Cupping Tires on 2013 WK2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Cupping Tires on 2013 WK2

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #1
stilljeepin
1978 CJ5 

Cupping Tires on 2013 WK2

Hey all! I have an odd situation that I'm hoping someone can shed some light on. My Jeep is a 2013 WK2 overland and at 2k miles I changed out the tires from the stock 20's to stock 18's with 265/65 R18 Falken Wildpeaks. Everything was great up until a few months ago when I started getting noticeable road noise. I went through a few evolutions of troubleshooting but settled on the tires being cupped. My understanding is that cupping comes from either bad suspension, alignment or cheap tires. Falken's aren't cheap, I just had my alignment checked and the jeep only has 9k miles on it so I can't imagine the suspension is shot. Any thoughts? My concern is that I spend the $$ to swap out the tires only to be in this same scenario in a few months.

Any thoughts???

stilljeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 11:44 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Sorry to say the falkens are "cheaply" made and some tires just cup no matter what.The more aggressive the tread the sooner they need to be rotated.Even though your alignment is in spec it still can wear the tires funny.Driving style also greatly effects tire wear as does keeping the correct psi in them.
Unread 10-10-2013, 12:47 AM   #3
pwrdbym

The set of tires you have is a loss at this point, but you can do a few things to attempt to correct the issue. First, I would make sure that you have the tires road force balanced, where there is weight placed on the spinning tire as it is balanced. This costs a little more but is worth it to eliminate vibration and pre-mature tire wear. You can also consider getting an alignment just to be sure that everything is to spec. I doubt there is anything wrong with your suspension assuming you haven't had any damage (hitting large debris, hitting curbs, etc.).
I wouldn't buy Falkens again, not because they are bad tires, but maybe they just don't agree with the spec of the GC. Some tires and vehicles simply don't match for whatever reason, and honestly I suspect this is the case with yours. I assume you have the correct pressures-according to the plaque in the driverís door jamb, and NOT the sidewall of the tire.
Are all four cupped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Sorry to say the falkens are "cheaply" made
And what evidence do you have that Falkens are made any "cheaper" than any other mainstream tire brand?
pwrdbym is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 08:04 AM   #4
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Don't know any specifics about Falkens but once tires start cupping its tough to make corrections. They typically continue to cup regardless. Rotate them often, perhaps every 4-5000 miles. For example, we rotate our firestone winterforce tires more often because they have a history of uneven block wear. We haven't had an issue over several sets of tires..

Most tires get noisier with wear, but 7000 miles should not be that much wear.
Unread 10-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #5
kkreit01

Where did you buy the Falkens? If they are cupped, it should be covered under tire manufacturer warranty. I purchased a new 09 Aspen in 2/10. It was sitting on the lot for over 1 year. The OE GY SRA tires shook. I took it to a Goodyear dealer, and they said the tires were out-of-round. Goodyear covered them in full, and I was able to use their full retail value towards a new set of Silent Armors. I was happy, and never looked back.
kkreit01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #6
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Tires

Michelin is known for having the best quality control on their tires which is part of the reason they cost so much. Followed by Bridgestone(not their Firestone line), Toyo, Yokohama, Pirelli, and Continental.

Falken just doesnt have the rep for quality like the top tier tire makers.

At the bottom are Goodyear except for a a few of their tires and BFG a Michelin owned company. WIth Goodyear you pay Michelin prices for awful quality control.

The problem is the staff at most tire stores just doesnt have a clue about the products they sell. You need to find the tire store in your area where all the track day junkies and SCCA racers go for their tires. Find a tire store that shaves race tires and can balance the tires on the vehicle.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #7
JTDJeep
2011 WK 

stilljeepin-do you happen to still have the 20s? If it were mine, I'd swap those back on and drive it for a bit to see if there is any cupping on those, then you know it is an alignment issue.
JTDJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrdbym View Post

And what evidence do you have that Falkens are made any "cheaper" than any other mainstream tire brand?
See many at work and all cupped no matter what vehicle there mounted on.Seen many tires that just cup no matter what.

I'd stay away from Michelin tires(along with BFG's) as they use less materials in there tires(claim to fame "get better mpg's",yep since they skimped on the rubber) and BFG's just plain have week sidewalls unless you get there actual Krawler tires.
Unread 10-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #9
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

????

Quote:
See many at work and all cupped no matter what vehicle there mounted on.Seen many tires that just cup no matter what.

