Dash issues w/check engine light - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Dash issues w/check engine light

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #16
boyvan
2012 WK 

One of my cousin has a franchised food shop and I know that he has to follow a strict protocol and yearly inspection, etc. I would think car manufacturers would have similar setup since dealership experience plays a key role to bring repeat customers/business. Obviously there is a big difference between food and cars but isn't dealership similar to a franchise? Just curious....anyone know?

Unread 04-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #17
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Dealers are independent and each may have a slightly different business model.

The dealer techs that do or supervise warranty work must be certified by chrysler (pass a test).

Some customers get evaluation cards which count for and against each dealer. Chrysler has been known to not return as much hold back to dealers with subpar performance. A 5 star dealer is one that participates and agrees to these rules. It is not in some dealer's business model, however.

As with most jobs that are not life threatening, a tech may have had a bad week and miss a prep step on a few cars. The tech typically gets fired if it happens again.

Chrysler does do spot checks, but they are rarely a surprise. Costs big bucks to keep close watch.

Franchised food shops have a different business model.
Unread 04-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #18
zinc

Thanks PanzerPug. That is a little too much coincidence for me. We have decided to go ahead and order a Grand Cherokee Overland. But given our experience and now yours, it will not be through Fair Oaks Jeep. Thank you for posting the update and giving me a laugh on a rainy Monday.
zinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #19
PanzerPug

Glad I could help, zinc. Hope your new Overland is problem-free.
PanzerPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 06:53 PM   #20
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Best Jeep Dealership in the DC area

Is Manassas Jeep. Fair Oaks has never had a good rep. Dulles is awful and the sales manager is a crook. Ourisman and DAR are even worse.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 07:48 AM   #21
nyrhockey23

Zinc - what Infiniti sedan do you have? i'm considering a G37 4-dr (used, probably '09-'10) and would like to know from current owner how they hold up having never owned one or known anyone who has.
nyrhockey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:54 AM   #22
zinc

Dave2002ti - Can you please explain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti View Post
Is Manassas Jeep. Fair Oaks has never had a good rep. Dulles is awful and the sales manager is a crook. Ourisman and DAR are even worse.
Looking at purchasing/ordering from Dulles Jeep. 3% below invoice. They just moved into new building in Leesburg. Can you explain a bit more why they are awful and why the sales mgr is a crook? Thanks! Next dealers are Criswell and Tate in Frederick.
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #23
zinc

Infiniti G37X

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrhockey23 View Post
Zinc - what Infiniti sedan do you have? i'm considering a G37 4-dr (used, probably '09-'10) and would like to know from current owner how they hold up having never owned one or known anyone who has.
I have a 2010 4 door Infiniti G37X with 62,000 miles. I had an infiniti FX befoer this with 100,000 miles. Both were loaded with every available option. I sold the FX as the warranty ended and I was scared that I might have to fix some or part of the electronic options/features. BIG mistake! I bought a new Jeep Liberty Diesel (for fuel economy) and it was a huge piece of crap. I should have kept it. So I went back to Infiniti for the G37X.

Bottom line is they do seem to hold up well. I have had no major issues and minor issues were just some squeaking at the rear speaker, which the dealer took care of. I'd have no problems selling my car to a good friend of mine, as I trust it will provide years of reliability. I just tire of the same thing after 3 years. (Hope I'm not a glutton for punishment by going back to Jeep!)
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #24
nyrhockey23

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinc View Post
I have a 2010 4 door Infiniti G37X with 62,000 miles. I had an infiniti FX befoer this with 100,000 miles. Both were loaded with every available option. I sold the FX as the warranty ended and I was scared that I might have to fix some or part of the electronic options/features. BIG mistake! I bought a new Jeep Liberty Diesel (for fuel economy) and it was a huge piece of crap. I should have kept it. So I went back to Infiniti for the G37X.

Bottom line is they do seem to hold up well. I have had no major issues and minor issues were just some squeaking at the rear speaker, which the dealer took care of. I'd have no problems selling my car to a good friend of mine, as I trust it will provide years of reliability. I just tire of the same thing after 3 years. (Hope I'm not a glutton for punishment by going back to Jeep!)
Thanks. Repair costs def scare me with these luxury brands, but the G37 is so damn nice looking and seems big enough to fit child seats in the back without having to drive with my knees against the steering wheel.
nyrhockey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #25
zinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrhockey23 View Post
Thanks. Repair costs def scare me with these luxury brands, but the G37 is so damn nice looking and seems big enough to fit child seats in the back without having to drive with my knees against the steering wheel.
Don't sweat too much on Infiniti repair costs. Remember, you can take iot to a Nissan dealer. They may not wash it or offer the premium service (or purchase experience) as an Infiniti dealer, but neither do they charge for it. :-)

