Coolant Level - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Coolant Level

The Cure for your Tie Rod Roll!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-08-2015, 12:03 PM   #1
eaglescout1987
2014 WK 

Coolant Level

Hello All,

I have a coolant level question for everyone. A few months ago, I noticed the coolant level right at minimum mark on the reservoir. Didn't think much of it figuring maybe it was just cold from winter. However by March it was below the minimum mark so when I was getting my CAT swapped out (yep, been there too) I made the dealer top it off. It was right at Max when I checked after I got home. Last weekend I decided to check a few things over after a little road trip and the coolant was back near (but still above) the Min line. Seems to be well lower than what it was just a few weeks ago. To be clear, the coolant was at normal operating temperature when I checked both times just after shutting off the engine.

I am beginning to think I have a slow coolant leak somewhere. I have not had any overheating issues or warning indicators come on. The fluid is bright pink as I think it should be. I know the level doesn't stay perfectly consistent, but it seems concerning.

Since I don't have an assigned parking space at my building, I can't easily tell if there is a leak from under the car. I really don't want to go back over to the dealer (for the 7th time in 16 months) on a hunch but I also don't want to ignore it either necessarily. Should I fill it back up to the Max line and see if it goes down again? Should I get an oil analysis done? Is there some other method I could use? Or am I just being paranoid? Thanks for the input.

Unread 05-08-2015, 12:27 PM   #2
HVACNY
Web Wheeler

2013 WK 

Sometimes the vehicle gets a small drip that drips onto a hot engine part and steams off,so you may never get to see the fluid on the floor.I would go under there with a bright flashlight after driving it,and go under after its been sitting for awhile.I would check the water pump area to start and look for wet areas.Do you smell hot coolant after you park when you go in front of the Jeep?

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 Hemi
HVACNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2015, 12:44 PM   #3
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Make sure radiator cap is on tight and hose between radiator and overflow connected well. When cool/cold, open the radiator cap and check where the coolant level is in the neck. Should be within an inch of the top. First thing the dealer would likely try, if there is nothing obvious, is to replace the radiator cap. You can try that yourself and either fix it or save a trip.
Unread 05-08-2015, 03:04 PM   #4
eaglescout1987
2014 WK 

Just drove home and smelled around once I arrived. Nothing that smells like coolant to me. Everything looks dry. I'll have to wait till tomorrow morning when it's cool to check the cap and underneath. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the suggestions so far. Enjoy your weekend!
eaglescout1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.