Cross Bars (I need recommendations) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Cross Bars (I need recommendations)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 01-21-2013, 11:08 PM   #1
adamchrtrnd
2015 WK 

Cross Bars (I need recommendations)

Hey guys/gals,

I have a 2013 WK2 Altitude and I am looking to get a set of cross bars as my Jeep didn't come with them. I normally do not like the OEM cross bars - they don't seem to be sturdy. I do have the side bars that comes with the Grand Cherokee so if anyone has any recommendations it would be greatly appreciated!

I primarily will be using the cross bars for my ski and bike attachments and will be getting some type of cargo bin in the future to utilize for camping gear.

Thanks,
Adam

Unread 01-21-2013, 11:21 PM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Doe your altitude have the chrome metal rails on the roof, or the black plastic?
Unread 01-21-2013, 11:33 PM   #3
adamchrtrnd
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Doe your altitude have the chrome metal rails on the roof, or the black plastic?
It has the black plastic ones. I don't think I have seen the chrome ones.
Unread 01-21-2013, 11:52 PM   #4
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The black plastic is decorative, not functional. So you will not only need cross bars, you need the OEM roof rails the cross bars attache to. Several altitude owners have discovered this to their dismay, and there have been quite a few threads on the subject. If I recall correctly, you have choices that range from cross bars that clamp to the door/roof to installing the OEM rails. Jeep sells the rails in their accessory catalog. The cross bars are a thule design, and many of their components fit. There have been quite a few discussion threads. Anyway you do have some choices.

The PITA of installing the OEM rails is that four fasteners need to be drilled out and replaced. I've read recently, however, that you can fit the OEM rails without that hassle because leaving the end fasteners loose enough to slide the end caps on works perfectly. The rails themselves are solidly bolted to the roof using the existing fasteners and the end caps are held securely in place by the rails.
Unread 01-22-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
MickinNY
2013 WK 

I've used Yakima in the past & just ordered the towers for my 2013 Laredo X. I already have the cross bars & everything else I need, so it was a no brainer to stick with them. Not to mention I just like their products. I haul a canoe & the round bars accept gunwale brackets that really lock the canoe in place to prevent any side to side movement. They work great.
But like ColdCase mentioned, it looks like you'll need the chrome rails added. That does seem pretty lame they would put plastic rails on the more expensive model. What the heck are they thinking when they do that?
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
The black plastic is decorative, not functional. So you will not only need cross bars, you need the OEM roof rails the cross bars attache to. Several altitude owners have discovered this to their dismay, and there have been quite a few threads on the subject. If I recall correctly, you have choices that range from cross bars that clamp to the door/roof to installing the OEM rails. Jeep sells the rails in their accessory catalog. The cross bars are a thule design, and many of their components fit. There have been quite a few discussion threads. Anyway you do have some choices.
You are F'n kidding me!

SOOOOOOOOOO PISSED AT JEEP.

Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #7
Kev M
2012 WK 

WAIT - hold the phone - maybe not pissed.

This black "decorative" ones only come on Laredos?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/roof-rails-1413908/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkldouglas View Post
Hey All,
I hope this isn't a duplicate thread. I have looked through the forum but can't seem to find what I am looking for.
I bought a Base Laredo that came with the black roof rails. I want to put a roof rack on for ski season, but I don't want to have to clip it into the door frame. So, does anyone know if it is possible to replace the black rails with the chrome ones that came on the Limited and up without having to do body work on the roof?
Thanks
So we only need the crossbars (OEM or aftermarket) on a Limited?
Unread 01-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

If your roof rails are chrome, you just need cross bars. If they are black plastic, you also need the chrome rails.

Base Laredos and Altitudes have the black I think, but I'm not sure.
Unread 01-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
Kev M
2012 WK 

I'll check when I run out later... but I'm PRETTY sure there's chrome on our rails!
Unread 01-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #10
adamchrtrnd
2015 WK 

I have the black plastic ones on my Altitude which is very frustrating... Especially since the MSRP on the tuck was $42k. Thankfully I only paid $34,200 - but still.
Unread 01-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #11
shekshishekki
2013 WK 

while we're at it...is it true that Thule Crossbars are only 47" for the GC? I went through their fitment guide and it gave me a 47" crossbar.
shekshishekki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #12
adamchrtrnd
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekshishekki View Post
while we're at it...is it true that Thule Crossbars are only 47" for the GC? I went through their fitment guide and it gave me a 47" crossbar.
I believe I have seen that number before for the fitment, but I cannot be sure I haven't gone that route yet. That is just under 4 feet - so I would imagine it would be correct. I was hoping to avoid a cross bar like that.
Unread 01-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #13
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The Yakima & Thule are more expensive, and their design isn't as low of a profile as the Mopar.
Even at that, I think the Mopar ones are too much, I don't like that the crossbar extends past the tower.
I'm just glad I could mount them without changing the roof rails...

WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #14
Kev M
2012 WK 

WKd - so which ones did you go with?
Unread 01-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #15
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
WKd - so which ones did you go with?
The Mopar ones. I guess there's a damn tree in the way in that pic.
The only other shot I have of it ain't much better.

WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.