Day/Night Display for Garmin GPS on 430N Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Day/Night Display for Garmin GPS on 430N Help

Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday SaNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Reply
Unread 02-12-2011, 06:05 AM   #1
Flynn77
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Alexandria, Virginia
Posts: 16
Day/Night Display for Garmin GPS on 430N Help

I went to the built in help screen on the Garmin and found the section on changing the display. The directions told me to go to setting and then display and from there I could switch between day, night, and auto display. However, when I go to settings there is no option for display. Is there another way to access the day and night display settings for the Garmin GPS on 430N or do I need to go back to the dealer for an update? This is a custom built Jeep and I just took delivery on Wednesday.

Flynn77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
JeepOrvis97
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hudson, OH
Posts: 1,653
Hit the menu button, its in there.
JeepOrvis97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
2011Hemi
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Centre, PA
Posts: 229
Don't use the "settings" on the nav screen, push the "Menu" hard button then touch the screen button "display settings" on the upper right corner. From there you can select Day, Night, or Auto and the brightness level for each mode.
Also, make sure your dash dimmer switch is not in the override bright dimmer position.
2011Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2011, 09:35 PM   #4
LuckRider
Web Wheeler
 
LuckRider's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NY - 12550
Posts: 9,318
^That. I actually found that out today when just playing with the buttons. Displays happen to show on the right side of the screen when you hit the Menu hard button.
__________________
Thanks to SuperWade2 For the 1 Year Upgrade!
Support Our Troops!
ALL WK2 Owners, Click Here
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2011, 09:54 PM   #5
Brady12
Registered User
2011  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 158
I like having the dash/gauges on the brightest settings at night. However then the auto function on the nav/radio screen does not change. I assume it is okay to keep the dash lights at the highest setting all the time?
Brady12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2011, 05:48 PM   #6
Flynn77
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Alexandria, Virginia
Posts: 16
Cool. Thanks for the help.
Flynn77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #7
bikerbill7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 42
So, what is the purpose of the Auto Color Mode? This option doesn't change my display from day to night mode. It stays on day brightness all the time??
bikerbill7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2011, 09:14 PM   #8
JeepOrvis97
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hudson, OH
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerbill7 View Post
So, what is the purpose of the Auto Color Mode? This option doesn't change my display from day to night mode. It stays on day brightness all the time??


you need to turn the dimmer switch down, there is 2 detents at the top of the dimmer, one is for dome lights and the other is for keeping the radio, mileage, cluster lights bright at night, push it down below these two detents.



also stated here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011Hemi View Post
Don't use the "settings" on the nav screen, push the "Menu" hard button then touch the screen button "display settings" on the upper right corner. From there you can select Day, Night, or Auto and the brightness level for each mode.
Also, make sure your dash dimmer switch is not in the override bright dimmer position.
JeepOrvis97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2011, 09:17 PM   #9
2011Hemi
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Centre, PA
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerbill7 View Post
So, what is the purpose of the Auto Color Mode? This option doesn't change my display from day to night mode. It stays on day brightness all the time??
Your dash light dimmer switch is probably in the overide position. Turn it down one notch, the detent position is max brightness override so you can have full brightness during daytime when the headlights are on.
2011Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2011, 09:21 PM   #10
JeepOrvis97
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hudson, OH
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011Hemi View Post
Your dash light dimmer switch is probably in the overide position. Turn it down one notch, the detent position is max brightness override so you can have full brightness during daytime when the headlights are on.
Its amazing that my 1997 ZJ automatically dims those lights when I have my lights on at night or leaves them bright when my lights are on during the day. I have no idea why they made this a manual setting in the WJ and now also the WK2.
JeepOrvis97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #11
2011Hemi
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Centre, PA
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepOrvis97 View Post
Its amazing that my 1997 ZJ automatically dims those lights when I have my lights on at night or leaves them bright when my lights are on during the day. I have no idea why they made this a manual setting in the WJ and now also the WK2.
My Silverado works that way too. The cluster and radio/Nav lights work off of the photosensor instead of the headlight operation.
One thing I don't like on the WK2 is when all you have on is the radio (at night w/ engine off) and the screen is the only thing that lights up and at full brightness. On my truck the screen and buttons light up and at the night setting.
2011Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2011, 04:14 PM   #12
mjw930
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011Hemi View Post
My Silverado works that way too. The cluster and radio/Nav lights work off of the photosensor instead of the headlight operation.
One thing I don't like on the WK2 is when all you have on is the radio (at night w/ engine off) and the screen is the only thing that lights up and at full brightness. On my truck the screen and buttons light up and at the night setting.
When the setting is on the second detent it operates as you describe, the radio stays bright. Move the dimmer switch past the second detent and the radio will dim with the dash lighting.
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2011, 06:06 PM   #13
2011Hemi
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Centre, PA
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
When the setting is on the second detent it operates as you describe, the radio stays bright. Move the dimmer switch past the second detent and the radio will dim with the dash lighting.
Only if the Jeep is running. If your sitting in the Jeep with the engine off at night (waiting to pick someone up) and have the ignition in "acc" position the radio screen is all that lights up and it does so at full brightness no matter what position the dimmer is in. Now you could go in and change the setting on the radio from "auto" to "night" but who wants to keep doing that all the time since you will have to change it back for daytime driving.
2011Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.