Dash Bubble - 2012 Overland - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Dash Bubble - 2012 Overland

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 04-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
SebbyOverland
2012 WK 

Dash Bubble - 2012 Overland

Hi All, a couple of weeks ago noticed my defroster vent startng to raise in the middle , after feeling around noticed a bubble had formed on the leather dash pushing it upwards around the edge, also a few other smaller air bubbles in various spots of the dash. Dealer is replacing the whole dash tomorrow with a new one, wondering if anyone has had this done? I know its a big job so a little worried however given the car is less than a year old I did not want this to get worse over time, also getting the rattle in the pano roof fixed while its there, any stories on what I should expect? The dealer has been really good to work with and have done a few things with no issues in the past that should have been caught at the factory, any input would be great.
Thanks

SebbyOverland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
jacko15
2014 WK 

I know both of those fixes are major tear apart and put together repairs. I've heard that if the techs know what they're doing, you should be fine. Please let us all know how it works out. Neither issue is all that rare, so the knowledge base is there for the techs.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
mrcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebbyOverland View Post
Hi All, a couple of weeks ago noticed my defroster vent startng to raise in the middle , after feeling around noticed a bubble had formed on the leather dash pushing it upwards around the edge, also a few other smaller air bubbles in various spots of the dash. Dealer is replacing the whole dash tomorrow with a new one, wondering if anyone has had this done? I know its a big job so a little worried however given the car is less than a year old I did not want this to get worse over time, also getting the rattle in the pano roof fixed while its there, any stories on what I should expect? The dealer has been really good to work with and have done a few things with no issues in the past that should have been caught at the factory, any input would be great.
Thanks
did they fix the dash okay?
mrcee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
James722

How did this workout for you? I have the same problem.
James722 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 01:21 PM   #5
spinxt

I had the same problem on my 2011 Overland. Dealer said it was a PITA job, but the replacement looks great and I haven't had a problem since. We'll see what happens next summer when it's baked in the sun.

It's funny to me when I read about the same problems others have had. My dealer makes me feel like every time I have a problem that is something unique that they (or Chrysler) have never seen before.
spinxt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
James722

Lol...They just told me that I'm the first customer to come in with this problem.
James722 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
spinxt

Quote:
Originally Posted by James722
Lol...They just told me that I'm the first customer to come in with this problem.
Me too. I'll buy that in the case that it's the first time that specific dealer saw it....my dealer told me that they called Chrysler and there were no reports of the issue and I have read several with the problem on the web forums.
Unread 11-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
GCbubba
2014 WK 

happened on my 2011 Overland. Warranty repair - replaced the entire top dash panel.
GCbubba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2013, 07:17 AM   #9
Butterjeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinxt View Post
I had the same problem on my 2011 Overland. Dealer said it was a PITA job, but the replacement looks great and I haven't had a problem since. We'll see what happens next summer when it's baked in the sun.

It's funny to me when I read about the same problems others have had. My dealer makes me feel like every time I have a problem that is something unique that they (or Chrysler) have never seen before.
Dealerships lie. I bought a quad cab Hemi 1500 4x4 in Aug of 2008 when all hell broke loose in the economy. The dealership was empty and there was discount after discount offered. I asked how sales were going and was told it was their best month yet. I bought a nice Big Horn packaged pickup for 50% of msrp.
Unread 11-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #10
mrcee

Dealer is replacing my dash 2012 overland this Tuesday dec 3 said a couple of days. Mine had same problems started around the defroster on the right side and happened on real hot days we had, then the whole dash started bubbling.
mrcee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2014, 04:55 PM   #11
Logansam

I had the same issue with my dash. Hard to believe given the cost of the vehicle. My dealer told me the cost will be upwards of 2k and it wasn't covered by them. I have escalated to Jeep NA, and so far they are working with me. They may cover 2k...not sure yet. If you have not done so you should call jeep at 877-426-5337 to report the problem.
Logansam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2014, 08:37 PM   #12
rudeney
2014 WK 

When we traded the 2011 Limited for the 2014 Overland, the new one had to be transferred from another lot (same dealer, different location) so they gave us a 2012 Overland loaner to drive home that night. The dash on it was very bubbled between the glass and center stack, just to the right of the instrument cowl. It almost looked like the leather shrunk there and lifted off the dash.

When we went back the next day to pickup our new Overland, we found some small dimples, sort of "pock" marks in the leather dash. They dealer was great (Benchmark in BHM). The service manager took photos and said they would replace it. It took a few weeks to get the part in, but they took care of it. It was a two-day job. When I mentioned the bubbled dash on the loaner, he said they had seen a few instances of that, but not many, and it was covered under warranty. I would say that if this happened out of warranty, I'd probably find a good interior shop to fix it without actually replacing the dash itself. I've seen some amazing repairs done on leather and interior trim done by good repair shops.
rudeney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2014, 08:42 PM   #13
13ovsummit
2013 WK 

Any explanations as to why the bubbles/dimples are appearing? So far I see no deformations on the dash of my 2013, and I've had it for almost 2 years now ..
13ovsummit is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2014, 07:18 AM   #14
spinxt

There's really only a couple explanations. Either they are using a poor quality glue, or the leather wasn't pre shrunk.

I had the same problem in my 2011. Luckily my dealer replaced under warranty. They got Chrysler involved because mine was one of the first cases. I told them it was going to be a big issue and they laughed at me.
Unread 10-17-2014, 11:17 AM   #15
JeepingNet
2008 JK Wrangler 

I just bought a 2011 yesterday from the dealership and it has this problem.. I should have gotten them to fix it before I bought it..

It has 47,000 miles.. think they will cover it? I know I just need to check but wondering if I'm being unreasonable or it is something I should fight/expect...

This is my first.. nice car...

Never had the dealership fix or help in anything.. My past wranglers I just expected stuff like this dealt with it or upgraded.

Colin
ARB Bumper with Warn 9.5ti / synthetic rope
AEV Pintler wheels with Micky Thompson 315/75/17 MTZs
[url]http://www.jeeping.net[/url]
JeepingNet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.