Cross Bars (I need recommendations) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Cross Bars (I need recommendations)

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!KOR Labor Week Sale and Giveaway

Unread 01-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #16
adamchrtrnd
2015 WK 

This is probably a dumb question, but does anyone know if the chrome side bars can be installed and at what cost? By the way WKdeuce, I love the White GC. I decided to go with the black altitude.. not sure if I regret it yet.

Unread 01-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #17
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamchrtrnd View Post
This is probably a dumb question, but does anyone know if the chrome side bars can be installed and at what cost? By the way WKdeuce, I love the White GC. I decided to go with the black altitude.. not sure if I regret it yet.
Yes your dealer can do it. Dunno the current rate. The rails are about $240 and the cross bars about $260 but I think you can get no names on eBay for less.

This used to be a PITA drill and attach but one of the clever Jeepers found a bolt on bolt off install method. If you are handy with a wrench it looks like a fairly easy DIY. There is a step by step posted on one of the forums.
Unread 01-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #18
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2013 JK Wrangler 

I prefer Yakima; use a hitch mounted bike carrier and cross bars (roof mounted) snowboard/ski carrier [FatCat 6].

Some people like the shorter cross bars, where I prefer the "medium" length that extends slightly beyond the towers. Gives a more balanced look to the width of the Jeep and it also allows for more attachments, where the guys that go with shorter bars will be SOL.

Yakima = USA company, though they manufacture some stuff in Mexico
Thule = Swedish
DangFoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #19
adamchrtrnd
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangFoo View Post
I prefer Yakima; use a hitch mounted bike carrier and cross bars (roof mounted) snowboard/ski carrier [FatCat 6].

Some people like the shorter cross bars, where I prefer the "medium" length that extends slightly beyond the towers. Gives a more balanced look to the width of the Jeep and it also allows for more attachments, where the guys that go with shorter bars will be SOL.

Yakima = USA company, though they manufacture some stuff in Mexico
Thule = Swedish
Thank you for the info!
Unread 01-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #20
2MchFun
2011 WK 

Definitely better to have the bars extend a bit beyond the towers. It allows you to better secure gear up there by giving you better anchor points.
I went with the Mopar crossbars and like them very much.
Unread 01-24-2013, 06:37 AM   #21
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MchFun View Post
Definitely better to have the bars extend a bit beyond the towers. It allows you to better secure gear up there by giving you better anchor points.
My thoughts exactly.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #22
Kev M
2012 WK 

Follow up question on the OEM or Yakima cross bars.

How easy/quick are they to come on/off? Do they secure with bolts or locks or ???

That could be the difference to help us make up our minds which way we want to go.
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #23
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The OEMs are clamps to the rail with theft deterrent screws and have a locked on cover. A determined thief could defeat them, but it would take perhaps 10 minutes for him to unscrew the clamps one he spent a minute pulling or breaking the lock.

There is a bit of fiddling and some tips that speed up installation of the cross rails. Takes maybe 15-20 minutes to install if you take your time, maybe 10-15 to remove.
Unread 01-27-2013, 10:03 AM   #24
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
Follow up question on the OEM or Yakima cross bars.

How easy/quick are they to come on/off? Do they secure with bolts or locks or ???

That could be the difference to help us make up our minds which way we want to go.
On Yakima's system, it would take about 5 minutes to remove the bars. You would first unlock a collar on each tower (locks are a option you have to buy) that pivots down towards you. That exposes a small claw that will loosen with a few turns of a screw attached to it. Then you simply slde the cross bar off. (just have to first remove a cap on the end of the bars) I haven't had the opportunity to try this new set of towers yet, but going on past performance, I'm sure I'll like them. Although it was slightly easier with my old towers, (new towers require a small hex head tool to loosen that screw, so you have to keep that handy) it's still pretty quick & simple with the new ones.
Unread 01-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #25
Kev M
2012 WK 

Thanks guys!

Mick, that sounds like the Yakima might be worth it, if we plan on detaching them often.

I wonder if the OEM ones are noisy, or if we'd just leave them in place?
Unread 01-27-2013, 12:06 PM   #26
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The OEMs when installed properly are quiet, don't notice them (they have an airfoil shape that if put on backward will be noisier).
Unread 01-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #27
F16driver
2013 WK 

Quote:
I have the Mopar cross bars and they've worked great so far. IIRC they have a 150lb weight limit. I'm not sure what the Yakima/Thule weight limit is but that may be an issue for you. I leave mine on all the time and don't hear any extra wind noise even with the panoramic sunroof open. That is definitely not the case with the Thule MOAB cargo basket that I use. That is pretty noisy but is well worth it for long trips when I have the dogs in the back.
Unread 01-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #28
Kev M
2012 WK 

Really appreciate the info guys! Thanks.
Unread 01-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #29
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Thanks guys!

Mick, that sounds like the Yakima might be worth it, if we plan on detaching them often.

No doubt, if you're going to remove the bars often, I think you'll be happy with the Yakimas. And if you haul a canoe like I do, I highly recommend the gunwale brackets. Trust me, they're well worth it. I bought the towers at Amazon for $157 (plus tax) & free 2 day shipping. (sign up for free prime (2 day) shipping for a month when you place the order) IIRC, they were $175 at Yakima's site plus shipping. (not sure about tax) Even the girl at Yakima (when I called & asked some ?s I had) said to go with Amazon for the better price. I already had gift cards with them, so I didn't shop any further to see if I could do better. I really doubt it though, since I got the free prime shipping for a month.
I have no experience with the OEM bars, so I can't comment on them.
Unread 01-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #30
kensil
2012 WK 

The new Yakima Whispbars are also worth considering. They have several types. Since I use mine primarily for hauling skis and a cargo box, I chose the "flush" mount that does not extend past the towers. When I took the Jeep in for service, the people at the dealership really liked it and said it looked easier to install than the Mopar rack. They also said the bars mounted further apart than the Mopar rack, which should provide better support for cargo boxes.

~ Ken
whispbar-flush-bar-roof-rack.jpg  
kensil is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.