Dash Modification Question - 2011 Grand Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Dash Modification Question - 2011 Grand Cherokee

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineORS Recovery RopeSynthetic Winch Rope from ORS

Unread 12-15-2014, 07:52 PM   #1
hemiglock21
2011 WK 

Dash Modification Question - 2011 Grand Cherokee

Regarding the plastic dashboard compartment in front of the gearshift, under the climate control system. This is the small compartment that has a cigarette lighter inside and opens by pushing the door at the bottom (the door opens upward).

I would like to remove the plastic piece and cut or drill a hole in the back. It seems very difficult to disassemble the dash to take the compartment out, so my question is - is there anything important like wires or other fragile things directly behind it? "Plan B" is to drill a hole without removing the dash. Is this a bad idea?

Thanks,
JM

PS, the hole will be about 1.5 inches and the purpose is so that I can fit my full size handgun in the compartment barrel first.

hemiglock21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2014, 08:18 PM   #2
kryogen
2011 WK 

Lol thats funny, you guys are allowed to drive around with a loaded handgun in the car? I would go to jail for that. Even owning pistols is a hassle here, you need to have a restricted firearms licence, and it only allows you to have them unloaded at home, in a safe, or at the restricted pistol range. And then you need an authorisation to transport from home to the range, only, unloaded, trigger locked, in a locked, rigid and opaque container. Funny eh.

I don't have a glock 21, but it's for sure a nice fullsize defensive handgun, even though it's a bit large to carry. Are you using it as CCW or just a car pistol?

Why not just put it in the glove box, or center console?
Unread 12-15-2014, 08:42 PM   #3
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Post #43 of this thread will give you some idea what is behind there.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...l#post18652954
Unread 12-15-2014, 08:55 PM   #4
hemiglock21
2011 WK 

Thanks ColdCase. It's a start.

Kryogen I keep it in the center console now, but it's not nearly as easy to grab as it would be right in front of my hand. In Texas 8 out of every ten cars on the road has gun in it. It's normal here. It's actually kind of weird if you don't have one. And, we don't even even need a license. Ha!

Thanks for the help fellas. I would still like to know how to get that center console off. All the stuff I've been reading just shows how to do things after it's already off.
Unread 12-15-2014, 10:18 PM   #5
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Buried in here are instructions:

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/interior/201...moval_001E.pdf
Unread 12-16-2014, 06:31 AM   #6
kryogen
2011 WK 

I was in dallas a few weeks ago for training. Not much to say, went in and out for just a few days. Weather was much nicer than here
Unread 12-16-2014, 04:08 PM   #7
plasticgunz

May I suggest:

http://www.consolevault.com/

I'm very happy with mine.
plasticgunz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2014, 08:22 PM   #8
hemiglock21
2011 WK 

haha plasticgunz - that's my plan B! I had already scoped it out. Did you get the three combo or four?
Unread 12-16-2014, 08:46 PM   #9
Morax
One Life. Live it!

2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticgunz View Post
May I suggest:

http://www.consolevault.com/

I'm very happy with mine.
Nice, thanks for the link, question tho, what happens with the 12v outlet? would think that you loose it?
Unread 12-17-2014, 09:13 AM   #10
plasticgunz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemiglock21 View Post
haha plasticgunz - that's my plan B! I had already scoped it out. Did you get the three combo or four?
I got the four. For no particular reason, I guess.
Unread 12-17-2014, 09:14 AM   #11
plasticgunz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morax View Post
Nice, thanks for the link, question tho, what happens with the 12v outlet? would think that you loose it?
Let me see what I can do about taking a picture.
Unread 12-17-2014, 09:46 PM   #12
Morax
One Life. Live it!

2014 WK 

Unread 12-18-2014, 06:07 PM   #13
leadsled jeep
2002 WJ 

Kryogen:

Sounds like a good reason to move to a more Constitutionally minded state. I left NY state. TN isn't the most rights minded state but it's sure a step in the 'right' direction.
'02 Overland 130k+ miles. 245-70-17 GG AT2's. BDS 2" lift, Bilstein 5100's, JKS QDs. Addco Swaybars F/R. Stillen Front Rotors/ Pads. TRE's, BJ's, wheel bearings. 100% Amsoil. I like my rifles like my coffee, hot, black and continually refilled.
leadsled jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2014, 06:44 PM   #14
kryogen
2011 WK 

I live in quebec, canada. Probably the most anti gun place after california and NY....

Seriously, an AR is fine if it doesnt have a pistol grip, and it's not if it does have it? You guys have gone nuts. It's worse than here, really. I can have a 10 inch full scary pistol grip AR here.
(but cant move it anywhere else than my safe, or the restricted firearm range, with a police authorisation to transport... eh). same with a pistol

But, I can have a 18 inch tavor and carry it around all year anywhere because it's non restricted. (but the .22 pistol is).
Yeah, I know, gun laws are the dumbest thing on earth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.