Coolant leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Coolant leak

August special - FREE XJ Unibody stiffeners when you buy a~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!

Unread 09-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #1
TheSiltSurfer
2012 WK 

Just dropped my baby off at the dealership, noticed it leaking coolant this morning popped open the hood & it was dry in the reservoir. it appeared to be leaking from water pump? Possibly the thermostat housing ?fluid was everywhere . Anyhow Godbless warranties well have to wait till next week keep y'all posted

Unread 09-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
TheSiltSurfer
2012 WK 

Dealer called me & said the water pump "had ***** the bed" ��so it failed in other words. Ordering me a new one should have her back Monday +) all praises to warranty. Then again I'm only at 10 thousand miles and it already went threw one water pump **** son!
Unread 09-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
MaineJeep11
2011 WK 

Glad they caught it and fixed it now instead of when you're out in the mountains or in the dunes at least. Not fun to have such an important component fail at 10k though. Like you said, good thing for the warranty!
Unread 09-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
padgett
2012 WK 

That is an early failure but past the bathtub curve. Need to check for a belt misalignment, that can torque the water pump shaft and make the seal fail prematurely. If so should see wear on one edge of the sepentine belt. Other possibilities but is the most likely.

One of these is a turbo diesel.
Unread 09-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
TheSiltSurfer
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by padgett
That is an early failure but past the bathtub curve. Need to check for a belt misalignment, that can torque the water pump shaft and make the seal fail prematurely. If so should see wear on one edge of the sepentine belt. Other possibilities but is the most likely.

One of these is a turbo diesel.
Good points! I'll let them know Monday to check the belts ect, it's under warranty so doesn't bother me if I have to leave it a week and let them fix everything correctly besides I have a WJ and I can drive on the side so I'm good. Thanks !
Unread 04-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #6
hobbie1
2011 WK 

Interesting - mine is failing at 29,000 miles. Called the dealer and the water pumps are on hold - none available. They have to call Chrysler on Monday. Also found out that my left front CV axle boot has failed, grease is everywhere. This is my sixth Jeep and seems to be the worse. Transfer case, water pump and CV boot. Not good for a unit that is garaged and attended to.
2013 Ford Mustang GT and 1966 Ford Mustang 289 5-SPD 289
hobbie1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.