Cupping Tires on 2013 WK2 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Cupping Tires on 2013 WK2

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 10-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #16
LibGrandCher
2012 WK 

Man "cupping " sucks!.

My old sports car had tires that cupped.
Dealer said it was due to the sporty camber of the wheels.

That sound was awful.

I feel your pain.

LibGrandCher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #17
hemispin
2014 WK 

For the record, I bought one set of Falkens, and after only 10k miles they were making more noise than super swampers. I check pressures regularly, alignment was in check, and the tires were rotated twice. I had the tire store buy them back at a pro-rated amount. I still lost my *** on that set, but the Toyos I got after that were awesome and didn't roar. I won't buy Falkens again.
hemispin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 05:32 AM   #18
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Camber

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibGrandCher View Post
Man "cupping " sucks!.

That sound was awful.

I feel your pain.
I used to have 90 325i set up for track days with over 2.5 degrees of negative camber front and rear and I never had a tire cup. I had interesting wear patterns since the car was also a daily driver. Never had any problems with winter tires on the car.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #19
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2013 JK Wrangler 

I read through the thread and didn't see if it's one tire cupping or multiple? It happens unfortunately; should be replaced under warranty. If it's multiple tires, then I'd lobby for a full swap to another brand.
DangFoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #20
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangFoo View Post
I read through the thread and didn't see if it's one tire cupping or multiple? It happens unfortunately; should be replaced under warranty. If it's multiple tires, then I'd lobby for a full swap to another brand.
Why would warranty cover uneven tire wear? That is the owners responsibility.
Unread 10-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #21
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Uneven tire wear and cupping may or may not be the same thing. Cupping can be caused by a manufacturing defect or can just be the result of cheap tires.
Cupping usually isnt the result of poor alignment.
Unread 10-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #22
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti View Post
Uneven tire wear and cupping may or may not be the same thing. Cupping can be caused by a manufacturing defect or can just be the result of cheap tires.
Cupping usually isnt the result of poor alignment.
Worn shocks and worn suspension parts are the main cause of tires cupping not a tire defect.
Unread 10-14-2013, 09:59 PM   #23
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002

Defective tire; the retailer also has coverage if bought at Discount/America's, Big O, etc.

He has low mileage on them; not as if he failed to rotate or follow balancing requirements/recommendations.
DangFoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 06:19 AM   #24
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

But

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Worn shocks and worn suspension parts are the main cause of tires cupping not a tire defect.
Suspension parts and shocks shouldnt be worn enough to cause issues on these GCs since very few of them are high mileage and even fewer see any real off road use.
Unread 10-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #25
stilljeepin
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTDJeep View Post
stilljeepin-do you happen to still have the 20s? If it were mine, I'd swap those back on and drive it for a bit to see if there is any cupping on those, then you know it is an alignment issue.
I sold the 20's but thanks to a buddy of mine was able to swap his OEM 20's on my jeep to prove it was the tires. Noise was gone with the OEM tires!
stilljeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #26
stilljeepin
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrdbym View Post
The set of tires you have is a loss at this point, but you can do a few things to attempt to correct the issue. First, I would make sure that you have the tires road force balanced, where there is weight placed on the spinning tire as it is balanced. This costs a little more but is worth it to eliminate vibration and pre-mature tire wear. You can also consider getting an alignment just to be sure that everything is to spec. I doubt there is anything wrong with your suspension assuming you haven't had any damage (hitting large debris, hitting curbs, etc.).
I wouldn't buy Falkens again, not because they are bad tires, but maybe they just don't agree with the spec of the GC. Some tires and vehicles simply don't match for whatever reason, and honestly I suspect this is the case with yours. I assume you have the correct pressures-according to the plaque in the driver’s door jamb, and NOT the sidewall of the tire.
Are all four cupped?

And what evidence do you have that Falkens are made any "cheaper" than any other mainstream tire brand?
Thanks, I'll ask about road force balancing. And yes, all 4 are cupped and cupped on inner and outer edges. Fronts had wear on the outer edge but I believe that was because of out of spec toe ( now corrected).
Also, my caster is out of spec. Would that affect the tire wear??
Unread 10-16-2013, 09:52 AM   #27
stilljeepin
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibGrandCher View Post
Man "cupping " sucks!.

That sound was awful.

I feel your pain.
What sux the most is not knowing the exact cause...dealer points to tires, tires point to alignment, alignment points to suspension...you get the idea.
I know now that its definitely the tires but I'm nervous to buy new tires and risk the same.
I'm planning on cooper discoverer AT3 this time. Seem to have too reviews!
Unread 10-16-2013, 10:02 AM   #28
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Cupping

Sorry negative camber doesnt cause cupping. Even running more 2.5 degrees of negative camber wont cause cupping. Been there and dont that. Yes you get increased wear on the inside edge of the tire.

If the alignment is in spec then the GC is not at fault and its the tires. Now that means you are purchasing quality tires ie not Falkens.

Besides looks do you really need A/Ts????. Before I purchased Coopers I would seriously take a look at A/T tires from Toyo, Bridgestone, Yokohama, and Michelin. Remember the contact patch of each tire is about the size of the area of your hand give or take. With tires except for Goodyear you get what you pay for.
Unread 10-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #29
stilljeepin
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti View Post
Sorry negative camber doesnt cause cupping. Even running more 2.5 degrees of negative camber wont cause cupping. Been there and dont that. Yes you get increased wear on the inside edge of the tire.

If the alignment is in spec then the GC is not at fault and its the tires. Now that means you are purchasing quality tires ie not Falkens.

Besides looks do you really need A/Ts????. Before I purchased Coopers I would seriously take a look at A/T tires from Toyo, Bridgestone, Yokohama, and Michelin. Remember the contact patch of each tire is about the size of the area of your hand give or take. With tires except for Goodyear you get what you pay for.
Thanks for the feedback on camber but what about caster?
As for "needing" AT's...not really but I do like the look of AT and I do go offroading a few times a year. Nothing crazy though.
I have considered the Toyo's and Bridgestone duelers but got a better price on the coopers. Should I be wary of the coopers? The price difference isn't a ton but I don't want to shell out more $$ than I need to
Unread 10-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #30
hemispin
2014 WK 

FWIW, I've owned Michelin, Toyo, Bridgestone, Goodyear, and Dunlop tires and have been satisfied with all of them. My wife's car has the original Hankook tires on it which seem to be doing just fine. I probably wouldn't buy Hankook as replacements, but for now they are doing the job.

The only disappointing brand I've ever purchased is Falken.
hemispin is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.