Dash issues w/check engine light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Dash issues w/check engine light

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
zinc

Question Dash issues w/check engine light

So, looking at a new Grand Cherokee to replace my current Infiniti sedan. As I drive a lot of miles to and from work, comfort is key, and I was able to take a '14 Overland on an overnight test to see if it was comfortable. (Fair Oaks Jeep in Chantilly, VA was very accomodating!) If all was well, we'd sign the papers on it and own it.

After 2 Chrysler vehicles with electrical problems that caused us to get rid of them early, I was willing to give ChryCo another shot with all of the improved quality that I read about and the revamping of the GC manufacturing plant. That said, the '06 Liberty and '07 Town & Country, both deep red, were fresh in my mind.

So, with less than 200 miles on the odometer, I start up the Overland and start driving on a local highway and the same issue that I had with the Liberty numerous times starts with the safety nanny systems failing. I pull over, kill the motor and restart a few times until now the speedometer isn't working either. Most of the dash is now not functioning. Meet the wife for lunch and after lunch everything save for the check engine light has cleared.

I had left a voice mail for the salesman, but he didn't get the message and was surprised when I got to the dealership. He started it and the check engine light was still on. So, I won't be purchasing this particular OVerland GC. As I have not read anything about this issue - save for the svc 4x4 thread found here - I am wondering if it really was a fluke and an isolated issue or will more problems be reported with this dash? I really liked it and the Deep Cherry Red color, although I may stay away from it as red Chryslers seem to be a bad omen to me. Dealer is supposed to call me when they find out what the cause was.

zinc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 05:52 AM   #2
JeepCares

Did they call you?
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 06:16 AM   #3
zinc

Not yet.
Unread 03-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
MileHighBuckeye
Jeeps, Dogs and Beer.

2014 JK Wrangler 

Bad Gas?

Could be the gas the dealership threw in the Jeep. We just bought a '13 Overland from my buddy's dealership here in Colorado (he's a service writer), and he said people bring their WK2s in all the time for check engine lights that turn out to be bad gas. Namely, King Soopers stations. He advised us to only use Shell, Conoco or Flying J.
MileHighBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
zinc

I hope not. Since I put almost 200 miles on it, I had added fuel from a gas station that I have used many times without issue.
Unread 03-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinc View Post
So, looking at a new Grand Cherokee to replace my current Infiniti sedan. As I drive a lot of miles to and from work, comfort is key, and I was able to take a '14 Overland on an overnight test to see if it was comfortable. (Fair Oaks Jeep in Chantilly, VA was very accomodating!)
Dealer is supposed to call me when they find out what the cause was.
Is Fair Oaks working with you?
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 08:58 PM   #7
zinc

Have not heard anything since I gave them their Jeep back on Sunday. I'm trying to decide if it is worth the chance on another Chrysler product given this on top of the T&C and Liberty we previously owned.
Unread 03-20-2013, 05:18 PM   #8
Wolfman2332
2013 XJ Cherokee 

That's truly a bummer. I bought my Summit a month ago, and 2,000 miles later I can say it is fantastic - everything works perfectly, and I think I made the right choice. It has been the best buying experience I have had in a new car - ever. And that covers at least 5 NEW cars. Usually I buy used. This car has exceeded my expectations in every way possible, and the dealer did a great job.
Wolfman2332 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #9
zinc

UPDATE - According to the sales guy, the service department looked into the issue and there was something that was done incorrectly or missed during the dealer Pre-Delivery Inspection at dealer prep and this was NOT a manufacturer defect. Now my question is exactly what was it that the dealer missed that caused this dash malfunction and check engine light after 100 miles? More as I get answers, but the more I look at other vehicles, I really want to get a Overland GC or maybe wait for the 2014 production version TrailHawk.
Unread 03-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #10
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The dash is on the CAN bus along with several other modules. Thats how most of the communication between the central computer and modules happen, via digital messages (like email) over the shared bus. A flakey module or loose connection can raise havoc on the bus (noise that corrupts data). Dunno if that's your issue, but is a story that fits...

Did the dealer tell you what the check engine fault code was?
Unread 03-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #11
zinc

Unfortunately, the sales manager did not offer up the service code that was found and I did not think to ask. The manager said that this particular Grand Cherokee was taken from a technicians service bay before the technician had completed the pre delivery inspection. They have since sold this Grand Cherokee to someone else. Upon questioning the manager why the check engine light would come on and the dashboard malfunction after 100 miles he could only offer up that a loose fuse might have been missed in the pre delivery inspection or something else was missed.

At this point I am Not sure if I am ready to trust Chrysler electronics on such a vehicle again. This last statement is based on experience with my wife's Town and Country minivan, Eagle premier, a Jeep Liberty, and a Dodge Shelby that all had electronic bugs.

If we decide to trust Chrysler again, the Grand Cherokee Overland model or possibly the 2014 trailhawk is at the top of our list.
Unread 03-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #12
ourlee
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ng.
Unread 03-25-2013, 11:28 AM   #13
atinari
1999 TJ Wrangler 

my check engine light came on and it was on for about 3 weeks. On my way to the dealership it suddenly went off.
atinari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #14
PanzerPug

My check engine light came on today on my new '14 Summit. I have about 550 miles on it. I filled the tank 2 days ago at a place where I have never had problems with gas quality; that was the first gas I had put in it since purchasing the vehicle.

Taking it to the dealer Monday. I hope it is not a big deal. I wonder if the capless fuel tank could be an issue?
PanzerPug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #15
PanzerPug

UPDATE:

Just got my new Summit back from the dealer. They called me to let me know that the problem was traced to some error codes (one involving the fuel system and one involving the radio) that were as a result of the dealer not fully completing the post-shipping/pre-sale prep work on the Summit. The same explaination zinc got from his issue posted above.

I ordered the vehicle and, remembering zinc's situation, I asked my dealer from which dealership they got my Summit. Guess what they said?

Fair Oaks Jeep in Chantilly, Virginia.

Coincidence? ::cue "Twilight Zone" music::

Car seems to be all better now. If I have any further problems with the engine light, or anything else, I'll post them.
PanzerPug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.