Custom front bumper - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Custom front bumper

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 08-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
Jackal01

2012 WK 

Custom front bumper

So I have been researching bumpers for the WK2. So far the only one I have found is made by Uneek 4x4 in Australia.

http://www.uneek4x4.com.au/wk2-bull-bar-1/

Now the overall design is pretty decent. I am not much of a fan of the top bars. The price is also quite steep at $1999 (I believe this is pre-retail which they told me it will be another couple hundred once it goes on the market) then another $150 to ship from Australia. So I pretty much wrote them off since it would be near $2500 for a bumper.

For the past couple weeks I have been in communication with a local shop (in Houston) that does custom work for offroad vehicles. Today I went over for the first time for the guy, Dave, to see if it was something they could do and if he would be interested in making one for me but also possible production. I told him my price range is $1200-$1800. I am going to shoot for $1300-$1500. Now that is just the ballpark price range for mine, not a production model. He would be more inclined to make a "better" bumper if more people were interested. Not to say that it will be junk but obviously the more interest there is in one the more resources they can put into making an even better product. I walked around their shop and they have some great custom rigs and products. They are BRAVE Motorsports http://www.bravemotorsports.com/

My goals for this bumper are to allow for complete protection, mount for a winch, fog and aftermarket light cutouts/mounting tabs. And possibly a small, center stinger to further protect the radiator like on the Armada below. Dave does not want to do aluminum because he hasn't worked with it enough in his 15+ years in doing this stuff. 3/16" steel is what would mostly be used although he said 1/4" could be used in the areas that could use more strength.

Exactly what I want design wise. I do not want it to stick out more than 3-4 inches from the grille. There is really no reason for it to since a winch can fit behind the stock bumper.

CAD drawings of the Uneek one.

The point of this thread is to see if anyone else was interested in having a bumper made which could possibly make it more affordable. I am shooting for no more than $1300 for a production model and $1500 for myself.

Discuss...

'12 Laredo V6 ORA1|Terra Grappler 265-70-17|MB TKO 17x8.5|Silverstar Ultra low beams|Mopar Front and Rear WK2 slush mats|RRO 2.5" lift
BWoody extended sway bar links|K&N 77 Series Intake|Gibson Exhaust | Viair OBA | RRO Combo Winch mount| Q9000S winch| KC ProSport HID Hilites

Items for sale. See my thread for pictures. PM for details.

K&N 77 series cold air intake

Cobra 75 CB radio
Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Not sure if I would trust

a shop that doesnt have any experience in aluminum that allegedly does custom work for off road vehicles. They may do good work but aluminum for off road vehicles has only been around since hey started running the Baja 1000.

What is estimated weight of the bumper w/o lights and the winch???
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
Jackal01

2012 WK 

I was looking at their work today in the shop. From what I have seen their work is top notch. It is still a long time off until I pull the trigger. Now...I said "hasn't worked with it enough" not "doesn't have any experience". May be splitting hairs there but he has worked with it but not enough in the bumper world. I was looking at a custom race rig they have in there and it has an aluminum roll cage that they made.

Unsure on the weight. They will call me back in a couple weeks to come back in and look at the bumper unmounted. They are working on getting the factory drawings/blueprints of the entire front end. I was going to talk about specifics once we get to that point.

'12 Laredo V6 ORA1|Terra Grappler 265-70-17|MB TKO 17x8.5|Silverstar Ultra low beams|Mopar Front and Rear WK2 slush mats|RRO 2.5" lift
BWoody extended sway bar links|K&N 77 Series Intake|Gibson Exhaust | Viair OBA | RRO Combo Winch mount| Q9000S winch| KC ProSport HID Hilites

Cobra 75 CB radio
Unread 08-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
fwdjeep
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal01 View Post
So I have been researching bumpers for the WK2. So far the only one I have found is made by Uneek 4x4 in Australia.