I'd stay away from Michelin tires(along with BFG's) as they use less materials in there tires(claim to fame "get better mpg's",yep since they skimped on the rubber) and BFG's just plain have week sidewalls unless you get there actual Krawler tires.
Wrong on Michelin they dont skimp. Don't know where you heard that. Probably from a competing tire rep. BFG just doesnt have good quality control.
Unread 10-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #10
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti View Post
Wrong on Michelin they dont skimp. Don't know where you heard that. Probably from a competing tire rep. BFG just doesnt have good quality control.
Try patching one,you will find out in about 1.5 seconds that it's much less material then even the cheapest china made tires.Plus they advertise less weight for mpg's,less weight means less material.
Unread 10-10-2013, 10:42 PM   #11
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Every tire model within a brand is different, the SUV and LT tires are typically "thicker", where passenger rated and highway tires are amazingly thin... but that does not mean skimp or poor quality... the belting material is quite strong as well as the newer rubber compounds. Some of these so called skimpy Michelin models have garnered widespread praise for performance and durability.

If you are driving logging trails, you may want a tire that can handle thorns, debris, and abuse however.

Its not that simple.
Unread 10-11-2013, 06:45 AM   #12
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Patching

Quote:
Try patching one,you will find out in about 1.5 seconds that it's much less material then even the cheapest china made tires.Plus they advertise less weight for mpg's,less weight means less material.
Might want to read Michelin's warranty regarding patching. Just because a tire has more material and more weight doesnt mean its a great tire. Any tire is a compromise between dry and wet weather performance, Durability, longevity etc. Worse tires I ever owned for the OEM Goodyear Wranglers on my 2006 Honda Element. IWhen I switched over to a set of Michelin X Ice winter tires the change in tire performance in all conditions was dramatic. The owner of the tire store, a SCCA and IMSA driver commented on the dramatic change. I hate low rolling resistance tires. can remember the good ole days when the Phoenix Strahlflex was the hot autox and street performance tire. Tire was scary in the wet and no fun driving across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge in 40mph+ winds and driving rain.

I used to crew for IMSA team and later was the pit crew chief for a friend of mine who was running SCCA regionals and nationals. I specialized in suspensions and tires. I also ran my local BMWCCA chapters drivers' school program and had nice 3 series track day car. So hoss I have probably forgotten more about tires and their design and performance than most folks on this list.

Also remember most folks on this list have GCs and 98% dont even see dirt roads. If they have ATs or MTs on their GCs for most its all for show.

The Michelins on my GC take me across fields and dirt and muddy roads w/o any problems. I dont need an AT or MT and have winter tires for the snow and ice.

If you want to put cheap Chinese tires on your vehicles be my quest. Weight and extra material dont make a great performing or durable tire.
Unread 10-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #13
bobooch

Quote:
The Michelins on my GC take me across fields and dirt and muddy roads w/o any problems. I dont need an AT or MT and have winter tires for the snow and ice.
Which Michelins do you have? I have the stock Latitudes but they are cuppe dna dworn out and need to be replaced after 32k miles - never see much "off rroading" mainly ice and snow here in IL.
bobooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #14
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Oem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobooch View Post
Which Michelins do you have? I have the stock Latitudes but they are cuppe dna dworn out and need to be replaced after 32k miles - never see much "off rroading" mainly ice and snow here in IL.
Stock Latitudes with 24000+ miles on them. I run Blizzaks in the winter. I also have the V6.
Unread 10-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #15
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Might want to read Michelin's warranty regarding patching. Just because a tire has more material and more weight doesnt mean its a great tire. Any tire is a compromise between dry and wet weather performance, Durability, longevity etc. Worse tires I ever owned for the OEM Goodyear Wranglers on my 2006 Honda Element. IWhen I switched over to a set of Michelin X Ice winter tires the change in tire performance in all conditions was dramatic. The owner of the tire store, a SCCA and IMSA driver commented on the dramatic change. I hate low rolling resistance tires. can remember the good ole days when the Phoenix Strahlflex was the hot autox and street performance tire. Tire was scary in the wet and no fun driving across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge in 40mph+ winds and driving rain.

I used to crew for IMSA team and later was the pit crew chief for a friend of mine who was running SCCA regionals and nationals. I specialized in suspensions and tires. I also ran my local BMWCCA chapters drivers' school program and had nice 3 series track day car. So hoss I have probably forgotten more about tires and their design and performance than most folks on this list.

Also remember most folks on this list have GCs and 98% dont even see dirt roads. If they have ATs or MTs on their GCs for most its all for show.

If you want to put cheap Chinese tires on your vehicles be my quest. Weight and extra material dont make a great performing or durable tire.
Snow tires will always give better traction,that's just common sense since they are very soft rubber.Hard rubber = less traction,also known a LRR tires,just plain junk unless you never drive on anything but dry pavement all the time.

I have to run MT's,nothing else in my size,well any tire worth a damn,no snow tires no good AT's,only MT's.Had to many issues with BFG's(both KM1's and AT's) that you could not pay me to run a BFG tire.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.