Remember that the G37 is based on the same (but lengthened) chassis as the 370Z. This is a fun car. Heavy, but fun.
Unread 04-30-2013, 01:01 PM   #26
Trailguide
2012 WK 

I have a perfectly running 2012 Overland hemi. I love it. It pulls my camper with ease and levels itself. It is great off-road. The market price is great. It could be simply a loose fuse. I had one at 15 miles, gave a buss failure, fixed in 5 minutes.
Trailguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #27
amc2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinc View Post
After 2 Chrysler vehicles with electrical problems that caused us to get rid of them early, I was willing to give ChryCo another shot with all of the improved quality that I read about and the revamping of the GC manufacturing plant. That said, the '06 Liberty and '07 Town & Country, both deep red, were fresh in my mind.

So, with less than 200 miles on the odometer, I start up the Overland and start driving on a local highway and the same issue that I had with the Liberty numerous times starts with the safety nanny systems failing. I pull over, kill the motor and restart a few times until now the speedometer isn't working either. Most of the dash is now not functioning. Meet the wife for lunch and after lunch everything save for the check engine light has cleared.

I had left a voice mail for the salesman, but he didn't get the message and was surprised when I got to the dealership. He started it and the check engine light was still on. So, I won't be purchasing this particular OVerland GC. As I have not read anything about this issue - save for the svc 4x4 thread found here - I am wondering if it really was a fluke and an isolated issue or will more problems be reported with this dash? I really liked it and the Deep Cherry Red color, although I may stay away from it as red Chryslers seem to be a bad omen to me. Dealer is supposed to call me when they find out what the cause was.
I hate to send someone over to another forum, but if you go to jeep garage, WK2 and look for a thread called "2014 GC Totally $#@% dead" in the troubleshooting section, that's me. Don't make the same mistake I did. I have a 2002 Wrangler I bought last year. I bought it with 100K on it, it was a one-owner and I figured I'd get one of the good ones that way. It was true -- the thing has had one issue in a year. I love it. It has been a rock. I grew up driving Jeeps and this was my reunion and it has been everything I hoped Jeep ownership would be.

So when our Acura TSX SportWagon was involved in an accident, totaled (guy ran a red light and we hit him at 50mph), for some god awful reason we decided that yeah, Chrysler has had some good press about reliability lately so why not pull the trigger on a 2014 GC limited?

In 338 miles, it has died IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD twice. Today was the second time. My wife and 5-year-old were on the way to a doctor's appointment and suddenly the dash went blank, then started "bong-ing," the wipers went on and she called me in a total panic, said she was afraid and didn't know what to do. I said get to a safe place and turn it off. Didn't happen in time and it died in the middle of a VERY busy road. She managed to get it on again and pulled it to a safe-ER area (still not safe). I was 30 miles away, totally helpless. At least Chrysler assistance had our information in the system this time. When it happened to me a week earlier (popped out of gear, then died at night in the middle of the road -- so dead I COULD NOT EVEN TURN MY FLASHERS on -- in the middle of the road), they didn't have my information, no VIN #. I paid out of pocket, and Chrysler corporate reimbursed me (which I was very thankful for).

I spoke to corporate AGAIN after today's incident, and they are goodcop/badcop-ing me. Corporate in Michigan has been sympathetic, said sure I can see why you wouldn't want this vehicle back again and don't feel safe in it after it died IN THE ROAD twice now, but it's apparently up to the district manager in NY whether or not they can swap it out with an identical one (which is all I was asking for). I don't trust this with my wife and child anymore. So I get a phone call -- the district manager says no way in hell will they swap it out, this is a "simple warranty issue that they will fix," and what's the big deal? It's under warranty and you've compensated him for the two weeks of hassle. I was LIVID. COMPENSATED?? My wife and child missed a doctor's appointment. This vehicle DIED in the middle of the ROAD (just as it had done for me a week earlier). Dead. This is not an AC malfunction or radio that doesn't work or tailgate that's misaligned. The damn thing has DIED TWICE while DRIVING and I DO NOT TRUST IT.

Well, all corporate can say is they have a record of it and they'll keep trying to fix it and I have to be more proactive with the dealer because the "district manager" in NY -- one Russell Ramone -- has decided that putting my family in jeopardy and subjecting my family to an experiment to see if this DANGEROUS vehicle has been fixed yet is more important than swapping it out for me and seeing what they can learn from this vehicle.

