Dash issues w/check engine light - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Dash issues w/check engine light

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #31
MrSpeed
2012 WK 

Sounds like pretty decent treatment by the dealer's service department. I hope this is the end of your troubles.

MrSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #32
amc2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Hi Zinc - well, after it died in the road a second time, they said it was the ground from the battery neg to frame. They cleaned it, replaced it, and put 100 miles on my brand new vehicle in an attempt to assure me that it was ship-shape (bringing me from 350 miles to 450 miles).

I got it back last Thursday and drove it a hundred miles or so over the weekend. Monday, on the way to a doctors appointment (that had been rescheduled when the Jeep died on my wife and she couldn't make it), the Jeep "bonged" at her and said Service 4WD system. Needless to say, after what had happened the two previous times, she was concerned. She did make it home, and I brought it in this morning. The dealer assured me they'd get to the bottom of it.

So around 5pm I called and asked if there were any updates. I was told they were working on it, and basically don't call us, we will call you, because "we haven't found anything substantial." I did give them two codes that I pulled from the vehicle when my wife got home after the Service 4WD system light went on.

I think the voltage spikes that were caused by the grounding issues for the first 300 miles of this Jeep's life probably did in a number of systems, and we'll be seeing the fallout for some time. I asked my rep at Chrysler to call my office phone because I have bad cell coverage at my desk, but he insisted on continuing to call my cell. When I tried back several times today, I got voicemail.

I think I'm at the point where the only thing I can do is get a lawyer involved. And given the number of issues that have been reported on the 2014's in this and similar forums, I will have to consider whether I want to take the chance of having this happen all over again. My wife and I really love the vehicle. We just want one that works right. This one? I think it's pretty much done for. Even the dealer doesn't seem to know what to do with it now. So I'm in a Grand Caravan loaner until they figure it out.

This is about 180 degrees opposite of what the ideal new car experience should be. It has been an absolute nightmare. I would ask Jeep -- is this who you are? Is this what you're made of? Do the right thing -- replace this vehicle. I'm willing to try again, but my patience is running thin.
amc2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #33
Jrock6spd

Just got a 2014 limited and have 200 miles in it, check engine light is on - recently after gassing up at Exxon.
I have the 8 spd v6 and the transmission feels like it slips and drops a lot does anyone have this issue?
Jrock6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:06 PM   #34
mt0784

same thing happened to my Jeep. I have a 2014 overland and all the lights on thedashboard went off plus the Parking assistance end the air suspension started acting up. I called Roadside assistance. I only had the vehicle for 3 weeks now. When the towing came the lights were gone except check engine light. Got it towed to the dealer its gonna be checked tomorrow. I wonder if its the same problem you had. I will keep an update.
mt0784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #35
Tippy142

Just turned over 1200 miles on my jeep grand Cherokee limited, and on Thursday night turned it on to find the service airbag, service abs and brake light on. Also, said park assist off and could not turn back on with button. Light on park assist was on. Also, check engine light on and speedometer not working. Had used my navigation right before turning car off but have had no issues with the display, radio, etc. To date. Unfortunately this was at 10:30pm so by the time I got my jeep to the dealership the next morning, only the check engine light was on. Then, when I called the dealership later in the day, by the time they had gotten to it, check engine light had gone off so all looked normal. This was on friday. It is now Monday night and all I have heard is that they have been in contact with technical support but that nothing they have suggested, jiggle these wires, now these, now these, have worked to recreate the problem and thus, fix it! Why don't these codes store in the system so that even once they go back, the computer can be checked as to what caused the indicators in the first place. I cannot be the first to think duh! Anyway, I'll try to keep you all updated but so far jeep seems to have no idea as why these issues are happening, OR how to fix them. I feel all your pain.
Tippy142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #36
atxmoses

I have less than 500 miles and on my way home from work today the check engine light illuminated. Taking it in the day after tomorrow. I will post an update once I have more info.

2014 JGC Limited V6 4x2
atxmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #37
atxmoses

Dealer just called and said the check engine light was related to gas cap pressurization.. I reminded him that it doesn't have a gas cap but he didn't have any more information from the service dept. I'm working with my salesman and honestly he's been great to work with.. he had a loaner car waiting for me when I got there today. I've always been a Ford guy and put a couple hundred thousand miles on my Sport Trac without any problems.. I'm hoping this Jeep doesn't turn into a maintenance nightmare.. it hasn't started off well.
Unread 10-04-2013, 08:03 AM   #38
JeepCares

atxmoses-

Let us know what it is when you find out.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #39
baseball95
1979 CJ7 

Overland problems

Have continued to have these electrical problems with my 2014 JGC Overland.
Jeep dealers and Chrysler profess to be unaware of any issues like this. Pretty sad to see Chrysler living up to their old reputation. Actually a shame to have such a good vehicle with lousy service.
baseball95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #40
atxmoses

Hi JeepCares - I got my Jeep back on Friday and the service writer called me and said the check engine light had something to do with pressurization in the fuel system and they didn't do anything to resolve the issue.. they just cleared the code and asked me to contact them if it happens again. That was on Friday. This is Sunday and the check engine light is back on. I'm going to suggest they do some troubleshooting and try to resolve the issue rather than just clear the code so the light goes off for a couple days. I'll post back once they have another chance to look at it. Needless to say.. this is really inconvenient. I think I have buyers remorse.
Unread 10-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #41
atxmoses

*Recall* http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2014...r-defects.html

Maybe this recall will fix all these isseus? I sure hope so.
Unread 10-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #42
baseball95
1979 CJ7 

One would think Jeep would care ?
They obviously don't. Too many owners having similar issues.
Nice vehicle + Lousy service = Chrysler + Fiat
baseball95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #43
atxmoses

I dropped it off at the dealership yesterday at 10:30 AM and the service writer checked the code and it was the same EVAP issue that he reset last Friday. He said since it happened twice in three days it might really be an issue. I called them today around noon and left a message for the service writer I worked with yesterday. A different service writer called me back and said he was working my issue and wanted me to tell him if he should transfer it back to the original guy I worked with. How should I know?? I guess I'm just going to have to learn to love the check engine light...
Unread 10-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #44
joestref
2011 WK 

Try another dealership.
joestref is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #45
atxmoses

The dealership called me on Thursday and told me, "your vehicle is ready." which translates to "we think we know what is wrong but don't have the part in stock so you will have to be inconvenienced again by bringing in your vehicle for the third time to solve the check engine, gas cap on a cap-less vehicle, evap issue." I've dealt with Ford dealerships before and it's a totally different experience than Dodge/Jeep. It's what I would call professional. The experience a a Dodge/Jeep dealership service dept. feels much more like a fly by night operation. Just my observations. If you considering a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee you might want to prepare yourself for a frustrating experience with the vehicle and service.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.