Now the overall design is pretty decent. I am not much of a fan of the top bars. The price is also quite steep at $1999 (I believe this is pre-retail which they told me it will be another couple hundred once it goes on the market) then another $150 to ship from Australia. So I pretty much wrote them off since it would be near $2500 for a bumper.

For the past couple weeks I have been in communication with a local shop (in Houston) that does custom work for offroad vehicles. Today I went over for the first time for the guy, Dave, to see if it was something they could do and if he would be interested in making one for me but also possible production. I told him my price range is $1200-$1800. I am going to shoot for $1300-$1500. Now that is just the ballpark price range for mine, not a production model. He would be more inclined to make a "better" bumper if more people were interested. Not to say that it will be junk but obviously the more interest there is in one the more resources they can put into making an even better product. I walked around their shop and they have some great custom rigs and products. They are BRAVE Motorsports http://www.bravemotorsports.com/

My goals for this bumper are to allow for complete protection, mount for a winch, fog and aftermarket light cutouts/mounting tabs. And possibly a small, center stinger to further protect the radiator like on the Armada below. Dave does not want to do aluminum because he hasn't worked with it enough in his 15+ years in doing this stuff. 3/16" steel is what would mostly be used although he said 1/4" could be used in the areas that could use more strength.

Exactly what I want design wise. I do not want it to stick out more than 3-4 inches from the grille. There is really no reason for it to since a winch can fit behind the stock bumper.

The point of this thread is to see if anyone else was interested in having a bumper made which could possibly make it more affordable. I am shooting for no more than $1300 for a production model and $1500 for myself.

Discuss...
There is another bar in Australia
East Coast Bull bars its an aliminium bar looks better then te one from W A but also quite dear
Australia
fwdjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
Jackal01

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwdjeep View Post
There is another bar in Australia
East Coast Bull bars its an aliminium bar looks better then te one from W A but also quite dear
I am not quite sure what you said at the end but the one you mention has been posted already and I think it is absolutely hideous. I would never consider that to be installed on my GC. Ever. The ones mounted on the Tacoma and Armada are what I am looking for and possibly other people here that want better frontal protection without the "Overland/back country" look.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/.../#post15743085

I know bumpers have been discussed before but none of the threads really dealt with actually working on a US company to work on it. Obviously the demand is low but if the word gets out it could start something.

Cobra 75 CB radio
Unread 08-04-2013, 12:30 AM   #6
Ungerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal01

I am not quite sure what you said at the end but the one you mention has been posted already and I think it is absolutely hideous. I would never consider that to be installed on my GC. Ever. The ones mounted on the Tacoma and Armada are what I am looking for and possibly other people here that want better frontal protection without the "Overland/back country" look.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/.../#post15743085

I know bumpers have been discussed before but none of the threads really dealt with actually working on a US company to work on it. Obviously the demand is low but if the word gets out it could start something.
The one i put on is the ECB
Ungerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2013, 06:33 AM   #7
ryangler1997

I dont mind the Uneek4x4 bar but I think it sits to low. I would be interested in an alternative that sits higher and hugs the front of the car I would also be keen on a pre-runner style bar
ryangler1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2013, 07:42 AM   #8
Jackal01

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangler1997 View Post
I dont mind the Uneek4x4 bar but I think it sits to low. I would be interested in an alternative that sits higher and hugs the front of the car I would also be keen on a pre-runner style bar
Exactly. The first thing I thought of when I saw the Uneek 4x4 bumper was Bubba Blue's bottom lip from Forrest Gump. A front skid (possibly pre runner) will also be talked about.

Cobra 75 CB radio
Unread 08-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Just FYI

Many years ago back in the 80's FIA outlawed aluminum for use in roll bars, cages etc after a few deaths etc. Not sure the current status of this rule in FIA.

My off roading is trails and farm roads and across fields etc. I have been stuck in the mud once.

Any idea how much your bumper design might weigh and the effect of the weight of the bumper, brackets, mounting hardware, winch and lights on weight distribution and the total weight of your GC. I like the balance and handling of my 2012 V6 Laredo X since its very neutral and its ability to hit apexes and my track out points when I am hustling it down a two lane road.
Unread 08-04-2013, 09:40 AM   #10
Jackal01

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti View Post
Many years ago back in the 80's FIA outlawed aluminum for use in roll bars, cages etc after a few deaths etc. Not sure the current status of this rule in FIA.

