creeping wipers - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 08-02-2017, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
VaGreenMachine

creeping wipers

I'm new to this forum and hope the moderator doesn't get mad at me for posting this in a better place (general discussions not quite right)
I just traded in my 06 Commander for the WK2 and I'm still finding the differences. One thing that's strange is that after a day or two, the wipers are about 6"s up from the normal parked position. Couple of questions, Is this normal? Would it go away if the wipers stopped a little further down (wind the cause maybe?)

A tap on the Wash cycle and they park in the lower position, but I cannot figure out why they creep up.

Thanks
Franco in Springfield.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-02-2017, 07:39 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

This is the right place for WK2 discussions. Mods here don't get mad, just even

Wipers should park anytime they are off, sounds like the position sensor may be off or damaged. What year WK2?

Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 21 Old 08-03-2017, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
VaGreenMachine

It is a 2011, and I prolly should have stated this. A simple tap of the wash button and they park back in the normal place. I took it to the dealer and all they told me is that something is not right. When they park the blades are just on top of the dots on the bottom of the windscreen. I'm thinking that maybe this is just high enough that wind gets under them and pushes against the wiper blade enough to move it up 3 to 5 inches.

Should they park below the dots on the windscreen?

Thanks

post #4 of 21 Old 08-03-2017, 06:29 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

They should park over an inch into the black below the dots.

"The park switch is a single pole, single throw, momentary switch within the wiper motor that is mechanically actuated by the wiper motor transmission components. The park switch alternately closes the wiper park switch sense circuit to ground or to battery current, depending upon the position of the wipers on the glass. This feature allows the motor to complete its current wipe cycle after the wiper system has been turned OFF, and to park the wiper blades in the lowest portion of the wipe pattern"

Sounds like you may need a wiper motor.

post #5 of 21 Old 08-08-2017, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
VaGreenMachine

Is it possible for this Single Pole Switch within the motor to come loose? Here's why I ask. If i depress the wash button the wipers move and store correctly, however, on driving for about 2 hours the wipers creep up until they are well above the dots. Hit the wash and bingo they are back properly stored. Went to the dealer yesterday, and they could not find anything wrong despite driving it around the block (it was raining of course its not gonna fail)
I showed them a picture but that evidently wasn't good enough. It seems to me that the internal switch is loose, on using the wipers it slides and they park properly, but when I drive for a period of time it moves down causing the wipers to center higher on the windscreen. Possible?
I would post a picture if I could figure out how to post one.
Thanks
Franco
post #6 of 21 Old 08-08-2017, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
VaGreenMachine

picture after just one hour drive they eventually move over top of the inspection sticker
Attached Images

post #7 of 21 Old 08-08-2017, 07:16 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

New members have a probationary period where they wont let you post photos.

Can you physically move the wipers off their stowed position without having to drive around? Or must you drive it.?

Sounds more like the wiper transmission is not preventing the wipers from creeping up than a switch issue.

post #8 of 21 Old 08-11-2017, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
VaGreenMachine

Ok this is gonna make anyone following this link crazy. Just now I was in the driveway. With Key fob in my pocket on the passenger side with the door open I bend down to pull out the mat, and I hear a click. I look up and the wipers have moved from the park position up a bit. I sit in the passenger seat and press the 2x button down once and the wipers jump up a notch. Pressing it again and they are in the position shown above.

I press the 2x button quickly but the car does not start. I move to the driver side and start the car normally. The wipers do a complete cycle parking correctly. Now I return to the passenger side and press the lock button twice, the windows go down, but the unlock button doesn'twork.

I start the car normally, and everything starts working correctly again... Whaz up?

Is there a button combination to put the windows up?

Tks
Franco n Springfield
post #9 of 21 Old 08-11-2017, 01:43 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

In 2011 there were some undocumented FOB key sequences that activated one function or another.... I don't recall them off hand... but you may have one of the haunted vehicles too

post #10 of 21 Old 08-15-2017, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
VaGreenMachine

My son seems to think that there is a position that is used by mechanics to allow them easier access when doing wiper maintenance. He called it a maintenance position. So my questions are, is there such a position, and can it be set off by some keyfob key combination?

Thanks
post #11 of 21 Old 08-19-2017, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
VaGreenMachine

new update,
I have found that the wipers jump up about a 1/2 inch when the passenger side door is open and I depress the lock button on the keyfob. I'm now trying to determine if I can get the same action from both keyfobs or just the one on Dad's keychain. The real problem I have is that it is hard to duplicate. Just because it does it once, doesn't mean I can immediately repeat the action. I changed out the batteries in both fobs so it has nothing to do with signal strength. Also, there are occasions when I can get this wiper jump by depressing the lock button on the door, usually the driver door, but also the button on the tail gate. Does anyone know if there is indeed a "SERVICE POSITION" for the wipers that might be the culprit?

Thanks
post #12 of 21 Old 08-19-2017, 06:49 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The FSM does not mention a service position.

The TIPM controls the wipers. You could have found a software glitch where the TIPM sends a power blip to the wiper motor under some conditions.... or a sticky relay.. but dunno. The TIPM has been known to do some crazy things, so has a poor ground connection. Do you have rain sensing wipers? If so, does it matter whether the sensing is enabled or not?
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 8.46.45 AM.jpg  

post #13 of 21 Old 08-21-2017, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
VaGreenMachine

Mine does NOT have rain sense, and I have made two more observations. This morning I stepped on the brake pedal and the wipers jumped up about a 1/4 inch. Over the weekend I had a really significant jump, however, this when I left the driver side door and the rear hatch up for an extended period. I was at the flying field and unloaded some stuff to take to the hangar, got distracted and returned about 40 minutes later. As soon as I touched the handle on the door the wipers jumped, I was startled and pulled my hand away, on each successive touch of the handle the wipers jumped until the blades were well over the inspection sticker shown in the photo above. Now here's the curious and perhaps important part. I mistakenly thought that as soon as I pressed the Start button they would cycle as they were well outside the point of park, but nothing happened and it took a Wash cycle to get them to return. Is mine the only one to do this?

Tks for your continued support I really like the skematic
post #14 of 21 Old 08-21-2017, 09:03 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I don't recall anyone mentioning similar symptoms here. Although many have noticed a single sweep now and then.

Could be power is leaking through the TIPM or harness to the wiper circuit, but I'm just guessing. Could be the park switch is not detecting the creep which is not reseting the wiper with a single sweep.

The difference between some of the parking actions may be due to the state of the park switch which depends on the amount of creep.

post #15 of 21 Old 08-21-2017, 09:07 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I don't know about the schematic as the wiper on off relay seems to be switching B+ between the wiper motor and ground though pin 14. You'd think that would blow fuse J20

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.