Yeah, this sounds like I'm a lunatic most likely, but if you read the thread you'll hopefully see I have been MUCH MORE PATIENT than many others would have been - put yourself in my shoes and think about what you do to keep your wife and children safe. This is why I bought Saabs and Acuras before this.

So in short, do yourself a favor. CONSIDER YOURSELF LUCKY that you got to test drive this and SEE what is wrong with these vehicles before you committed yourself to them.

My wife and I LOVE the vehicle itself, other than the issues, and perhaps we are insane for even SUGGESTING that they swap it out for another. We should just ask for a refund, but we are hoping that the odds are in our favor this time and just want one that works. But this one? Well, we are terrified of it at this point. Would never even consider taking it on a trip lest we get stranded or worse.

Our next experiment should be coming up in a few days thanks to Mr. Ramone once the dealer has tried to FIAT. I hope it doesn't kill one of us. If it does, and you hear about a firey crash caused by some vehicle on the Long Island Expressway that was stopped in the middle of the highway and didn't have its flashers on, you'll know why they weren't on and you'll know what happened.

Last edited by amc2002; 04-30-2013 at 07:18 PM..
amc2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #28
zinc

I know first hand the fear of the car dying in the middle of a busy road during rush hour. In fact, it was rush hour on I-495 - the beltway around Washington, DC in another Chrysler product. Numerous times my (at the time) new 1983 Dodge Shelby Charger kept blowing fusable links. The added fear of it happening to wife and kids is even worse!

What are the fixes that they supposedly did?

[QUOTE=amc2002;15370925]I hate to send someone over to another forum, but if you go to jeep garage, WK2 and look for a thread called "2014 GC Totally $#@% dead" in the troubleshooting section, that's me. Don't make the same mistake I did.
Well, all corporate can say is they have a record of it and they'll keep trying to fix it and I have to be more proactive with the dealer because the "district manager" in NY -- one Russell Ramone -- has decided that putting my family in jeopardy and subjecting my family to an experiment to see if this DANGEROUS vehicle has been fixed yet is more important than swapping it out for me and seeing what they can learn from this vehicle.

Yeah, this sounds like I'm a lunatic most likely, but if you read the thread you'll hopefully see I have been MUCH MORE PATIENT than many others would have been - put yourself in my shoes and think about what you do to keep your wife and children safe. This is why I bought Saabs and Acuras before this.

So in short, do yourself a favor. CONSIDER YOURSELF LUCKY that you got to test drive this and SEE what is wrong with these vehicles before you committed yourself to them. QUOTE]
Unread 05-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #29
MrSpeed
2012 WK 

Say, Lee, can you provide AMC2002 with any help? Sounds like he could use it and he is certainly working with the dealer. Hate to lose a Jeep lover.

Thanks.
MrSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #30
PanzerPug

UPDATE FROM MY LAST UPDATE:

Well, the next morning after I posted that my 2014 Summit was all better, the Engine Malfunction Light turned on again as soon as I pulled out of the driveway.

I called the dealership and they came to my office again, picked it up again, and left me the same loaner I had the day before.

They called that evening and said the diagnostic kicked out a different error code in the EVAP system. They wanted to keep it overnight while they contacted Chrysler tech support for help with the problem.....

Wednesday (yesterday) evening I called to check on things and spent over 30 on the phone with the dealer shop foreman who explained in great detail, in as much layman's terms as he could, what was going on with my car. Basically, they needed to do a "smoke check", check the fuel "cap" for problems, and other things I can't remember, all of which Chrysler suggested they do. He further explained that some of the stuff they needed to check, mainly the "electronics" would need to be done but, as it was the end of the day, it would have to wait today. So, my car spent night number 2 at the dealer.

This morning, I drove to the dealership to appear in person to make sure I wasn't being jerked around. I've never dealt with this dealer before but have heard mixed things about them. I met the service manager and we went straight to the bay where my car was being worked on by the shop foreman. Everything seemed like it was as represented to me on the phone, so after about 30 minutes or so, I was ready to leave. As I was walking out, the service manager stopped me and said they found the problem; a poorly crimped wire in the electronics of the EVAP system. They showed it to me and fixed it right in front of me. They said they would need to test things just to make sure, get the car back together, and then give it a road test.

I got a call today at 4pm from the service manager saying my car was ready, all fixed, passed diagnostics, did just fine on the road, and had a full tank of gas as a courtesy from the dealer. I went and picked it up, all looked great from a visual walkaround check. I took the long way home and after 40 miles, no problems whatsoever.

I hope this ends my problems with the first Jeep/Chrysler vehicle I have ever purchased. I don't think I could have been treated any better by the dealership and the service department, but I am still apprehensive about my car. I hope things stay problem-free.
PanzerPug is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.