My off roading is trails and farm roads and across fields etc. I have been stuck in the mud once.

Any idea how much your bumper design might weigh and the effect of the weight of the bumper, brackets, mounting hardware, winch and lights on weight distribution and the total weight of your GC. I like the balance and handling of my 2012 V6 Laredo X since its very neutral and its ability to hit apexes and my track out points when I am hustling it down a two lane road.
Again, I am not sure of the weight. I still have to choose a winch and the lights. The main offroading I will do consists of driving out of state to mountain forest trails. I dont really care for mud but if I have to go through it I will. I am quite sure it will be less than the two posted above.

Sent from my underground lair.

Cobra 75 CB radio
Unread 08-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #11
Jackal01

2012 WK 

Most likely I will be going with a synthetic line winch to save on weight. Quadratecs 9000lb synthetic line winch is 74 pounds. The Warn 8000 synthetic line (their most basic one) is 64 pounds. Tough choice!! Dave told me he wasn't a Warn salesman but man...he would not stop talking me into one!! I told him I was looking seriously into the Quadratec ones. Although I like to buy USA items I also like to try out new items and so far the QT lines of winches has been reviewing well. As for lights...I am thinking 2 sets. One set for wide/flood and the other set for distance. I want the cut outs in the bumper for the factory fogs (or aftermarket) and then a cut out for the wide/flood offroad lights. The long range ones will go on top around the winch area. More than likely I will go with KC Hilites Daylighters (130w/100w options, 6" round). I am just not a fan of LED lights for use as driving lights. The beam is just weird and my eyes just cannot see as well. Now, I may use them as area lighting mounted to a roof rack or something. I prefer halogen or HID. Plus the KCs just have the "old school" look to them.

Cobra 75 CB radio
Unread 08-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #12
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Do they make HD coils for the front of a WKII yet? You will need them.

I run a ARB front bumper on my Jeep and it's made out of 1/8" HSS(equal to 3/16"-1/4" plate steel) and weighs 98lbs alone,then add a winch and lights and your at 175lbs if you run syn winch rope.I've seen poeple put them on stock Jeeps and lift coils with no more rating then OE coils and they sag 2" off the bat and get worse in a year.So a 3/16"-1/4" plate steel bumper would most likey start in the 125-150lbs range before adding a winch and such.
Unread 08-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #13
Jackal01

2012 WK 

Good to know; comparing the weight and all. I have not researched HD coils although it was going to be my tentative plan post-bumper.

What model Jeep were those bumpers on? I am curious as to compare what components were being used in the suspension.

Cobra 75 CB radio
Unread 08-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #14
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal01 View Post
Good to know; comparing the weight and all. I have not researched HD coils although it was going to be my tentative plan post-bumper.

What model Jeep were those bumpers on? I am curious as to compare what components were being used in the suspension.
I'm referring to KJ's.You'd be fine I think if you have that air ride but non-air ride you'd sag fast.OME makes 4 different rate coils for the KJ's,light duty which is rated 50lbs more then stock coils,medium duty which is 75lbs over stock,heavy duty which is 100lbs more then stock(most common used and made to handle there bumper),and then the CRD coils which are rated 90lbs more then stock CRD front coils but 200lbs more then stock Gas KJ front coils.Many modded KJ's with alot of armor and heavy front steel bumpers have been going to the 500lbs rated OME CRD coils just to keep lift.

Granted I'm SFA but use front coils rated for a V8 ZJ and my rear coils are for a FJ80/FJ100 just to keep up my 6000lbs Jeep.
Unread 08-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #15
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

New front springs

If you have the V6 check the spring rates for the V8 and the diesel if you dont have the air suspension. Might also check if Bilstein has come out with shocks yet for our GCs

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.