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 11:31 PM   #14
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I wish I WERE kidding. *sigh* It's because she bought from a dealer in the wealthiest part of the state. 20 miles north and I am sure they are selling under invoice. The good news is that they gave her $9100 sight-un-seen for her trade-in that barely drove.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.